“Not the Standard You Expect”

DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Not a Doubletree quality. Bathrooms need updating and perhaps some power washing and drain cleaning. The sheets on the bed were like sandpaper. The sheets should have been thrown away a long time ago. I could not actually sleep on them. They were seriously bad. Not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your most recent visit to our property. While it was unsettling to hear that your visit was a disappointing one, you raise some very valid concerns that will be or are being addressed.
First, our hotel is planning on a future renovation to all of our guestroom bathrooms. This will dramatically change the look of them down the road.
We have also begun a dramatic shift with our linen, purchasing new linen over the course of this summer, so that we can maintain our high standard.
Lastly, please think of us again the next time you are in the Portland area. Our hotel is always looking to improve, and I think that you will see that during a future visit. Thank you again for your feedback.

Warmest Regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel is really nice but the rooms are quite small. The bathroom is also small but very clean. I would definitely stay again. The hotel is in a very convenient location to shopping, food and attractions. The staff was very nice and always helpful.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit to our property. I'm very happy to hear that overall your experience was a pleasant one. While the unique shape of our building can't be changed, I will let you know that our hotel has future plans for renovating the bathrooms. I hope to see you back at our property someday soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hotel is located close to Portland and the beaches. Very helpful staff and the facility is inviting and clean. Only drawback was the location off a busy roadway, which had no sidewalks to get to the mall across the street or nearby restaurants.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at our property. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the service and cleanliness was at the level that our hotel strives for! While we can't change our location near the highway, the location does have a lot of other great things to offer! Think of us again the next time you are in the area.

Best,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel staff was very helpful and went out of their way to accommodate our family. The room was quiet. The cookies were good. The pool was a good place for the family in the afternoon. The beaches were close to the hotel and there were lots of places to eat around the hotel including the mall across the street.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Portland, Maine. I am very happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. Your review title says it all and it is exactly what our hotel is looking to be! Thanks again for your feedback. I look forward to seeing you again someday soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went there looking for a room on July 17 2013 but they were all booked (wouldn't you know that the one night of our 2 week trip I left open would be the night that has sold out rooms everywhere!)
Anyway, I wanted to mention that the woman (Katie I think) and the man (sorry, I didn't get your name) along with the banquet manager (Bob, I believe, who happened to be at the front desk when I arrived) went above and beyond in helping me secure a room for my family somewhere in town. This kind of service makes me want to give them my business another time.

I'm not sure if I will be able to post only this so if I give any further ratings please ignore as I didn't have a chance to stay at the hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I can't help but smile when I hear feedback such as this. I am truly happy at the service that was provided to you and hope that down the line you do think of us when you are looking to stay in the Portland area. Please feel free to contact me directly when you come back!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a room here on Priceline and still feel like we paid too much. We booked a non-smoking queen room and were given a smoking double. The hotel was fully booked, so they could not move us to any other room. Though they tried to help by bringing up an ionizer, that required us to leave for at least 2 hours while it ran. It helped a little, but not enough for people with severe allergies. The hallways and elevator smelled of smoke as well. As part of the Hilton chain, they really should have offered to let us stay at a different Hilton property considering this was their error and was a health-related concern. This hotel was a huge disappointment--even the cookie wasn't good. We've had much better experiences at much less expensive hotels both in quality and in customer service and will not be staying here or at other Doubletree Hotels in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please know that your feedback is extremely important to us in evaluating how we are doing, and most importantly in evaluating what we can improve on. I truly apologize for the issues that arose during your visit. I would also like to make you aware that our hotel is 100% smoke free, so you were not placed in a smoking room, it just must have been one where a guest smoked in prior to your arrival even though we are non-smoking.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us. Feel free to contact me directly to share any other feedback from your visit.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Bathroom was disgusting... calking falling out between the of the cracks in the shower tiles. Felt like I was in a "rent-by-the-hour" motel somewhere on "the strip." Every outlet in the room was loose, making it impossible to charge any electronic device. Had it not been so late in the evening when I discovered this, I'd have checked out and moved to another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your most recent visit to our property. While it was difficult to hear that your stay wasn't entirely pleasant, I do appreciate you letting us know what we can improve on. I can assure you that during our morning management meeting today, we discussed the concerns that you raised and our maintenance staff is addressing it today. Our hotel truly appreciates your business, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to be your hotel someday again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
Courtyard Portland Airport
Courtyard Portland Airport
#4 of 13 in South Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me? Share your experiences!