“Homey Place with a Great View”
Review of Breakfast at Grumpy's - CLOSED

Breakfast at Grumpy's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed June 15, 2013

As locals, we have the pleasure of enjoying Grumpys year round. Going there feels like catching up with an old friend. Food is fresh and individually prepared. The atmosphere is simple and somewhat rustic, decorated with some beautiful photographs of local sights. The view over Southwest Harbor is fantastic, varying seasonally and indeed daily. As we've only been at Grumpy for breakfast, I can't reflect on lunch, which is also served by this restaurant. I can vouch for breakfasts being tasty and unhurried with friendly service.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

great service and lots of yummy food. A great view of the harbor. Good value. Our kids loved the pancakes.

1  Thank J Y
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We had an incredible breakfast/experience at Grumpys in Southwest Harbor. As MDI is a purely tourist island, many of our other meals tasted premade and generic. Grumpy makes everything from scratch and by hand- I had an incredible eggs Benedict, my wife had huevo rancheros with freshly made salsa and avocados. They have homemade wheat bread that is unreal. Mr. and Mrs. Grumpy then sat with us and just chatted for an hour, which is something we love. Definitely visit Grumpys if you're on that side of the island, you'll love it

Few thoughts-
-As Grumpy makes everything himself, I bet in the busy summer months it can be a wait. We were the only patrons as its preseason and it was easily the best breakfast we had on the island. In the summer go early, they open at 7.
-The view is amazing. Overlooks the harbor.
-They used to open 4 days a week through the winter, but they will not be doing that this winter (2013), closed for the season.

Gotta try Grumpys for a real breakfast like you'd make at home.

1  Thank Emperor175
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place is a great place for a superb breakfast if you don't mind waiting. The view is amazing. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. If you have a leisurely morning, this is a great place to be.

1  Thank littletexasgal
Reviewed November 5, 2012

By husband and I recently spent a few days in Bar Harbor. While we were there we took a day and traveled down to Southwest Harbor. We visited mid October so this little village was a little dead, and we didn't see much to do there. We did however, decide to eat at Grumpy's. This was a good selection because I wanted breakfast, but my husband wanted lunch so Grumpy's offered both. When we approached the restaurant at about 10:45am, there was no one around. I tried the door and it was opened so we went inside only to find no one. We called out and waited around for a couple of minutes and then a lady came out from the kitchen. She turned out to be the waitress, hostess, cook and cashier. I ordered blueberry pancakes with bacon and my husband had a burger. I have to say the pancakes were huge, thick and delicious. My only gripe would be she gave me "Fake" maple syrup. I was sure I would have been offered fresh blueberry syrup or pure maple syrup since we were in Maine! I decided I would ask for some, but she was busy cooking in the kitchen because another couple had come in to dine as well. This is probably the place to go in the summer, and if I would have had that fresh blueberry syrup I would have given rave reviews of the pancake breakfast. My husband burger was good as well.