All reviews sitting area bagels the breakfast area shower curtain bed was comfortable we've stayed staff was friendly definitely stay here again one night stay close to the airport desk kitchenette mall shopping portland sofa shuttle
Selected filters
Reviewed February 6, 2018 via mobile

At this time the hotel is under construction. You wouldn't know it. We were on the fourth floor and the construction was being done on floors five and six. Except for the occasional construction worker in the elevator you wouldn't know. (I asked which is how I found out.) Maybe a few dust spots on the bottom floor carpet where they come in and out but overall clean and quiet. Would stay again if I am in the area. Don't know how long the construction will be going on for but it did not affect the stay.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

Dear Frank S,

I am pleased to hear that our work to improve our product did not get in the way of you enjoying your stay. Our renovation will last until June and it will feel like a new place when you walk through the front doors. I hope you can come back and stay with us again to see how it looks!

Reviewed January 29, 2018

started with dirty elevator, went on to dirty chairs. Linen had holes, carpet dirty. Reported when leaving and was told manager would contact me on cell phone -- never happened. I sent an email when I returned and the answer was he would give me extra points on my hilton honours . Will never use points there.

Date of stay: October 2017
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Dear Karleen C,

I am disappointed to hear that we did not provide the service we are capable of. I know there has been communication with yourself and our front office management team, but I would love a chance to speak with you personally. My direct line is 207-775-3900 Ext. 158. I hope we can talk soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2018

Three years ago almost to the day, my wife and I were here New Year's weekend - had the hotel down the road not been so awful, this hotel's welcome and review would not be needed...but our experience needs to be shared.

Without any reservations, we walked into the lobby hoping this hotel was going to have open rooms and at 11:00am, we were heading-up to our 6th floor retreat...and what a welcome it was!

For starters - the fella working the front desk was very understanding of our previous night's fiasco (at the other hotel) but aside from that, he made sure we were able to get a corner room away from elevators, vending machines and other rooms - it was just what we needed. We rested for a few hours before heading to a comedian's show in Portland, came back to our room to watch the Badger's beat Miami (I had to say that being an ex-Wisconsin resident) and called it a night - a very comfortable and quiet evening!

We don't often sleep well in hotels but we were wiped-out from lack of sleep the night before - I think it was close to 8:00am when we headed-down for breakfast (which seemed late for us) and the breakfast area was pretty busy (kudos to the fella working the breakfast buffet - everything was well stocked and the eating area was very clean and organized) and there were plenty of yummy choices (especially the hot cinnamon rolls the Holiday Inn are noted for). As a suggestion - on this day when temperatures barely got above zero, your carafes of hot coffee should not be in the cold of the open lobby doors and it's not fair to your employees to continue to 'try" and keep the coffee hot - make some room for this near the breakfast zone...unless you are catering to the ice coffee drinkers.

This Holiday Inn Express is very embracing from the time you check-in to the time the glass doors close behind you. Nice job everyone, and a sincere -Thank You!

Room tip: I'm sure there are no "bad" rooms...enjoy your stay!
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2018

Dear Dave B,

I am sorry to hear that your previous hotel experience was unpleasant, but I am glad you decided to give us a chance. Our front desk team always tries to work with the guest to place them in the most suitable location and I am happy to hear that happened on this occasion. The breakfast area does get busy most days, but our Kitchen team does their best to keep up with replenishing the items as well as keeping up the cleanliness of the entire area. We do appreciate all feedback, and the location change of the coffee station on cold days is definitely an idea we can test out. I hope we can welcome you back again!

Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

Didn’t expect much from Holiday Inn but pleasantly surprised. Extremely easy check in. Clean accommodations. Room was smaller than hoped but for the low rate very impressed.

Small fridge in room with counter. Free Coffee/tea in room and lobby has another complimentary coffee/tea/ hot chocolate bar.

Free breakfast (large spread including eggs and bacon and juice), on-site gym, laundry and heated pool.

Would stay here again!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Kevin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Dear Troublemaker72,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am glad to hear that your check in experience was smooth and that your suite was clean. We hope you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed January 3, 2018

Everyone from the front desk clerks to the van drivers were very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean, breakfast area was open and stocked everyday and the cinnamon buns were great as always. This hotel is also close to the mall and the van is available for drop-off and pick-up. An important thing to consider if you will be without a car.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear AnotherRoadWarrior28,

Thank you for the positive comments about our staff. They all do work very hard and appreciate when they are recognized. We hope to see you again!