“Nice Courtyard but some service and housekeeping problems”

Courtyard Portland Airport
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently spent 1 night at Courtyard Portland Airport the night before my flight home. This was the last hotel of 5 on my recent hiking tour of coastal Maine. I have been a Marriott Rewards member since the 80's and have stayed at various Marriott-branded properties, both US and international, including many Courtyards.

This Courtyard is located on Southborough Drive in South Portland, 3 miles from Portland Jetport and near the Maine Mall. They do have a free airport shuttle service. The property has 88 rooms and 4 suites on 4 floors and park and fly rates are available. Please see their web site for a full list of services and amenities.

My initial experiences were interesting, to say the least. The check in itself was painless, but when I got to my room neither of the card keys I was given worked. I had to use a house phone on the floor to call down and ask for a key that worked.

When I finally got into my room it was freezing as housekeeping had left the AC set to the middle 60's. I had to switch it to heat to get the room to a comfortable tempature.

After getting my things in the room, I went back down to the lobby to arrange for an early morning wake up call and shuttle to the airport. I very clearly told the clerk that I needed to be at the airport by 6 am and I was asking him what shuttle I should be on since I didn't know their shuttle schedule. His answer was: "So you want to be on the 6 am shuttle, right?" I had to go thru this with him 3 times before he got it right - really poor listening skills - very frustrating!

The hotel itself, and my room, were typical Courtyard, which I like. I usually sleep very well in a Courtyard and did so here also.

My room, # 308, was nice except for the bathroom. The shower curtain was on the usual curved rod, but, even though the rod was mounted fairly high above the tub, it was too long for the enclosure and it bunched up along the bottom edge of the tub. There was room to mount it higher than it was, which would have solved the problem. Hotels, when are you going to get it that it is uncomfortable to have to step on or stand on the shower curtain when taking a shower? Either get a shower curtain that fits or mount the rod higher! I have run into this a lot lately.

Also, there was black and red mildew around both soap dishes. And speaking of the soap dishes in the shower, they were both larger than normal and mounted in the corner nearest the shower head. I bumped the top one with my elbow several times while washing and rinsing my hair under the shower spray. It seems like they could have been better placed. On a positive note, the water pressure was very good with endless hot water.

SNAFU's aside, this stay worked for me, albeit on the expensive side for a Courtyard, and I would consider staying here again if flying in or out of PWM. But I wouldn't hesitate to shop for a better rate at the other options nearby. I rate this Courtyard and my experience here as average, a 3 out of the 5 available tripadvisor ratings.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Dayna R, Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is feedback from our guests that help us to continually improve.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been staying here since they opened. It's 3.5 miles from city center and about 1 mile from the airport.

The rates are always better here than in city center Portland. If you don't mind a 10 min drive, this is your place.

This fits the standard for all Courtyards. Clean, good ac, updated and decent shower. I can't say much more.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Captpablo
Shamus R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you, we appreciate your review of us. Being that slight distance from the downtown area usually does make for a much less expensive stay. Even if you don’t want to drive the 15 minutes yourself, it is less than a $20 taxi ride.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night during our trip from New Jersey to New Brunswick, Canada. The room was very clean and spacious considering it had 2 queen beds. Our two children still had room to play. The hotel was located right off 95 next to the Maine Mall. The brew pub next store made a good stop for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your great review of us. Our location is perfect for people like you that are driving through. We are located just off of I95 and I295, making it a very convenient stop. Don’t forget on your next trip through that Sebago Brewing offers a discount with your room key.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Located within a ten minute drive from PWM with airport transportation. The rooms are clean as is the rest of the property. Nice array of breakfast items both hot and cold. This Courtyard has not yet gone with the Bistro concept for food and beverage, therefore they still have a warm lobby and bar (which I prefer). Small fitness center but new equipment with free weights. Sebago brewing company is next door, serving locally brewed beers and good food. The place is always busy with locals and tourists alike. The staff is friendly, the beds are comfortable, it's in a quiet area, with airport transportation. Unless you can stay downtown, this is the next best thing!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review. Unfortunately for those who like our lobby the way it is, we will be renovating this winter. We will switch over to the new Bistro concept, but we will not be losing the bar, or the great options of both hot and cold breakfast items for sale. We believe with our great staff that we can make this new concept be as warm and inviting as our current concept. Next time you visit, bring your room key over to Sebago for a 10% discount on their great food.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just had one night in South Portland, but the room that I had was the nicest yet. This Courtyard has some 1 bedroom suites at the end of the halls. Plenty of room, Nice bathroom. Now if only the breakfast buffet was included, then this would be a five for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your rave review. We quite enjoy our spacious suites as well.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The true test of a buisness is how they handle a bad situation. My wife and I stayed at this property monday night aug 13. All was fine room was clean and comfortable.
then we turned on the shower at 6:30 am and it was cold...well it was maybe 70 degrees. Cold.
I thought it was just the adjustment tried all kinds of stuff. nope just cold or colder. We made the best of it and went to breakfast. Others also mentioned that they had a cold start to the day. The staff handeled the situation very well. They gave us breakfast free and said that the best they could do was to give us points towards our marriott rewards card. I actually live in the real world and am aware that "stuff happens" so That worked for me. I did see a couple of self important suites growl at the lady behind the desk and I have to say she handeled them very well. ( like it was her fault, seriously) Yes I would stay there again. I travel south to portland quite often and have stayed in all the marriotts in that area.
I am also impressed that the manager reads and cares about and answers tripadvisor ratings.
(room 204 the door needs adjustment. it opens and closes hard) i'll be back.

Room Tip: second floor is a good choice
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Shamus R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your understanding in what was a difficult situation for everyone. I apologize for the cold shower and I know from experience how shocking it can be jumping into 70 degree water when you are expecting a hot shower. We greatly appreciate when people are so understanding in these situations. We have since started looking into an alarm that would sound behind the front desk whenever our water temperature drops. Hopefully this will help us to prevent these problems in the future. Again, thank you so much for your graciousness in a tough situation.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

The nice thing about chains is that you usually have a fair idea going into it what you're going to get. As with most Courtyards, this is an upscale budget hotel. Nothing fancy, but clean, quiet rooms and professional staff. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen2014

Thank you for helping out our scores with your good review. It is great to hear that you would stay with us again. We would love to have you come again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 13 in South Portland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine

Been to Courtyard Portland Airport? Share your experiences!