The room was booked thru a 3rd party one month in advance of our stay - my confirmation came back stating that I would be staying in a handicap room of which, we did not need, but this is typical of this kind of booking when you don't book directly with the hotel's website.
Upon our arrival, I did state to the front desk gal that we did not require a handicap room and would prefer an upper floor (we are light sleepers). Our request was granted - to the 5th floor we went (there are 6 floors to this hotel). Walking down the hallway, we noticed immediately that our room was adjacent to a room that was partaking very early in their new years festivities - along with the room directly across the hall. I didn't hesitate to turn around and head back downstairs to inform the front desk gal. A fella who was sitting down in the lobby asked me what rooms were the party folks in - I told him, and he said he was going to take care of it - he was in the elevator before I had my new room keys. In the meantime, our door keys were exchanged for a room on the 6th floor - it seemed like this floor was unused - we had an end room.
The room was quiet (and very roomy) - there didn't appear to be much activity on the 6th floor so this was a good fit for us. Once we settled-in and called it a night around 10pm, it was unanimous - we both groaned to the discomfort and sagging of our king mattress. I felt like the bed was not only on an angle leaning down towards the headboard, it also sagged from side to side. I felt like I was sleeping in a hole - my wife said that she had a very restless night.
Breakfast was good and caffeine was definitely needed - plenty of healthy and non-healthy choices - the flow of the people at the breakfast bar were courteous. When various items ran low or out, they were quickly replenished - the young gal that took care of the breakfast needs seemed to be on top of the many guest's breakfast needs. I would suggest though, that the breakfast egg patty thingies that this hotel has get exchanged for something else - quite nasty especially when they are cold.
Aside from the bed in need of a mattress replacement, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel and grounds are in great shape and well maintained; staff is very friendly and accommodating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express South Portland Hotel at Sable Oaks. Renovated in June of 2006, we are updated to provide you with the best service!Hotel features include free local phone calls, free wireless Internet, pool and fitness center, and a complimentary Express Start Continental breakfast. Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new Express Start breakfast bar served every morning featuring a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, breads/pastries, hard boiled eggs, and yogurt. Recently we've introduced hot items such as sausage and eggs! We have also created the world's best tasting cinnamon roll. Located conveniently next to the Maine Mall and only a short distance from the Freeport and Kittery outlet malls, the South Portland Holiday Inn Express is a great place to stay while you shop. Just two miles away from the Portland Jetport, our free shuttle will be there to pick you up and bring you directly to the hotel. Visit South Portland, Maine, and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, IHG, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites South Portland
- Holiday Inn Express South Portland
- Holiday Inn South Portland
- South Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland Maine