“Not the best place for younger travelers”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Southwest Harbor
The Claremont Hotel
Duluth, MN
“Not the best place for younger travelers”
Reviewed February 9, 2010

My boyfriend and I stay here in Sept 2009. We are in our late 20's/early 30's. We were by far the youngest guests at this hotel. Very quiet place to stay. We enjoyed the row boats and croquet courts, but we used them just to say we did it. The hotel could use some updates, but I did like the nostalgic feel. We did not eat at the on-site restaurant, but it did seem overpriced. We did enjoy a few drinks at the hotel bar/lounge and they were reasonably priced. Overall, I would not stay here again, but I would certainly recommend this property to my parents!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
new york
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Average hotel, overpriced restaurant. Am I the only one who thinks this? I get the old bit...and the location is beautiful. But "old" does not equal dirty and threadbare. Our bathroom was in a state of disrepair as was our bed linen. When we raised this initially with the staff I was amazed with the reaction. Another staff member thankfully the next day was a little more understanding thankfully, but unfortunately my first impression sticks. As for the food...poor breakfast, and we only ate at the restaurant once, and that was once too often and sadly overpriced.

1 Thank thebigmig
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I booked a two bedroom cottage at the Claremont Hotel in Southwest Harbor for a quiet getaway with my partner and my brother and his fiance. The cottage was nestled in the woods, quiet, and serene. There were grounds which covered several cottages, the hotel, and the dock/harborside bar. We ate at the restaurant which was lovely and enjoyed cocktails at the dock for the sunset. There was also live jazz on Saturday evening at the Rouse House, croquet on the lawn, afternoon tea with freshly baked cookies, and the convenience of high speed wireless internet. Southwest Harbor was also a lovely little town and not too far from Thurston's Lobster Pound, views of the rocky shoreline, and getting over to the other side to bike or hike on the carriage roads. We were able to get everywhere we wished without much hassle at all and it was a relief to go back to the serene atmosphere of the Claremont at the end of the day. The staff was friendly and helpful and willing to make dinner reservations and recommendations, and accommodate special requests. I would highly recommend a stay here, especially for a special occasion. When I come back to Acadia, this is where I would stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
rome, italy
Reviewed October 1, 2009

we loved our stay at the claremont hotel!
the staff was so helpful, the ambiance relaxing and elegant in an old-world kind of way.
we so enjoyed not having a computer, tv and radio!! the food was excellent, and my husband is Italian and certainly picky about his food---he gave the claremont a big thumbs up!
and besides all that, this part of maine is just gorgeous!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Rockville, MD
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Our stay at the Claremont Hotel in Southwest Harbor was nearly perfect. We knew going in that this is an old-style hotel and not a modern chain. That's why we picked it. I don't know if you could find a more perfect location. We spent our afternoons sitting on the back porch in rockers or on the lawn in adirondack chairs sipping wine and watching the boats in the sound. The same view awaits all guests for breakfast. It's stunning. We were also treated to a croquet tournament while we were there, so we watched the matches as we ate. (The Claremount's croquet courts and equipment are open to guests. They also have a private dock and rowboats for guest use.)

The rooms were small and simple, but very comfortable. We had a beautiful sleigh bed with exceedingly comfortable linens. Our windows caught the cool breezes at night. On cool nights and days, the staff keeps a fire burning in the lobby. The fireplace is flanked by comfortable reading chairs.

The staff at the Claremont is wonderful. The level of service is quite high and they go out of their way to ensure guests' comfort.

My only complaint/concern about the Claremont is the level of maintenance. The grounds are BEAUTIFULLY maintained, but our room and a few other spots inside the hotel could use some work. There were obvious signs of water damage in our room (patches, open holes in the bathroom ceiling, staining on the ceiling) and while we were there, there was one active leak. We reported this to the staff and hope that it's a case of needing to wait until the off season to undertake major repairs. Other small items, like a broken spindle on the stair rail, caught our attention, too. Even with these issues, I'd stay at the Claremont again in a heartbeat.

Westport, Ct
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We simply love the Claremont and have been coming here for years. There just aren't many hotels left like it. The working elevator is 19th century! There isn't a more gorgeous view from any hotel in New England and the relaxed, personal and historic feel of the place just can't be matched. To our amazement, the food -- which for many years was only okay -- is suddenly a highlight -- the new chef is terrific and the view from the dining room is as beautiful as Maine gets. This is a special place.

The accomodations are simple but mostly charming and vary greatly -- it is worth asking lots of questions when you book .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We stayed at the Claremont for 3 nights recently, and I can't wait to go back! What a wonderful, old-style New England hotel. If you are looking for something plush and luxurious, go elsewhere, but that is not what the Claremont is about.

The setting of the Claremont is gorgeous, right on the water, with pretty lawns leading right down to the harbor. There is a fire burning in the lobby fireplace at all times (or at least there was when we were there, even in late July), which lends a welcoming and cozy air from the moment you walk in the door. The common rooms are quiet and comfortable, and the ample porches a great place to read a book or enjoy a drink.

Our room was plenty large with a nice bathroom. Only the basics are there--comfortable bed, two wicker armchairs, and a dresser. No TV or radio--it's just not part of the experience at the Claremont. Wireless internet access was pretty reliable in our room and is free of charge. There is no A/C, but a fan was provided in our room.

Our first night we had a lovely dinner in Xanthus, the hotel's restaurant. It is a lovely room with views of the water, and the food was very good. A little expensive, but not out of line for the area or for the quality of the food. Breakfast is served in this same room, and it is warm and bright even when the weather is grey outside.

The hotel is impeccably clean and the service is easygoing yet attentive.

I had only two gripes--neither of which would keep me from going back. The first is not within the hotel's control: the noise from room to room is a little disruptive, and makes things feel a little less than private. Our last morning there our neighbors (couldn't tell if they were upstairs or next door) took showers at 5:30 am and the sound of the water in the pipes was so loud it woke us both. This is an old hotel so this kind of thing comes with the territory, but you should be aware that it isn't a soundproof place by any stretch.

The other matter IS within the hotel's control. Breakfasts were not up to snuff, in my opinion. The buffet includes fruit, cereal, and pastries, and is utterly forgettable. There are two hot choices each morning. The first morning I had blueberry pancakes which were excellent, but the second morning I had eggs which were below average. My boyfriend didn't think his breakfast was great either morning. Orange juice tasted like it was from concentrate. At a place like this (and with this price-tag), I expected a bit more.

Still, these problems aside, the Claremont is a very special place to which I hope to return again and again. For a wonderful Mt. Desert getaway, it's hard to imagine something better than this.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,622 reviews
Acadia Inn
Acadia Inn
#14 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to The Claremont Hotel? Share your experiences!