“Not very family friendly”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Their non-smoking rooms smell like there is someone chain smoking in them 24hours a day. They post that they are family friendly but then they charge per night for cribs. I find this very off putting as a mom of a 9month old and 2 year old.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your most recent visit to our property. I appreciate you evaluating us to let us know where we can improve.

Our hotel looks to be the top in the market for both family and business travelers. We provide great options for both, with everything from an indoor pool and family friendly restaurant on site, to free internet/parking and business center services. I would also like to inform you that we do not charge for cribs, so if you think you were charged, please contact me directly to let me know.

I apologize for the experience that you had. Please feel free to reach out to me, so that I can make the next experience a better one.

Best,

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have made a lot of mac and cheese in my day. The mac and cheese at the hotel was soooo good. i wish i could eat it every day. the hotel staff was also great and the room were surprisingly nice. the warm chocolate chip cookies were a nice touch

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing our property during your trip to Portland, Maine. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience and I've shared your thoughts with our Executive Chef. Perhaps the next time you come in you can meet him personally and he can share his secrets on the Mac and Cheese!

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Had reserved a King nonsmoking room, but when we arrived we were given a King smoking room which reeked of stale smoke. They said they had no more kings but would give us two doubles nonsmoking...and coupons for breakfast. This reservation was made more than 30 days inadvance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit to our property. I truly apologize for the experience that you had with us and I assure you that we will use your feedback as a tool to get better.

Our hotel is 100% non smoking. That being said there are times where guests choose to ignore that policy and unfortunately other guests and our property suffer as a result.

Once again I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. Please contact me directly in the future if there is anything else that I can do for you!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel accommodations were convenient since the conference was at this hotel but service was not that great and the rooms were not very clean, bathrooms had mildew in the grout and around the tops of the sink. Bar staff was helpful in getting us reservations outside of the hotel for dinner.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your most recent visit to our property. While it is alarming for me to hear the feedback you have given, I appreciate you letting me know where we can improve.

Please allow me to apologize for any lack of cleanliness or service while you were here. Those areas are of the highest expectation for us, and hearing that we had difficulties in those areas is always challenging.

Please feel free to contact me directly to give me any more feedback. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Meets all the expectations of a three star hotel. The rooms are angled due to the circular shape of the buildings. This cuts down on bathroom space. We enjoyed the Hilton Honors breakfast and evening snacks and drinks. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. There are not many moderately priced hotels in South Portland this time of year so this is a bargain compared to the hotels in Old Port and Downtown Portland. If you need just a place to sleep - this is your hotel.

Room Tip: Any room is good. No noise penetrates the walls.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing our property during your visit to Portland, Maine. I'm happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you found the hotel to be nice, comfortable and clean! Please think of us again during a future trip to this area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Nice hotel and great staff. I like to stay in Doubletree's that have an executive lounge, as this one did. The lounge was open 24 hours for drinks, water, soda and juice - nice selection. The dinner was surprisingly good, sausage ravioli. The room was nicely appointed and bed comfortable, but I could hear the couple next door to me anytime they had a conversation. Luckily they went to bed early, but I can imagine it could get a little noisy. If in the area again I'd definitely stay here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your recent visit. I appreciate you letting us know what went well, and also what can be improved upon.

I will be certain to pass along your feedback to our management team. We are making strides to reduce noise levels between our guest rooms.

All the best,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The walls in this hotel are paper thin. An individual was on the phone in the next room, and it was like he was in our room. While the hotel is clean and staff are friendly, I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your most recent stay with us. While the content of your feedback concerns me, I appreciate you letting me know so that I can know where we can improve.

I'm very sorry that you had that experience while you were here. I can assure you as a management team, the quietness and comfort of each guest is our priority. We will discuss your feedback in our upcoming meeting to see if we can find a solution to making it better for the future.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope someday we see you again.

Best,

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Courtyard Portland Airport
Courtyard Portland Airport
#4 of 13 in South Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!