All reviews the concierge lounge front desk close to the airport breakfast buffet bit dated cookies bed was very comfortable stayed here for one night indoor pool palmer portland mall conference gm checkin highway starbucks
Selected filters
Reviewed March 5, 2019 via mobile

I'm a local, but I just stayed here for one night in order to be close to the airport for a very early morning flight to Hawaii.

This hotel was built in 1988 or 1989. It's not a new Marriott and was showing some wear and tear. Peeling wall paper, stained ceilings, hideous dated bright red and yellow corridor carpeting that was ripped and taped in spots. Banged up exterior room doors. It was a bit dated! I honestly thought it would be nicer being a Marriott. However, it was clean.

As always, the Marriott mattress was the best part of the hotel!

Make note that the hotel is currently undergoing a renovation that should be completed by April 2019. Half of the rooms have been updated, but of course, since we booked a Hotwire Hot Rate deal for only $80, Will at the front desk put us in an old room next to the ice machine. Room 232.

Third party reservations are suppose to be treated like any other reservation, but hotels always like to give you the old rooms or one's without a view and you can't prove it's because you're a third party discount booking. I don't believe they didn't have a updated room during a Monday during winter low season in Maine? Especially when we arrived right at 4pm check-in time.

In hindsight, I should booked at one of the half dozen or so new or newer hotels in the Maine Mall area to get an updated room. They were the same price and several are only months old. Not 30 years. I knew this was an old hotel, but didn't think it was as worn out as it was. The last time I went to a wedding there, a decade ago, it seemed pretty nice.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2019

Adam81980,
Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate the fact that you know our property as well as you do. You are correct that this building was opened in 1988. This is the third major renovation of this property. I would like to clarify the fact that we have close to fifty percent of our guest rooms off market with our current renovation. To date none have been turned over to be rented to our guests. There is no truth to your belief that we put third party booking guests in inferior rooms. The room you occupied actually is preferred by many of our regular guests as it overlooks the courtyard/pool area and is very quiet.

We are working diligently to complete our renovation, which will include a new restaurant concept that will attract many local guests. I would invite you to contact me here in the next few months when we have progressed further in our renovation for a tour. I am sure you will be impressed.
Best regards,
Ed Palmer
general manager

Reviewed February 18, 2019

Don't even think you are staying at a Marriott. It is no where close to the level I am used to as a faithful Marriott Rewards member. I do not care construction renovations being done. Have stayed at hotels in the past being renovated and not an issue. The pool - freezing, unable to swim in. The rooms - dirty, dusty, moldy, dark, run down, stained, uncomfortable. Hallways.. dusty, stained, carpet lifting, pictures had frames cracked in lobby, the deodorizer in the lobby was so strong you could taste it, disgusting. Looks to me like the Marriott did nothing with this property for decades and just now decided maybe they should! Far cry from the competition I stayed at downtown Portland in the summer. May be time to not be a faithful Marriott patron!

This hotel isn't even up to the standard level of cleaning.. the stainless in the elevator was all smudged and dirty for our entire stay. There is no upkeep for daily cleaning and maintenance on any level here. Rooms not even cleaned until 5:00 p.m.! Stay anywhere but here.. Holiday Inn Express looked cleaner and newer than this place!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2019

Wendy2423, We appreciate your feedback on your visit with us here. Our property has entered an extensive renovation. We currently have fifty percent of our rooms completely gutted to bring them to a completely renovated state. The last renovation was nine years ago but this renovation will far exceed the past. We also are completely reinventing our restaurant. Our completion dated is projected for May 15th. We would ask that you give us an opportunity to show you our completed product. We are sure you would approve. Best regards, Ed Palmer general manager

Reviewed February 18, 2019

I had stayed at the Sable Oaks South Portland Marriott numerous times for business travel between 2002 - 2006. I'm a Marriott Rewards member. My wife and I were in Portland for a getaway, and we decided to stop at the Sable Oaks Marriott for Sunday brunch (Feb 17). The food was marginal and the service was very poor. The waitress did not make us feel like we mattered at all. 18 minutes between being seated and asking for our order, and numerous mistakes in that process. The previous evening in Portland, I tipped our server at two restaurants 25 - 30% each. At the Marriott, I wanted to give my minimum 15% tip, but I felt compelled to leave 0 tip. I have not done that in 20 years. They can do better.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Ed A. Thank you for your feed back on your disappointing experience in our temporary restaurant. At this time our on-property restaurant is being renovated so we are using two of our banquet rooms to serve as our dining facility. These certainly is no excuse for poor service. We have shared your comments with our servers on Sunday morning to identify the associate, correct their behavior and poor service that you experienced. As you noted you have been with us often in the past and we would hope that you will again give us an opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to greater Portland. Best regards, Ed Palmer general manager

Reviewed February 12, 2019

Although there was construction, the rooms were good and the restaurant served very good food for dinner. Breakfast was complementary during this particular stay. You are also very close to the airport and the nearest gas station to fill up your rental-car. Also close to the highways.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

GeorgeT3421, Thank you for your positive feedback about our property. We appreciate that you enjoyed our property. Our goal is to not only meet our guests expectations but to exceed them. Best regards, Ed Palmer general manager

Reviewed January 20, 2019

We stayed at Sable Oaks Marriott prior to a two week trip. Our room was great and when we got back a simple call to the hotel was all it took to have the shuttle quickly arrive and bring us to our parked car. Staff at front desk and shuttle drivers were super friendly and helpful. I will be staying again should I need to park and fly out of Portland, Maine.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2019

Aaron C.
Thank you so much for your response to the service you received during you Park and Fly stay with us. It is always our goal to not only meet but to exceed our guest's expectations. We are glad to hear that you will return in the future to our property. We look forward to serving you. Best regards, Ed Palmer general manager