We had booked this hotel for our summer holidays. We were planning on staying there for 2 nights in August 2013. We have made our reservation more than 3 weeks prior to the stay. The day following the reservation we had a change of plans and had to cancel. We were refunded for 1 of the 2 nights only. After getting only half the refund I investigated to discover that the policy from this hotel was that you would be charged 1 night if you had to cancel no matter how long before the stay it was. As soon as you confirm the reservation you are in for a 1 night charge either you actually stay there or not.
I understand that cancelling a reservation may cause some problems and therefore incur some fees if it is cancelled very close to the actual stay date. As I mentionned previously, in our case we cancelled less than 24 hours after making the reservation and more than 3 weeks prior to the actual stay. I don't see how this could be of any problem for this hotel. We have made our reservation through www.reservationcounter.com
I have brought the issue to reservation counter as well as the management at the hotel. It has been 2 weeks since my contact and so far the hotel as yet adressed my concern and reservation counter as only sent me an email to aknowledge reception of my initial email.
Clearly, all of this is unacceptable. I feel like I'm being robbed. Why should I pay for something I do not use? If we would have cancelled with a very short delay I would 100% understand and would not make a fuss about it but in this case I feel strongly that it makes no sense.
I always felt like Holiday Inn was a respectable hotel chain but now I am really wondering where they are going with such business practices.
Do yourself some good and avoid this hotel at all cost!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express South Portland Hotel at Sable Oaks. Renovated in June of 2006, we are updated to provide you with the best service!Hotel features include free local phone calls, free wireless Internet, pool and fitness center, and a complimentary Express Start Continental breakfast. Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new Express Start breakfast bar served every morning featuring a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, breads/pastries, hard boiled eggs, and yogurt. Recently we've introduced hot items such as sausage and eggs! We have also created the world's best tasting cinnamon roll. Located conveniently next to the Maine Mall and only a short distance from the Freeport and Kittery outlet malls, the South Portland Holiday Inn Express is a great place to stay while you shop. Just two miles away from the Portland Jetport, our free shuttle will be there to pick you up and bring you directly to the hotel. Visit South Portland, Maine, and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites South Portland
- Holiday Inn Express South Portland
- Holiday Inn South Portland
- South Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland Maine