“Worst cancellation policy!!”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Levis, Canada
“Worst cancellation policy!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had booked this hotel for our summer holidays. We were planning on staying there for 2 nights in August 2013. We have made our reservation more than 3 weeks prior to the stay. The day following the reservation we had a change of plans and had to cancel. We were refunded for 1 of the 2 nights only. After getting only half the refund I investigated to discover that the policy from this hotel was that you would be charged 1 night if you had to cancel no matter how long before the stay it was. As soon as you confirm the reservation you are in for a 1 night charge either you actually stay there or not.

I understand that cancelling a reservation may cause some problems and therefore incur some fees if it is cancelled very close to the actual stay date. As I mentionned previously, in our case we cancelled less than 24 hours after making the reservation and more than 3 weeks prior to the actual stay. I don't see how this could be of any problem for this hotel. We have made our reservation through www.reservationcounter.com

I have brought the issue to reservation counter as well as the management at the hotel. It has been 2 weeks since my contact and so far the hotel as yet adressed my concern and reservation counter as only sent me an email to aknowledge reception of my initial email.

Clearly, all of this is unacceptable. I feel like I'm being robbed. Why should I pay for something I do not use? If we would have cancelled with a very short delay I would 100% understand and would not make a fuss about it but in this case I feel strongly that it makes no sense.

I always felt like Holiday Inn was a respectable hotel chain but now I am really wondering where they are going with such business practices.

Do yourself some good and avoid this hotel at all cost!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jonathan P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Jonathan P,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with your reservation. Reservations made through third party sources have certain restrictions that can only be managed by the office where the reservation was made, as such, our hotel is unable to issue refunds or make modifications. We deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you have encountered.

Your experience is not reflective of the high standards that we pride ourselves with. We always aim to deliver world class service and with this in mind, your comments will certainly be looked into and improvements will be made where possible. We hope that despite your dissatisfaction, you will still give us a chance and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Rooms are larger than average, quite comfortable and very clean. Location is great - easy access to Portland sights, Cape Elizabeth and Routes 95 and 295. WiFi did not work in our first room, so after spending some time on the phone with a customer service agent in Bangalore and still getting no service, we asked to be moved. They accommodated us immediately. WiFi in the new room was fine. Very comfortable stay for our family.

Room Tip: Floors 4 and 6 seem to have WiFi trouble. Be aware if you need/want WiFi.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed at this hotel for two nights while shopping. Although a bit overpriced, this is a great hotel if you are looking for a spot in the heart of the shopping district. It is only one minute from the Maine Mall as well as other shops. Our room was perfect for the 4 of us...2 adults 2 kids.The continental breakfast which is included,has a huge selection of food to choose from and runs until 9:30am. We ended up taking our food back to our room because it was so crowded that there were no seats left. No big deal however as our room was just down the hall. There is a very nice fitness room and pool for your use as well as free wifi. If cost is not an issue and you wAnt to be near the mall,I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

For the price this was a great hotel but it fell short of some of the better Holiday Inn's I have stayed at. The rooms were big but the bathroom was tiny. Maybe not all are that small but in our room it was. The pool was small and the water was too cold. But the staff was friendly, it was in a great location and it was clean. We had a suite and the bed was very comfy but the sofa bed had a thin mattress and was not comfortable, our son opted to just sleep on the couch rather then pull it out. We didn't have the continental breakfast but they appeared to have a good selection of food, just get there early.
I would recommend this hotel for short stays and people that need to be near the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear 79CanadianGirl,

Krysllin G.
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

As with most Holiday Inn Express properties, you get a nice room
to sleep in, and a decent breakfast in the morning.

A few things stand out though...
This was a nice large room.. Enjoyed the extra space...
But it did cost more than your average Holiday Inn Express...
Wi-Fi was really bad - basically not use-able.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We used our Holiday Inn Express points for a free night bc we were in a jam. The lady behind hotel counter was not wearing a uniform which was odd. She originally gave my husband a free bottled water at check in but then told us they don't carry bottled water later when we asked for more. Our room on the 6th floor smelled like smoke and the carpet looked gross. The maids were vacuuming down our hall pretty late into the evening. The breakfast area was jammed in the morning with greedy people. I could barely get a coffee. There was nothing healthy to eat. Glad it was only one night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear ShannonB1014,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Karen G.
Hawalli, Kuwait
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel is an average class grade. value against cost is quastionable , I stayed 6 days with my faimly, found that the hotel location is a credit due to near by shopping mall and other shops and facilites, sofa bed is terrible, staff were very freindly and ready to give assistance

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear khalid4kac,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our staff friendly and our location suitable for your needs. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#1 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland? Share your experiences!