“Nice but you pay for it”

Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Corinth, Maine
“Nice but you pay for it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a good stay here. Some staff were so pleasant (manly housekeeping) and some were snooty. So weren't the fellow customers. We went on our honeymoon with our baby.... I understand its a business hotel but STILL we paid just as much as everyone else.

The $15 per person breakfast is ridiculous. We stayed at two other places that had a free continental breakfast that had more food and nicer staff... the " buffet" is a gimic.

The pool was clean and enjoyable minus the people who were annoyed by my 10 month olds squeals of joy.

Clean Rooms. Comfy beds and OKAY staffing.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently traveled for business and stayed as part of a group during early October. I was provided a room on the conceirge level (6th floor) and had a distant view of the Maine Mall. The room was set back from the road and you could not hear any distractions.

The room was standard (2 queen beds) with a work station and a flat screen television. The maid service was generally good although they tended not to get to the room until after 3PM each day.

I was disappointed in two things with the hotel:

1) the bathroom smelled musty and like mildew. The caulk around the tub showed evidence of mildew. It could use an update and maintenance should be regularly addressing mildew issues for their travelers.

2) the conceirge service offered great food but the staffer in the evening was rude. After a long drive to get to the hotel, I went Sunday evening to get something to drink and see what they had to eat. The male staffer wanted to know what I wanted - a juice I said. A juice - all you want is a juice? The juice is warm - you know that right? No, I didn't know that and I didn't care - I just wanted a juice. I asked him if it was okay to get a plate of food and his comment was that's what it was there for. Needless to say, I didn't need to ask another thing from him my entire visit.

My experience with Marriott hotels are almost always extremely positive. This will not go down in my memory as an enjoyable place to stay or return or recommend.

Standard service all around.

Good for most but disappointed as a Marriott Gold Rewards traveler.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing towards Portland would be ideal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Owen A
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I agree with reviewers who commented on the "musty smell" of their room. However, we opened our window, ran the a/c and when we returned the room was considerably fresher (perhaps the hotel should consider trying this prior to assigning rooms).

I agree with some reviewers who suggested the dark, older furnishings could truly use a "refresh." I agree with reviewers who described the property as "older" and in need of "updating."

I disagree with reviewers who suggested the staff was less than professional and cordial. Our experience with every staff member we encountered was, at a minimum, pleasant and most were warm and extremely helpful. I regret I did not get the name of the desk agent who checked us in -- she was both efficient and personable. Carl, in the Concierge Lounge, is a true asset to those guests who have lounge access.

It's a shame the property has the tough part -- customer service -- conquered and are only lacking the easy part, capital investment to improve the physical plant. This is one of many properties owned and managed by a large hospitality group which would be well-served to invest in improving this property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Few full service hotels are available in the Portland, Maine area, however the Marriott at Sable Oaks is one of the better ones! The property is conveniently located near the Airport as well as just off the Maine Turnpike. It is a older Marriott property, however the lobby and restaurant area are all new. The rooms are comfortable and housekeeping staff really keeps them super clean~!! The furniture is dated/ old and some cases worn thus perhaps the rooms are the next to remodeled ? The Club Lounge is very well run, and well equipped with breakfast and evening foods/drinks. I also appreciate the personal touches the Club Lounge Attendant shows in making sure each guest is cared for. The whole staff actually at the property is customer focused, and wants to make sure your visit is a very good one! As a Platinum Marriott Rewards Member I sometimes get upgraded here to the club floor, but always have access to the Club Lounge when I stay here. If your looking for full service in a clean and comfortable hotel with outstanding customer service this property is for you!

Room Tip: Recommend rooms facing pool area not back side as you will be facing delivery /waste removal docks...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cave Creek, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

The room was comfortable & had nice amenities such as a magnified make-up mirror. We had a wonderful dinner on-site as well. Parking was free as was 4 hours of Internet. You can hear planes at the airport, but that was not major.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here about a month ago. The hallways echo and walls are thin. My room was far away from the elevators and I could still hear all the noise from that area. The rooms are also tiny so if there's noise next door, you really have no place to move to, no couch, no other rooms, etc. This is really bad when there's a group of noisy people. And hotel staff and management from my experience are not helpful. They send up housekeeping staff to handle noise complaints who barely speak English. At night, their staff seems to be teenage kids on party mode at the front desk across from the bar. If you are in the partying spirit, you'll get along fine. If you're there for business, they might treat you like a party pooper, especially if you have a noise complaint. They will probably find you funny, and get even a bigger laugh if you complain to management. Management seems to always back the staff. Whatever you do, don't stay there for anything high stakes.

The rooms are small, unimpressive, greasy tables, bad lighting, and some of my pillows smelled.

Sable Oaks is an ideal place for a hotel. Even the Marriott books to 100 percent capacity in the summer, probably based on location alone. If another developer where to build a decent quality hotel at Sable Oaks, I'm sure it would do well.

Room Tip: 659 is the best room. It is in the quietest corner on the top floor (concierge level) farthest away...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter W
Norwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

For sure this is a business oriented hotel, however my wife daughter and I recently spent a nice 1 night stay. We stayed on the 6th floor in a good sized room.

Breakfast was excellent, the pool, sauna, jacuzzi were fine, but our beds were extremely hard. My daughter slept well, but neither my wife or I did.

The bar also has a surprisingly great beer selection on draft.

Staff was very helpful and friendly, ample parking, I even got in a great run. You can run through the industrial park and on an abandoned road that cut the golf course in half.

We would stay again.

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#13 of 19 in Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,487 reviews

Been to Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks? Share your experiences!