“You definitely want to book this trip!”

Kristin K Charters SportFishing
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in South Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Saltwater fishing charters! Giant Bluefin Tuna, Sharks, Cod, Haddock, Bluefish, Striped Bass, and more! We also offer sea burials and sunset/harbor cruises.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked the 8-hr shark fishing trip with Kristin K Charters for my uncle, my husband, and myself for our vacation in Maine. It was by far the highlight of our week long vacation (we also went to Boston and Newport, RI)!! From the beginning, booking the trip was very easy. Ben was always easily reached via e-mail or phone. The night before our fishing adventure, he even called to recommend we leave 1 hr later than planned so that the waters would have more time to warm up and the sharks would be more active. He didn’t cut our trip short an hour either; he just stayed out longer to make up for the delayed start time.
We took the boat about 20 miles offshore – it took approx 1 hour to get out and for Ben to get all of the bait and lines set. Within 30 – 40 minutes we already had our first 200+ lb blue shark on the line. My uncle and husband both had experience deep-sea fishing, but I did not. Ben was great with helping us as much as we wanted or letting us do all the different parts like setting the hook once we had a “fish on”. In all, we caught/released 8 blue sharks. At one time, we had 3 of 4 sharks just swimming around the boat checking out the bait and chum. That was quite a site to see.
Without a doubt I would recommend spending the money to book this great fishing experience! I did not think I would enjoy it near as much as I did. It is definitely exciting to fight a shark and get him all the way up to the boat. Ben was just as enthusiastic as we were every time we caught one. It didn’t matter where he was standing on the boat, he would hear the click of the line before any of us and literally yell “FISH ON” and then sprint to the back of the boat. I don’t know if I was more amazed at his enthusiasm or his ability to run on the side of the boat and never fall in!(haha) He said he had never fallen overboard or had anyone else fall overboard. Safety first!
Again I’ll say, book this trip! It is absolutely worth the money and one of the most fun/exciting things we have ever done – and we seriously travel a lot! We are already planning our next trip back to Maine or down to the Keys to fish with Capt. Ben again.
Here are a few tips from our experience –
1) Bring drinks and snacks. When you’re out on the water for 8 hrs, you are definitely going to want something to eat and drink. Ben even provided the cooler and ice for us to put all of our water, lunch meat, etc. in. But don’t go overboard packing. You aren’t going to starve in 8 hrs and don’t need enough food to feed an army. You can also bring aboard beer – because I know some of you are wondering.
2) If you turn onto Front Street and happen to notice a nursing home, you are in fact in Portland and not in South Portland. Yes, there are two different cities with basically the same name and the GPS will send you to the wrong place if you do not input “South”. But don’t panic even if you are looking at the nursing home, the Front Street you actually want to be on is a mere 15 minute drive away and Ben will be there patiently waiting.

5  Thank AJackson08_11
bluefinforme, Owner at Kristin K Charters SportFishing, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you guys!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just got back from a stripper trip with Capt. Ben at Kristen K. Charters. This guy knows his stuff he runs a private charter out of South Portland and on a less than ideal day (5-6' swells and gusting winds) he made sure we had the time of our lives. After catching our bait the fun began! I was impressed at how he put us right on the fish. After catching our limit we had a great time doing catch and release with non-stop fun. It wasn't uncommon to have doubles on which always makes for good excitment! Pack a lunch and prepare to enjoy yourself. Based on Capt Ben's personalitiy I'd select him for a day out with your buddies or a trip out with the kids. You owe it to yourself to give this a try.

We're already planning a ground fishing trip in Sept or early Oct and expect another great day on the water.

5  Thank Mike N
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Not the one who normally would write a review but had to in this case. I had the pleasure of fishing on the spacious Kristin K with Captn Ben a few days ago. This was a shark trip and boy o boy did Captn Ben put us on the sharks, Once the top of the food chain predators found our slick and the source ofthe chum it was game on. Non stop action with many many sharks around the boat, A total of 14-15 sharks landed with the largest being GD close to 12ft. I really enjoyed and appreciate the hands on participation of releasing the sharks. Like the title says look no further. Dont worry about your fishing expierence Captn Ben will work with you and land the fish of a lifetime, Cant wait to do it again

4  Thank Dick H
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was the first time for me on a shark fishing trip. I was invited by a friend who has used the charter boat for several years prior. Let me just say, Captain Ben is awesome. Had us on the fish in 3 minutes, literally. Caught about 9 sharks on a day when all the other boats on the radio were calling in very slow days. From what I hear, he is almost always on the fish. Plus, he's a very nice, accommodating guy. I can't wait to go again.

4  Thank Christian G
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We had an incredible time! Capt. Ben put us in the right locations at the right times and we caught many many huge sharks. The fishing was non-stop once the sharks came into the chum and we only stopped because our arms couldn't take any more. I would highly recommend to use Capt. Ben of Kristen K charters if you're considering a fishing trip. He is very knowledgeable about all species of fish and you'll be sure to have a experience that you'll never forget. We've booked our next trip already and can't wait to leave the dock. Thanks Ben!

4  Thank AKM40971
bluefinforme, Owner at Kristin K Charters SportFishing, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

My arms are still sore! Thank you guys so much