“Great Tapas!”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #18 of 147 Restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Quezon City, Philippines
“Great Tapas!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our kids suggested we try Romano's Macaroni Grill because they felt like eating Italian food. Staff were friendly and service was fast. We enjoyed a variety of their Tapas, zucchini fritti, macaroni and cheese balls, sausage and potatoes and prosciutto and mozzarella. The servings were huge so we basically brought home our main course of shrimp portofino and the pasta sampler. We liked all th dishes that were prepared and we will go back again.

Visited October 2012

Bowdoinham, Maine
“Never will go back”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went once years back and don't remember it being that bad. I went last weekend with my niece and sister in law. We went just after 11am when they opened. We just got done picking my bridesmaids dresses so were hoping to have a nice lunch and some girl time. Well we had the girl time but, as of a good service and lunch, that did not happen. First of all there were just three of us that went and we didn't order appetizers. Just drinks and a meal. First off, yes the waitress was nice but, that’s it. She only brought plates, silverware and glasses for two. The most basic easy thing is to provide your customers with dinning ware. She was unable to due so. We mentioned it and still she was unable to do so. I ended up having to go to another table to get dinning ware. I wanted some water and to have a plate for the bread we were given. We were there along with just one other table. There was a family of four that came in after us. They got severed and left before we did. Toward the end there were a few tables that came in after us and left before we did. At one point out waitress brought us another bread and then took our plates and my niece’s fork. So she brings us bread but, takes the plates. We were getting upset at this point. Then we finally get our food. I had to ask for more water because she was not asking if we needed anything like she should have. The food was okay. It was over priced. You think a lunch menu you would have lower prices. Even for a dinner menu the prices were high. We were there 2 hours. For getting there first thing and just meals and drinks, it shouldn’t have taken that long. My sister in law in the end said something after waitress asked how everything was. My sister in laws response was “it was ok and took to long”. The waitress just said “Perfect”! Not the response you make. We were not impressed at all. I will never go back there. Horrible dinning experience!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Wicked82
Ocean Park, Maine
“Surprisingly good! (for a chain)”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We all have those places we hate to admit that we frequent. Applebee's was my go-to when the kids were younger. Now that I am all grown up, I don't usually go to places that offer paper placemats with crayons! I assumed (wrongly so) that Macaroni Grill was another "applebee's" type chain.

I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere, the warm lighting and italian ambiance. The two ladies I work with had both been before, but it was my first time. When the waitress arrived, she was very nice, professional, well-trained. On a time limit for our lunch we let her know right away. She was quick without rushing us. The food was excellent. Portions were reasonable to large for a lunch.

• Visited May 2012
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Not your Mother's Lasagna”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

How hard can it be to thaw a small piece of lasagna in a microwave and then pop it in the oven for a few minutes without leaving the inside cold and dry and the outside burnt, then top it off with a tiny little dollop of watery tomato sauce. Rather than send it back I asked our waitress for some more sauce… I am still waiting for it. Since this masterpiece had been preceded by a watery Caesar salad, this was not my best meal ever. Now, this isn’t our first time at Macaroni Grill, in fact we have been going there on and off for years for decent, consistent meals at a reasonable price. And, if you can get consistency and decent service at a chain restaurant, what’s the point of going.

I’m sure the restaurant would prefer that I complain to the staff rather than vent on Trip Advisor (if they care at all that is). But, since the waitress who served us obviously saw what she was lading out, there wasn’t much point in telling her. And since she never did come back with the extra sauce or to find out if I was enjoying my masterpiece there wasn’t much opportunity. So no more Macaroni Grill in my future.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank DiamondBill
Maine
“Mixed Experience, But Very Good Overall”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our party of seven waited quite a while for a table on a Friday night. We used our waiting time to preview the menu as it was past 8:00 when we were seated and we were hungry. Our waitress was pleasant, though sometimes a bit absent as the evening went along. I ordered a glass of wine and was surprised when a small carafe arrived at the table. It was then explained that you either order a 4 oz small pour or an 8 oz quarentino (or something like that). The time for the description was when I ordered, not when the wine arrived. It was more wine than I wanted, so I shared it with a friend. The wine itself was very good, but I found the price to be high and the style of service to be somewhat deceptive. On to the food. The rosemary bread and dipping oil were excellent. For entrees, our table ordered Chicken under a Brick, Pollo Caprese, Chicken Marsala, Chicken Milanese (the best in my opinion), Paparadelle with Beef, and two orders of GF Pasta with Alfredo & Chicken. All were rated as very good to excellent except the Paparadelle. The pasta was gummy and the beef was - well - where was it? My daughter discovered a fly in the sauce part way through (ICK, but hey, it happens) and the waitress reacted appropriately and removed the entree from the bill. I found that the whole meal took a bit too long, but also recognize that I was tired and hungry so it probably felt longer than it actually was. I will definitely eat here again but will pay closer attention to the details on the wine menu.

• Visited September 2012