“A hotel on the edge”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Georgetown, Texas
“A hotel on the edge”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a decent hotel near the airport and convenient to the interstate. The staff was friendly and helpful. Why "on the edge"? The age and condition of the facilities and amenities may be on that edge where additional attention to maintenance is required. In our room, the coffee maker was defective and the hair drier intake was nearly clogged with lint. The shower curtain was mounted backwards. The TV channel guide was damaged and unreadable. All minor things, but a warning flag should go up for management.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent visit to our property. Your feedback is extremely important to me in evaluating what we do well and more importantly what we can improve on.

I'd like to let you know that there are many future renovations planned both to the exterior of the building and the interior (bathrooms, carpets etc.). All of what you mentioned are easily correctible things, but certainly things that you the guest shouldn't have to deal with.

Please think of us again during a future visit to Portland, Maine. I can assure you that our property is continuously looking to improve. I hope the next time your experience will be even better!

Best,

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Tyrone, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

If you're looking to be close the the city, this is not the spot for you. It's a 15 minute ride in but I have to admit there never seems to be any traffic so it wasn't a big deal. Warm cookie on check in was a nice touch after a long trip. Unfortunately our room was on the highway side and that was pretty noisy. If you're a light sleeper ask for a room in the tower away from traffic noise. No safe in the room was a big surprise, we had to lock our laptops in our trunk each time we left. The room was clean, well serviced and the staff very responsive. This is more of a convention type hotel. If you're looking for romance, keep looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent visit to our property. Feedback is essential from our guests in evaluating what we do well and more importantly what we need to improve on.
Our location isn't downtown, but we are centrally located to a lot of what this area has to offer and as you mentioned it is a very short trip to downtown Portland. While we don't have safes in every guest room, we do offer safety deposit boxes at our front desk. Something to think about for future visits!
Thank you once again for choosing our property. I look forward to seeing you again someday soon.

Jefferson, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent seven nights traveling in Maine and this is the only hotel that disappointed us. It felt dated and in need of renovation. The bathroom was tiny and the bedding uncomfortable. The only thing good about it was it was next to Cracker Barrel where we could get an early breakfast and be on our way. We were sorry we did not stay in Old Portland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with our property while you were in Portland, Maine. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't entirely pleasant. I will say that our hotel has many future renovations planned. Some of those include work to the exterior and grounds and in the near future there will be work to our bathrooms! Please think of us again the next time you are in the area and feel free to contact me directly.

Portland ME, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My check in was for 3 pm. I arrived at 3 and was told there were no rooms available to come back in about 30 minutes. No sorry for the delay, can i hold your bags, nothing. There were a few other people in line waiting but two other people behind the counter were too involved with someone on the phone to assist. The room I did receive overlooked the highway and the it was all I could hear during the night. Great way to treat your Gold members.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Let me start by saying that I appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand and I truly apologize for the issues that arose during your last visit. Obviously your feedback is of great concern to me and as a member of our management team I will be addressing this with our front desk staff, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to hear your feedback and to make sure that I can address our staff on what we need to improve on. Thank you once again for choosing our property. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss anything further.

Best Regards,

College Station, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here four nights in September 2013 on business. The hotel is a classic blend of airport/interstate interchange (and mall!) but does a pretty good job of keeping customers happy. I really enjoyed the catered food provided for our meetings (not sure if in house, or not). The hotel is standard for flight crews. My only gripe is the sound proofing of the windows and being at front of building got to enjoy the conversations of the smokers leaving the bar/lounge after midnight to revel in their intoxicated pontifications. So, ask for a room at the 'back' if you can, and higher up if possible. The hotel is 'double round' double tree, so rooms are 'pie shaped' and if near elevator hear a bit of noise. I wasn't bothered too much, but being in a wheelchair room, it can be annoying waiting for the door to open and close by itself.

Room Tip: Go high and at 'back of main building' to avoid elevator noise, as well as smoker conversati...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing our property during your trip to Portland, Maine. It is always nice to hear what our hotel does well and it also helps to hear what we can improve on. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our management team. Please think of us again during future trips to this area!

Best Regards,

Owls Head, Maine
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Poor security, poor attitude of front desk staff, noisy, parking facilities are bad, unable to get their act together for guest arrival. In general, a poorly run, tired old building that is a poor value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your most recent visit. Your feedback is obviously greatly concerning to me, and I would love if you could follow up with me to give me more. Please know that we value all of our guests, especially our repeat ones! If there is anything further that I can do please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Best,

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Could hear everything through wall of adjoining room. Bathroom was tiny. Room was very tired and bed was rock hard. Good location next to mall. For 200.00 a night, I was hoping for more from doubletree. Had to move after one night to the Embassy.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our property from your last visit. I'm very sorry to hear that you had issues with your guestroom, and I have passed all of your feedback along to our management team. I have also reached out to you directly to let you know how I handled your guest bill for the issues that arose.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
#4 of 13 in South Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#14 of 20 in Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!