DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Although this was still a decent stay with nothing that would keep me from coming back, it is the "worse" of the Hilton properties I've stayed in over the years. But "worse" for a Hilton property is still better than the worse out there.

I'll get to the problems later, but I'll start with the positives.

The staff were great (for the most part.) Check-in, restaurant, room service, and housekeeping were all very friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent. I ate at the hotel for most of my three night stay. All the entrees I had eating at the bar were great. It's very close to the airport and right across the street from the Maine Mall.

So the negatives.

When I first arrived, early, I merely inquired if there was a room available. I do this often and when there is not, no problem. I know I'm in early. However the young gentleman who I spoke with replied with a slightly attitude-filled "This is way too early for you to have a room available." Fortunately a young lady took over from him. I left my luggage with her and all was good. I returned at 1:30 and she was still there and excellent.

The hotel needs work. I was told by someone in the area it has recently been refurbished. Well only slightly if that is true. There are lots of detail problems that need attending to. The room doors have holes in them from where hardware used to be, only painted over, the holes still show. There are mold stains on the grout in my room. The bottom of the bathroom door shows signs of water damage and warping that was only painted over. A vacuum cleaner was left in one of the (very slow to get) elevators one day while there was grass all over the lobby at the same time. Weird. The man who was cleaning non-occupied rooms later at night one evening had the remains of a six pack of Bud Light on his cleaning cart and an open beer. His cart remained in the hallway much of the evening.

All in all it wasn't a terrible stay. Just definitely not up to the Hilton/Doubletree standards that I'm accustomed to.

Additionally there is lots of parking lot or something construction going on around the entrance to the hotel. The rude construction workers doing this block different parts of the driveways so you don't know where to go and then are nasty because you are confused. Real jerks.

1  Thank Michael C
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing our property while you were in Portland, Maine. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate us on what we do well and more importantly what we need to improve on.

You certainly bring up some very valid points, especially in the area of training our staff. When you arrived to check in on the day you did, I know that the hotel was sold out the night prior. Regardless of if we could get you into your room or not at the time, the hotel should certainly have a better response.

I will also share your feedback regarding the construction crew with our ownership. While they have a job to do, our guests our most important. There should be no reason for anyone with the crew to be rude or act like a "jerk" as you mentioned. This I can assure you will be addressed immediately.

Thank you again for staying with us. Please think of our hotel again in the future.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Their restaurant offers decent choices of food.I am a vegan and had no problem. I had Steel cut Oats with fruit- was great! Orderd a tasty veggie plate for dinner. Had a nice bar next to restaurant and a Starbucks.. and a Chipolte Grille next door.Who could ask for any more !

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our property from your last visit. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our food and beverage team. Please think of us again the next time you are in the Portland area.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here twice, on the 23 rd of Oct. as well as the 28th of Oct.
The rooms were expensive, and quite outdated. The showers have mold in them.
The food was okay
On the 24th, the elevator wouldn't work, and two of us had to walk down ( doors would close, but it wouldn't move ) .
The shuttle was to pick me up, I was told it was on its way, ( 24 by my phone ) I called again and was told the same thing, driver stated he had a van load, and was really busy, they didn't communicate that.
The Assistant night manager Didn't even offer a cookie... seems to be a hit or miss on quality of service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with our property while you were in Portland, Maine. I'm happy to hear that you thought the hotel was clean and comfortable and our staff was helpful to you.

Thank you again for choosing our property. Please think of us again in the future!

Rooms Division Manger

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room reserved was not ready until 5:pm. Hotel understaffed in critical positions: Grill had one bartender and one waitress and one cook for fully booked hotel during mealtimes. Again for a fully booked hotel one elevator was not in service for the whole weekend. Staff was friendly and competent but not truly able to respond to client's needs as necessary.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your recent stay with our property. I appreciate you evaluating us on what we need to improve on so that we can get better for the future.

It seems that you stayed with a large group that had requests to be all near each other. During the day that you checked in we had another large group leave the hotel with your group looking to check in to those rooms, which caused the delay in check in. I truly apologize for this and I know that our team had a hospitality suite set up for your group to assist with this issue. I will also pass along the rest of your feedback to our management team, so that we know how better to handle groups such as the one you were in for the future.

Thank you once again for staying with us.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The staff is friendly and the hotel is close to the airport, shopping and several places to eat. If you are looking for cheap but clean, this fits the bill. Nothing fancy here, but if you want fancy, you should be staying in downtown Portland! I stayed here for a convention.

Rooms Division Manger

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel rather than in the city because it was near the Maine Mall and we wanted to do some shopping while we were in the States. We'd just stayed at the Hilton at Boston Airport and it was quickly clear that it was a lower grade hotel than that one, not that we had any complaints about the building.

We were very pleased we chose this hotel rather than one in Portland as we noticed on our day trip that the city rapidly emptied around 5 p.m. which would have made walking around at night looking for restaurants an uncomfortable experience. There were plenty of restaurants by the Maine Mall, just a few minutes' walk away, which was very handy.

However, the staff did not always impress us with their knowledge. My husband had booked a package which included breakfast. When he asked what the breakfast would be e.g. buffet or a la carte, the receptionist on duty didn't know and made it clear it was difficult for her to find out. Really?

The swimming pool was on the chilly side which didn't stop us going in but would have made swimming a bit more enjoyable.

They had a Happy Hour from 5-6 but I have to say that the Chardonnay that I tried was not very nice, rather sour.

However, when I reported that there was a problem with the bath plug in our bathroom, they did send someone within the hour who fixed the problem. Weirdest bath plugs I've ever seen by the way.

The Irish Bell Captain was very helpful.

Also, they are doing building work around the hotel at the moment, building some sort of annexe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the building work.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our property. I appreciate you letting us know what went well and more importantly what we can improve on.

You certainly bring up some very valid points, some of which require extra training and attention to detail. I will be sharing your feedback with our management team, so that we can improve in all of these areas.

I will also share your feedback with Carl our bellman. We certainly feel very lucky to have some of the great employees that work at the DoubleTree.

Thank you for staying with us, and please think of us during your next trip to Portland, Maine!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Like most DoubleTree Hotels, the reception area is open and welcoming. And yes, the cookies are always offered up on check-in. Staff have always been pleasant to us, and very efficient at the check-in/check-out process.

The hotel is built with two round towers connected by a central lobby. The Towers can feel a bit odd, as rooms are forced to be somewhat angled in shape. There's plenty of space in the room and they are comfortable. But our early stays involved some stubbing of toes not adjusting to angled bathroom doors for example.

While somewhat dated the building doesn't look ancient by any means. It is clean and kept well.

The restaurant provides decent service, and if it's not your taste you have plenty of options within a minute or two walk from the hotel.

We have a student attending the University of Southern Maine, and this has become our go to property for stays while visiting her in town.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your go to property while you travel to Portland, Maine. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate us and let us know what went well as well as what we can improve on.

We are doing continuous updates to our property to make our hotel the best in the market! Please know that we will continue to improve, so you will be seeing a lot in the future.

Thank you again for staying with us.

All the best,

#5 of 13 in South Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!