“Been Here Many Times-Internet in Room is Horrible!”

Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stay here when we come to Portland to visit family. Room is fine, TV is fine, food in the restaurant was good. I needed and tried to use the internet in my room #538 it was horrible. Slow, 400 kb/sec max download compared to Comcast which gives you 17mb/sec download. That is a huge difference. The speed made dealing with my business needs impossible. They now offer Starbucks coffee in the lobby at 50% more than you would pay at a local Starbucks and the coffee in the room is bad. (a huge turn off). The pool is nice, the rooms are clean. Next time I come to Portland I'm looking for a hotel that has decent internet service, which was fine at Sable Oaks previously but is now very bad. Perhaps they changed their provider since you don't need a code to get wireless, but it's so bad you can't use it.

Room Tip: If you need internet access for business try it before you stay. My room was terrible.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hilife
There are newer reviews for Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a great property, nicely set back from the road, and full of character. Check in staff was quick and friendly. There are quite a few choices nearby for food. It has a nice pool and my kids loved it. Concierge was nicely set up, and we enjoyed our breakfast. Overall great service I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if available, you get a bit more space.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrmusic4ads
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice hotel, in a good location by the mall. Lobby/bar/restaurants are quite nice, with many big screen TVs to catch the game. The rooms are standard Marriott decor, which seem to be renovated, as they have the "old style" layout, but the bed (nice and firm) desk and TVs are top notch.

Only gripes:
1) Old toilet and it didn't flush without holding the handle down for at least 5 seconds. Easy fix Marriott.
2) Old header/AC unit with a wall control that ONLY allowed for temp setting. This drives me nuts because the unit rumbles to life when heat is needed, then turns off. I like to sleep with it on "FAN ONLY" mode, which many Marriott's have, but not this one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeffrey W
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just stayed at the Marriott Sable Oaks last Saturday. We had our anniversary and wanted to make it special so we stayed at the Marriott and went downtown for dinner at Fore Steet (definitely recommend). Hotel is convenient to getting on 295 to go downtown as well as close to the Maine Mall and shopping and other restaurants. I am a Platinum member of Marriott's program and found the hotel to be nice. It has been recently renovated. Registration staff could have been friendlier, the room was good, and a good layout. We were on the Club level, it was nice as there were few people on it, though the club was not open on the weekend. Had reserved the breareakfast package and recommend it.

Only issue was we left some clothes haning in the closet and have called twice without any response as to whether or not they have been found or retrieved. Plan to call again tomorrow and ask for a Manager to talk to. The Lost and Found is only a recording and seems to be a black hole since it's been 2 days since we left the first message. Would stay there again, but be sure not to leave behind anything unless you want to call it a donation to Goodwill.

Room Tip: Recommend a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2012

we stay here every Thanksgiving to visit family in the area. Two years now we have had Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel. We love the location very close to the Maine Mall and the highway but no noise and traffic. The rooms are clean and love the Bath and Body Ginger line. We enjoy the convenience of the Bar and restaurant and have always have had great service from the staff and good food!! When we come back to the hotel in the evening there were wonderful sugar cookies and Hot apple cider in the lobby. This year my son and his wife brought their Corgi and they had a ground floor room with a slider to the back. I always feel like this hotel makes my visit to Portland stress free!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three days during a conference and it's a pretty solid mid-range hotel that you would expect from Marriott. Nothing particularly bad, but also nothing especially fantastic about it either. Wait, I take that back. The toiletries (by Bath & Body Works) are really great and smell amazing. Other than that, pretty standard. The rooms are an average size and of average cleanliness, although housekeeping doesn't do a great job with making a newly made up room look "polished." Towels are hung messily, bed linens look a little haphazard, etc. Not that that's something that would detract from staying there again, but was a little disappointing. The lobby is averagely nice, and I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but that also seemed average-ish, maybe on the good side of average. Personally I thought the bed was VERY comfortable, although I spoke to other conference-goers who thought they were too hard.

It's a bit over-priced for the location and what you get, but as other reviewers have mentioned it's easy enough to get to the Maine Mall and Old Port. In short, I would be happy enough to stay here again, but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor on the right-hand side of the corridor look straight out into a parking lo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank kaieisle
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here when we were in Portland for the weekend. The room was comfortable and looked like it was refurbished failrly recently. The heating/cooling unit was kind of noisy - it's one of those window units you often see in hotels of a certain age. The lobby and restaurant were recently renovated. Staff was friendly and helpful. All in all, this is a standard hotel for any of the major chains. The location is in an office park near the Maine Mall (a large shopping area which includes a large mall but also a lot of other development and many chain restaurants) and the airport - but it is far enough away from both that noise is not an issue. It takes about 15-20 minutes to downtown Portland, which is where the more interesting shopping, restaurants, and sights are located. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn Airport
#4 of 13 in South Portland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks? Share your experiences!