“Good food, decent restaurant”

Taj Indian & Indo-Chinese Cuisine
Ranked #19 of 149 Restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Taj, home to the best Indian and Indo-Chinese cuisine in Maine. Taste the finest of India's cuisine presented with flair in a pleasant and ambient setting.Indian cuisine is a combination of subtle tastes. Flavors are as varied as the climate of India and as exotic as the people of India. Fragrant spices are delicately blended in meticulous proportions to create the dishes we present to you. Fresh and natural ingredients are used by our experienced chefs to create a variety of mouth watering dishes.India's varied cuisine is as diverse as its culture, languages and regions. Every region in India brings its own unique dishes and subtle variations to popular dishes by its inspired use of wonderful spices and herbs, including coriander, cumin, cilantro, paprika, saffron, and cinnamon. Every dish is created from a unique blend of flavorings, spices with the purity of mother nature. The cuisine of Our Place, is known for its flavor, savory sauces enriched by nuts, cream and fruits.Taj Indian cuisine is a remarkable blend of many of these culinary techniques, ingredients and traditions. Please do come and visit us to enjoy your favorite Indian cuisine served by our experienced staff in a relaxing and romantic ambience.Join us for dinner or our daily lunch buffet for an experience you will want to repeat often.
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We went there on a slow night. The good was good, but we had done problems with the server understanding we wanted everything gluten free and not just a dish or two. The service was slow, probably because he was chatting with two regulars. The foods was good; not spicy was not spicy. The cost was reasonable and I didn't feel like grabbing a hamburger on the way home to fill up. They tolerated my two kids without a complaint. I think the lunch buffet would be a good bargain, too. I will eat here again.

2  Thank DaBiZi
There are newer reviews for Taj Indian & Indo-Chinese Cuisine

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been to this place 9 or 10 times and have tried many dishes and have never failed to be pleased. It is amazing to have such consistently interesting and tasty food. The Saag Paneer is excellent. The vegetable samosas are great.family-run, authentic and DELICIOUS. Have taken many native Indians here and they all love, love, love the cuisine. As good as it gets. Try this place out. You won't be disappointed

3  Thank Emily G
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My Biryani had 2 bones in it, one was large (3/4 inch long) and to cap it off there was a black hair in it as well.

1  Thank Amandaxxy
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Four of us ate at Taj the other night and had a delicious meal with lots of variety. I love Indian food but don't claim to be as knowledgeable as some of the other reviewers. However, I know when I enjoy a meal and we have tried other places in the area and left disappointed. But not here. We had the chicken65, which was so good. Other members of our party had various chicken entrees, all of which were extremely good. I ordered the eggplant curry and it was simply terrific. They are willing to add hotness to any item, and they do a good job of judging levels of hotness. We ordered several items as "medium," and the food was noticeably spicy hot but not overwhelmingly so. The naan was superb, very fresh with just the right chewiness and delicious butter flavor.

The service was very good, pleasant, and polite. They truly seem to want people to be happy with their food. Everything seemed very reasonably priced.

4  Thank Kona4
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I know I had my favorate Indian restaurants before. Taj is one of a kind with South Indian flare that no one else has in Maine! Their buffet is great with varity of vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes along with south indian special foods like Dosa, Vada, Pakora etc.
For the vegetarian lovers try the Gobi Manchuria it is out of this world!

2  Thank Tirumala M