“Dumpy”

Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I tried this place based on a reviewer who thought it was ok. I thought it would be ok and keep me within my budget. After being there for less than an hour, I would have gladly paid an extra $100 a night to get out of there. I wouldn't say it was a complete dump, but it certainly was dumpy. The king size bed was sunken in on one side and the furniture looked like it came from a flea market. The room was generally clean and the shower was ok. However, I was there for 8 hours and I killed at least 10 files in the room and there were still more. I was supposed to stay three nights, but one night was enough. I've never been so happy to leave a place in my life. The lobby was dumpy looking too and the breakfast area looked like a bar in a bad 70's movie. The food looked pretty bad to me. Did I mention the flies?

6  Thank cdwms
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall

A TripAdvisor Member
St Thomas
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Stayed for 10 days and it was a home away from home. All the staff were very helpful,friendly and we made friends; a waitress even cried when we were ready to leave. My daughter made a real mess everyday (see pic) and housekeeping was always prompt, efficient and polite; rooms and property were always kept clean and well mantained.
I am a real nitpicker but this time had no complaints about anything.
That says a lot about this Motel.
Ample parking, large mall and freeway (us1) right across the property.
Chilis was open till 11pm everynight.
Breakfast in a dining room with a large-screen tv.

• Stayed: June 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

If you only have $50 to spend, only need a bed and are leaving the next day - this may be ok for you (just close your eyes and imagine a better place). If you have any more money at all (or need more than 1 night), I would suggest another local hotel for $70 or $80/night. These are much nicer and just as close to area attractions.

• Stayed: January 2005
4  Thank JohnMaineUSA
Reviewed January 13, 2005

My wife and I were stuck in a bad snow storm on the way up to Norway Maine almost 2 years ago. It took us 3.5 hours to get from Boston to Portland that night. It was raining in Boston and we didn't expect it to be horrible as soon as we crossed into Maine. We saw several overturned SUV's on the road that night... when we made it to Portland we decided that was enough and I saw a few chains and decided it would be less expensive to call their reservation lines.. so I did this from the car. Days INN in Portland was just about 50 bucks a night. THey have a Chilis in the parking lot and the Mall accross the Street as well as other restaurants on the same strip..you could walk or drive. We walked in and the service area looked very "country Maine" , but the workers all had their teeth, seemed modern and were polite. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and modern. That was a nice suprise for the price. I noticed the night before that the they advertised a continental breakfast... so I figured there would be a coffee machine and a bag of moldy donuts downstairs.... well to our huge surpise they had an old restuarant section of this building with tables where they have a buffett with 3 different kinds of cereals, three different kinds of juices, coffee, tea, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, waffles, bagels, muffins, toast and other things I cannot recall at the moment. For $50 a night this place was truly a gem in the rough! In fact we are going to see a concert up there in April.. I just made reservations for $50.95 a night! Can't beat that with a stick!

7  Thank helper1
Reviewed November 6, 2004

Stayed here because it was the cheapest chain hotel in the area Nov. 6, and I was very pleased. The room was clean, comfortable, in excellent repair (like another reviewer, I was a little concerned upon seeing the lobby, which is much more rustic than the rooms). I slept in and missed breakfast, but the shower at 11 a.m. on a Sunday was hot, and I had great water pressure on the second floor. The hotel is convenient to the Maine Mall (across the street), many chain restaurants and some independent ones, a supermarket about a mile south, and both I-95 and I-295. Would stay again, particularly after getting a $5 coupon on checkout.

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank BPTtraveler
Reviewed October 3, 2004

We were really surprised when we got into our room. The lobby wasn't very good looking, so we didn't expect much. Also, the price was pretty cheap comparing to the other hotels around (we pre-ordered online).

We got a great room, great shower, a lot of TV channels (we had a long drive that day :)) and a pretty rich breakfast.
There's a big mall right outside the hotel, which was good for us as well.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank isthisit
Reviewed September 9, 2003

My husband and I spent a few days in Portland last month (visiting our daughter who has lived there for the past year) and had a great four-day getaway. We stayed at The Days Inn in South Portland: a reasonable, comfortable, and conveniently located motel. We enjoyed some fun and "touristy" activities such as the Casco Bay mailboat cruise (interesting views of several islands), a walking tour of the Old Port, and a tour of the Shipyard Brewery. One of the the treats of our stay was a return visit to Gilbert's on Commercial Street for their delicious clam chowder. (We also had fried scallops this time, but I usually order their great clam cakes to go with the chowder in a sourdough bowl.) We also had a great lunch at Beale Street Barbeque in South Portland and about the best Key Lime pie I've ever tasted! Having a late breakfast at Becky's (also on Commercial) meant waiting in line, but was worth it for a hearty and tasty, but inexpensive meal. Portland was the perfect place to get away from the August heat and humidity of upstate NY, and I would recommend it for a weekend or a week. There is so much to see and do, and this is such a charming place in which to do it!

• Stayed: August 2003
#2 of 13 in South Portland
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#10 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall? Share your experiences!