“Over and Above”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
South Carolina
“Over and Above”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We like Hampton - you know what to expect. Well this one surpassed our expectations. We were there 3 nights. Would you believe that we came in after the first afternoon being very tired and they had a pot of soup in the lobby for guests. They did this every night we were there. They let us do a very late check out because our flight did not leave until late and I was not feeling well. The staff went overboard to help us. We have stayed at other airport hotels and they are not usually this good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingexpert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed November 21, 2011

After a hectic week at work, my wife was ready for a get-a-away weekend. I decided to take her to our favorite place, Maine. I am now an exclusive Hampton Inn customer. This hotel is remarkable. The staff is so polite and friendly. Rooms are great, beds very comfortable. The breakfast (free) is as great as any purchased at a restaurant. Different courses every day. If you are touring the Portland areaand surrounding communities, this location is perfect. If you're "budget conscious", as I, the rates are great. Another great stay. Already booked are next trip.

Thanks, Hampton

Room Tip: Clarify smoking or not. Adjoining rooms with door access to each other may be available if requested...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Kingston, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stay at the Hampton Inn in South Portland frequently. I do stand up comedy in Maine, a lot and no matter where I am the hotel's convenient to get to. Whether coming back down from somewhere on i95.
The service is great, the breakfast is excellent, as is the coffee. I have nothing but good things to say about staying with them. It is the only place I stay while in Maine now - even, over staying at my family's house - privacy is nice. Excellent hospitality. Very friendly personable service and helpful, i didn't have a toothbrush or toothpaste and they were able to supply me one. Very clean hotel. Simplicity in getting a reservation is key for me, as well... And I'm there again this week.

When I lost power for a few days recently, I was glad to be able to have the Hampton Inn in South Portland there for me. I drove an hour and a half and it was worth it.
Thanks,
-Bryce

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
halifax, ns
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Decent Hotel, older property that has been well used but well maintained. The staff were pleasant and eager to please. The room we had (king suite) was nicely appointed and updated recently I would say with a large flatscreen tv and walk in shower, no tub. Refrigerator and microwave, conveniently located, absolutely within walking distance to the Maine Mall and most restaurants.

I found our room to have a cleaning solution smell that seemed to be masking another smell.
Didn't smell clean or fresh.

There is high volume of bus tours that uses this property because of it's aforementioned location and rates I suspect.

If you're not concerned with the proximity, book the Hilton Garden Jetport.
It's not that far away but nice, newer, clean hotel. They will shuttle you anywhere you want to go in the South Portland area. This is nice as you don't have to concern yourself with driving/parking.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Hampton, but I'll be booking the Hilton Garden when I return next year.

Room Tip: Front side of hotel faces the mall and less traffic, back side might be noisy as interstate runs by...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Really nice clean hotel situated opposite the Maine Mall. The staff are friendly and the little free bus is really handy picking up from airport and taking you out to resturants etc. Rooms are large and beds really comfortable. Only down side for me was there was no bar to sit and have a drink after a long day,but you can bring a bottle of wine and sit in the small lounge. breakfast is nice enough but everything is on plastic and cardbord for disposal. Free wi fi and internet access. All in all a really comforatable stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Sure had a great stay this past weekend, friendly staff, clean rooms, great breakfast, pool and hot tub for the kids. need I say more...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Orrington, Maine
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This place, in my recent experience, has no noticeable flaws. Clean, comfortable, pleasant staff, decent and plentiful breakfast etc. My only problem was getting there. I have been to the area where the hotel is a thousand times but still took a wrong turn. The problem is that from Maine Mall Road, you can see the hotel, and what appears to be a road leading to it. It is instead the on-ramp to the Maine Turnpike and once you are on it you have no choice but to pay the toll and try again. The woman in the toll booth told me she hears it all day long. When I got to the front desk at the hotel, the young lady cut me off as I was about to aske her about this. "Do people ever---" I started. "-- tell us they went the wrong way trying to get here?" she interjected, "only about half a dozen times a day." She went on to say it takes some of their guests three tries (I didnt feel so bad then, only took me two).
So again, not a thing against the hotel itself, just know that you need to go to the Maine Mall parking lot FIRST and access the hotel from there, and not try to get to it directly from Maine Mall Road.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
#6 of 13 in South Portland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Been to Hampton Inn Portland Airport? Share your experiences!