“Amazing!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were camping in Old Orchard Beach and were looking for restaurants on Trip Advisor and found this wonderful restaurant. Based on the reviews, we made the drive to South Portland and we weren’t disappointed. We got there around 7:30 and the place was packed (always a good sign). The only option for seating was at the Chef's table. It was our first time at any Cher's Table and it was a fantastic experience! We had a bottle of wine, an appetizer, a meal each (the duck was spectacular!) and two deserts between us and our bill was only $120ish? For the quality of the food it was well worth it (we would go back and still pay more)! While we were waiting for our food the Chef was feeding us little samples of everything he was making. We tried the truffle fries, the crispy goat cheese fritters and the duck breast canapé. Everything was so great and the staff was wonderful. Can’t wait for our next trip down!

2  Thank Krista R
There are newer reviews for David's 388

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Every weekend I bike along the coast of Maine from our cottage in Prouts Neck to a fabulous, funky bakery called Scratch in South Portland. In a neighborhood of 80 year old two-family behemoth homes and health-food stores and art galleries is a small, wonderful restaurant called David's. Last night my wife and I went for dinner. It was fairly crowded on a Thursday evening and our waitress told us it's like that every night, so make reservations ahead. Upon entering, it reminded me of a pocket-sized Portland institution called Street & Company. Upscale, artisan everything, emphasis on doing a limited number of things very, very well. My wife ordered arugula salad and haddock, I had a craving for meat so I ordered the Classic Burger - cheddar cheese, thick, crispy bacon strips on ciabatta bread with a cone of crispy pommes frites. Excellent -- one of the best. My wife loved her pan-seared haddock with mushrooms & spinach risotto but I was so engaged with my burger that I couldn't even tell you what her food looked like. For starters I ordered mac & cheese and bacon -- pure comfort food bliss. And since I had biked 23 miles that afternoon, I splurged on a chocolate brownie with homemade vanilla ice cream and bananas flambé with bourbon sauce. Service was as crisp as my fries and the prices very reasonable. Little wonder David's was packed. I highly recommend this great new find if you're in the Portland area. David's is open 7 days a week.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were staying at the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, and the staff recommended David's 388 over other restaurants close by or even in Portland. We took the recommendation and are glad we did. First, the service is wonderful. We were initially given a weirdly cramped booth by the front door. Observing our discomfort, the hostess and waitress moved us to a table as soon as one opened up. They ept checking in with us to be sure we were happy and to discuss the menu. Second, the vibe is local and friendly. We ended up getting into a conversation with folks at a table next to us. Two couples, lovely people. Third, the food is really good. I had the lamb, and it was perfectly prepared: Still pink, not too well done. And the red wine was phenomenal. It was a great evening out.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The atmosphere, food and service just could not have been better for this neighborhood place. Me plan on traveling over an hour to return here for an evening meal.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We dined on the first Friday of our holiday and had to return for a second time. The food is amazing and do not miss the lamb when it is on the menu, absolutely amazing. Great staff and very good ambiance.