“Fine Dining in SoPo Maine”
Review of David's 388

David's 388
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Call ahead and make a reservation, otherwise you may miss out on one of the best neighborhood restuarants in Southern Maine. The menu changes frequently, so it is hard to say we have a favorite. The small bites are all great, seafood is fresh and creative. Love all the salads, and they have, hands down, the best burger and truffle fries in Southern Maine. The service is always great, friendly, but efficient. A real treat is to sit at the cooks' table. The wine list has something for everyone in reasonable prices. Desserts are good, but Beal's Ice Cream is around the corner. We have had many dinners here, from a party of two to reserving the entire back room for a rehearsal dinner for 28. Every visit, we are pleased with the food, service, and value!

There are newer reviews for David's 388

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were there on a Friday night. It's a little noisy for older people, but otherwise our two 70+ year olds had as much fun as the 24 year old and those of us in between. Service was great despite the busy evening. The food was excellent, and so was the wine. Wine list was a little odd-- choices seemed very limited within each major category of wine. While the idea is admirable, it would have been nice if they had a go-to wine in each category for those times when a host is meeting somewhat unfamiliar needs. We enjoyed ourselves and the setting was a good part of that.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is excellent and I know of no other restaurant in the area where you get this quality at a very fair price. It is just the right amount of food for ordinary appetites which I appreciate. It is quality over quantity. Presentation excellent.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

For our Valentine's wedding anniversary I chose David's 388 mainly because of their ads on the local visitor's channel. There were only 2 'tables' left for the whole evening, and my husband chose to sit at 'The Chef's Table" which turned out to not be a table at all, but 4 bar seats overlooking the kitchen. The restaurant is small and quaint, and the staff was welcoming. The menu changes regularly, and the Valentine's menu ($75pp, 5 course meal with Champange toast) was outstanding. My butternut squash/apple bisque was too peppery for my palate, but that was my only complaint. The tenderloin was fork tender, even at medium well. My husband's scallop appetizer had him nearly licking the plate. Our neighbors at the other two bar seats were regulars, and offered us a taste of their Kentucky bourbon pecan dessert. My sabayon with fresh berries was good, but the Kentucky bourbon dessert was definitely the way to go. We thoroughly enjoyed dining at The Chef's Table and would highly recommend it! Lastly, I witnessed something I've never seen before - a gentleman came to the back and tipped the chef and his crew with a fairly large bill. The folks next to us tipped the chef and sous chef each $20. Having seen that, we also felt obligated to give something. Not sure if I like the idea of having or feeling the need to leave a tip for the waitress, and then slip the chef a greenback toohathaway sure this will not be the last time we visit David's 388, but with a final dinner total of $189 + two tips.....it will be awhile before our wallets recover.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This neighborhood-style restaurant has familiar menu [comforting appetizers, a small but careful selection of things like pork chop "rib eye", beef tenderloin, scallops] but our party of three this past week noted that every single dish was distinguished by a subtle and/or unexpected flavor, like the hint of smoked paprika on fingerling potatoes, nicely spiced squash under the scallops, etc. Like others, we liked the crispy goat cheese fritter appetizer. Wines are very fairly priced, desserts delicious, service friendly and attentive. If you're in Portland, this is well worth a 5 minute drive over the bridge.