“A Lovely Surprise!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed September 10, 2013

In Portland for a wedding, I was looking for a place to sleep that was cheap. No frills, just a clean place to lay my head. Well, I was quite surprised when I arrived! Was I expecting to walk into a room with a seperate kitchenette, a fully-equiped work desk and ergonomic chair, a deliciously fluffy bed, a flat-screen television, and a sparking and polished bathroom?

Ummm...no.

Simply put, this hotel is an amazing value with everything you need to make your visit comfortable, be it one night or many. Well done, Holiday Inn! You really threw me for a loop here!

(Actual Travel Date: May 2009)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We saw this motel listing on my smart phone search and it was a good price and the location was good for us as it was right off the highway and it was time to stop for the day.. Holiday Inn Express are very consistently good places to stay. This was certainly was and the price was good so we stayed an extra night so we could go sightseeing in Maine.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a great location for shopping (the Maine Mall and Target) and if you want to do to Portland you just have to take the highway.( ~10 min.) We stayed 2 nights. WiFI signal not very got. (Not all bars depending which room you are in) Good breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a typical mid-range hotel. It was clean, comfortable stay for what you pay. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. There is an Egg and I Restaurant adjacent to this hotel, something that made us stay here rather than other like-hotels in the area. Just fine for a night or two.

Room Tip: The room faces a main thoroughfare in the front and a highway in the back - I don't think it rea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm not wild about chain hotels but this Holiday Inn surpassed all expectations. Online reservations were easy; front desk staff was efficient and pleasant; the entire facility was spotless; and the room ($170) was exactly as advertised: non-smoking and clean, right down to the bathroom that looked brand new. The room wasn't huge but comfortable and divided into five spaces: a sitting area with sofa and desk and a view of the TV; a mini-kitchen with small refrigerator; a bedroom alcove with king bed, ample pillows, and a view of the TV; a sink and vanity next to a large closet; and a two-piece bathroom. Park at the back entrance, it's a short walk to the elevator, past the pool and exercise room. And be sure to make time for the complimentary breakfast in the lobby - eggs, bacon, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee. Located near the malls, it's easy to find, and we only heard two planes from the nearby airport. Definitely recommend this one!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JanC106
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great location for shopping. We stayed 2 nights but feel it's a bit overpriced for what you get. The rooms were average, nothing special. The furniture in our room was run down, needs to be replaced. We were given a room on the 5th floor but had no wifi so they moved us so the 1st floor which was a run down room. The breakfast was included but very crowded and no seats and the food was so so, nothing special. The pool was closed due to electrical issues so we had to go across the street to the Marriott which was a HUGE inconvenience since this is one of the reasons we picked this hotel, for a pool. This is fine for a night or two but wouldn't plan an extended stay.

Room Tip: No wifi on 5th and 6th floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Cheryl N,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy you found our location convenient for your needs. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, We are regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room and internet service you received. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had booked this hotel for our summer holidays. We were planning on staying there for 2 nights in August 2013. We have made our reservation more than 3 weeks prior to the stay. The day following the reservation we had a change of plans and had to cancel. We were refunded for 1 of the 2 nights only. After getting only half the refund I investigated to discover that the policy from this hotel was that you would be charged 1 night if you had to cancel no matter how long before the stay it was. As soon as you confirm the reservation you are in for a 1 night charge either you actually stay there or not.

I understand that cancelling a reservation may cause some problems and therefore incur some fees if it is cancelled very close to the actual stay date. As I mentionned previously, in our case we cancelled less than 24 hours after making the reservation and more than 3 weeks prior to the actual stay. I don't see how this could be of any problem for this hotel. We have made our reservation through www.reservationcounter.com

I have brought the issue to reservation counter as well as the management at the hotel. It has been 2 weeks since my contact and so far the hotel as yet adressed my concern and reservation counter as only sent me an email to aknowledge reception of my initial email.

Clearly, all of this is unacceptable. I feel like I'm being robbed. Why should I pay for something I do not use? If we would have cancelled with a very short delay I would 100% understand and would not make a fuss about it but in this case I feel strongly that it makes no sense.

I always felt like Holiday Inn was a respectable hotel chain but now I am really wondering where they are going with such business practices.

Do yourself some good and avoid this hotel at all cost!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jonathan P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Jonathan P,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with your reservation. Reservations made through third party sources have certain restrictions that can only be managed by the office where the reservation was made, as such, our hotel is unable to issue refunds or make modifications. We deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you have encountered.

Your experience is not reflective of the high standards that we pride ourselves with. We always aim to deliver world class service and with this in mind, your comments will certainly be looked into and improvements will be made where possible. We hope that despite your dissatisfaction, you will still give us a chance and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland? Share your experiences!