“Convenient to Mall, Airport, I-95 and I-295” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Portland Airport

Courtyard Portland Airport
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
“Convenient to Mall, Airport, I-95 and I-295”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Located across the entry drive from Sebago Brewery, the hotel is close to the mall and its associated stores and chain restaurants, Walmart and the Christmas Tree Shoppe. Really, other than Sebago, that is why you came to Portland and Maine. Fortunately, the hotel is also conveniently located near I-295 and the short drive into Portland and the Old Port. There are plenty of great restaurants, bars, and shops at the end of the 10 minute drive in to Portland. I-95 is nearby for travels and connections north and south (anyone interested in skiing or hiking?). Even US Route 1 is easy to get to as you head toward Portland Head Lighthouse or the beaches. If you don't have a car, I'm sorry. Go back to the airport and get one. If you are here for the alcohol, grab a GPS and find Allagash Brewery, Maine Mead Works, and New England Distillary for the whole spectrum of micro producers
This hotel has all of the ammenities you would expect of a Courtyard or any midpriced chain hotel. Courtyard has always served their breakfast buffet in a restaurant-like setting and charged for it. The area now opens in the evening and is a convient place to purchase a meal or a drink. What was new at this Courtyard (as well as the one I stayed at in Portland, ME) was the absence of free coffee in the lobby (not sure if this is a change for the entire chain or just Maine).
When I travel for personal reasons I like a clean hotel in a convienent location. I appreciate friendly service and will appointed rooms. I don't expect a lot, rarely using a pool, fitness center or business area for that matter. An airport shuttle is often a plus. This Courtyard had all of these (even small refigerators in each guest room).
I don't always take advantage of the breakfast even if it is free. But, while I hate to be petty, the one amenity I regularly use and expect is free coffee in the morning to start my day. Yes, there are coffee makers in each room but it isn't the same. The coffee is fine and I don't even mind making it, but I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar and the creamer packets in the room (unlike the lobby options) are horrible. Also, there are no paper cups in the room to grab your first cup of coffee and head out to start your day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your detailed and thorough review, we really appreciate the time you took to write this. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed how close we were to things you were interested in or wished to see, and you found us clean, friendly and efficient. Also, we noticed your comment about paper cups or "to go" cups. We had been toying with the idea of this previous to your comment but weren't sure if guests prefer to have just the ceramic mugs. It's becoming more likely we may end up having both the mugs and "to go" cups. That way you can enjoy your delicious coffee in the room in a nice mug, or head out the door with a "to go" cup to keep you going in those early mornings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lincolnville, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is our go to place to stay in Portland. Just 10 minutes from PWM. 15 minutes from bus and train center. Always has the best prices. Super clean and best staff anywhere. Usually can book at last minute without the captive audience up charging!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It's great to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that we have become your top choice to stay when you visit. It is definitely awesome being so close to things like the waterfront of Portland and the airport. We look forward greatly to seeing you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a typical Courtyard Marriott - clean, inviting spaces, friendly, professional staff. The business center in the middle of the lobby was not something I'd seen before, but a nice touch. The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, we did not hear the heat at night. We were only there for one night - did not go to the pool or fitness center. The breakfast was pricy and not good - I'd recommend going elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you so much for putting a little time aside to leave us a review on TripAdvisor. It is definitely pleasing to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed all we had to offer here at the Courtyard. Also happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and professional. We look forward to hopefully seeing you stay with us again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Fought some holiday traffic to find the place. When I got there i figured i was in for the standard Courtyard which was what i got when i saw the lobby. Nice and modern with the lil cafe and tables/chairs. Had a little issue at check-in that was not resolved which made me question their customer service. Once i got to the room i was pleasantly surprised. It was huge for a Courtyard, nice big bathroom too. Had a nice small fridge and plenty of room to move about. I really liked the setup since have been staying in lots of small rooms lately. The beds and pillows not the most comfy ever but not horrible. The room was pretty quiet even though i was near the elevator and ice machine. Shower had plenty of hot water and nice new towels. Better than expected though customer service may need some additional training.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Coconut Creek, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I didnt spend much time in this hotel. It was 1 am, cold, pouring rain and i couldnt find the Fairfield INN, also owned by Mariott. I was very tired. When I saw the Mariott Courtyard in South Portland (off of Maine Mall road) , I thought I actually finally found my hotel and that Mariott simply changed the name. Unfortunately that wasnt the case.

My initial impression by the lobby was it was your typical mid to upper level Category hotel from Mariott but as stated, it was simply a hotel to sleep in for 9-10 hours where in the day light, I could search for the other property. The surprise came when I awoke to take a shower. I noticed the sheets had blood stains (see the attached pic). At first I thought they were mine but it wasnt the case so I became a bit queasy afterwards. I would have noticed it right away had I not been so tired but there is no excuse for the courtyard to make a bed like this. How could you miss blood stains? And isn’t this sort of thing regulated?

I sent pics of the sheets to Mariott customer care. I was a bit surprised not to hear a reply. I suppose that sometimes you do not NOT get what you pay for. I am still a bit shocked over it. We are talking Mariott Courtyard here. I mean Really????

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank mark k
Dayna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I am so sorry that there were stains on your sheets. Our standard is not to use sheets with stains of any kind on them. I apologize that somehow the stains on your sheets were overlooked. I will certainly follow up with housekeeping and use your experience as a training tool to help us maintain our high standards of cleanliness.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and for your continued loyalty to Marriott.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We opted for the best price rather than mere proximity. We stayed 3 nights while visiting Portland and we were within 10 minutes of everything that we needed. The Marriott was very clean, the rooms were nice and spacious and the staff was always very polite. I am happy with our choice and I would absolutely stay here again, if I ever decided to return to Portland...

I did not try the pool or workout room but both looked nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
We loved hearing that you enjoyed staying with us. We definitely are happy to be so close to everything so that our guests can experience all that Portland has to offer. Hope you do come pay another visit to Portland (when it's warm!) and come stay with us again.
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Enjoyed a comfortable stay. Clean. Good service. The pay breakfast in the morning is good, Starbucks coffee. Room was very comfortable. Room is well laid out and is a good room to do business work in. Free wifi with no issues.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We love that you were able to enjoy the delicious Starbucks coffee, comfortable room and speedy wifi. Hope to have you stay with us again and thank you for your time in writing us a review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#7 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 stars 388 reviews

Been to Courtyard Portland Airport? Share your experiences!