“Horrible Stay!”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Deerfield, MA
“Horrible Stay!”
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We booked this hotel for two nights several weeks in advance because we were going to be in town for a wedding with our two children. The hallway leading to the room was a clear indication of what was to lie ahead. It was dark, dingy, dirty, and small - just like our room. We are dog-lovers, ourselves, but this hotel is overrun with them! There were loud, barking dogs all over the property barking at all hours of the night. The walls were paper thin and we could also hear everything our neighbors said all through the night. Lightbulbs were burned out in the room, adding to the dark atmosphere of the place. We spent our morning frantically trying to find another place to stay in the area for the next night and luckily, discovered a gem in Wells/Ogunquit for the same price (Ogunquit Resort Motel which I will review separately). All in all, the hotel was loud, dirty, small rooms, very unclean hot tub and kiddy tub (too small to be called a "pool"). We will never stay there again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unclean, loud, small rooms, very outdated and old hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MommyofTwoGirls
BWmgr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. I did want to point out that you referred to our pool as a kiddy pool, too small to be condisered a real pool. We do have a kiddy pool in the hot tub room, but we also have an swin out style outside heated pool which we keep open year round. The outdside pool is 24'x50' and is condiered to be quite large. Maybe you didn't get to see it. You should try coming sometime this winter. There is really nothing like swinning under the stars in our 90 degree pool, with snow all around. Chek it out!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Boston
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed at Merry Manor July 16 and 17, '07. We chose it because they are pet-friendly and I like to travel with my dog whenever possible.It was also important to us that our hotel have a pool. The heated outdoor pool was heavenly (they keep it open and heated year round)and the indoor hot tub & waterfall are beautiful. Our room had a very comfortable king sized bed with lots of pillows, massage chair (fantastic), small refrigerator and microwave (we brought soda and snacks, and cereal and milk for breakfast-they don't provide dishes/utensils), coffee maker, TV armoire, desk and chair, free internet access and free local calls. Everything was clean, comfortable and attractive. The bathroom has bathtub/shower with massaging shower head, granite counter and two sinks, nice toiletries from Bath & Body works.
The Governor's Restaurant can be reached through hotel hallways so you don't have to go outside in bad weather. Restaurant is family oriented with good basic American food - we had a very nice lobster roll. - and a terrific bakery with lots of pies, cakes, cookies so we brought dessert back to our room after dinner.
When we bring the dog we expect to get the hotel's least attractive rooms but this was clearly not the case at Merry Manor. We were given a room at the back (very quiet) with easy access to the outdoors.
All in all, Merry Manor exceeded our expectations while being especially well located for access to everything Portland has to offer (we loved our trolley tour and harbor cruise). Old Port has lots of shops and restaurants. Portland Museum of Art is a gem. Outlet shopping in Freeport is only 20 minutes away. We will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — pets allowed, pool, lovely room, comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
West Chester, PA
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights on July 2 & 3, 2007. I was able to book the room for $100 per night online and it proved to be a good value. The hotel location is a short drive into Portland or into Scarborough. There is a mall area a couple of miles away which has chain restaurants like Unos, Chilis, etc.

The room was clean and the queen size beds were comfortable. The best thing about the hotel is the pool and hot tub. There were usually several other guests enjoying both, but it was not overcrowded. There is also a nice fitness center room with weight lifting equipment, treadmill, stairmaster and a spinning bike.

The hotel also had one computer with Internet access available in the lobby free for hotel guest use, which was handy as I didn't have a laptop to use wireless.

I wish the hotel would include breakfast. Don't miss seeing the Portland Head Light lighthouse which isn't too far away.

• Liked — Pool, fitness room
  • Disliked — No breakfast included
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Air conditioner made a racket. Room was not clean. Lots of dust. Sink clogged and toilet backed up and overflowed. When the maintenance person came in to unclog, we had to demand the floor be cleaned! The restaurant, Governor's, has mediocre food for fancy prices. We were visiting family and will not stay there again. The only thing going for it is its location but there are several others in the area (Holiday Inn was terrific) that are so much better!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank jundanj2
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend on May 4th and 5th. I had booked the Honeymoon Suite, and was glad I did! The room was huge! There was a fireplace in one corner, a rather large jacuzzi tub in another corner, and a wonderful massage chair that I almost didn't want to get out of. I recommend putting the chair all the way back and doing the full body and the calf massage at the same time..very relaxing. Large king sized bed, with 6 pillows...very comfortable. There is also a loveseat, coffee table and a desk in the room, and 3 telephones! The bathroom was not very large, however there is another sink right outside the bathroom that is very helpful. There still is a sink in the bathroom also. Amenities in the bathroom were all from Bath and Body Works, something I have not seen in any other hotels. Microwave, refridgerator, and coffee pot...newspaper was outside the door each morning. Very, very comfortable and a quiet room. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant, or swim in the pool, so I cannot comment on that. Check in/check out was easy, fast and the staff was courteous.
I would stay here again, but probably only in this room, as it was just great!

• Liked — The room! I absolutely Loved the room.
  • Disliked — If I had to pick something, I guess that there is no view of anything. I like having a view.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank badsherry
Maine
Reviewed February 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed here the nights of 2/23/07 & 2/24/07 and we could not have been more pleased with our choice to stay here. We stayed in a Fireplace Suite, complete with massage chair which was used often. Swimming in the heated outdoor pool is a great way to start and end the day. Governor's Restaurant is next door and you get generous portions at a fair price, very family oriented. A newspaper was outside the door first thing in the morning and our room was well appointed with fridge, microwave, complimentary toiletries, thorough and timely maid service, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron board w/ iron. We slept well in the King bed and our room was quiet. We decided to make this trip three to four times a year and will always stay here.

• Liked — Oudoor heated pool
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank girl-on-the-go1968
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed February 24, 2007

I first stayed at the Merry Manor because they were running a special in my local newspaper- the Bangor Daily News. I have stayed there many times since because of the comfortable, clean, remodelled rooms and the excellent pool area. I stay in a king room that has very comfortable mattress and 6 fluffy pillows, on my most recent visit there was a massage chair in the room, fantastic! Swimming in the outdoor pool is a treat for the senses you get the steamy feel of the pool itself and the refreshing winter air. It is spa-like. The waterfall hottub is also very relaxing. Governor's Restaurant can be reached by walking through the hallways of the hotel, and is a reasonable option if you don't feel like driving anywhere. However there are lots of restaurants within a five minute drive. I have brought nieces and nephews to this hotel for birthdays- be forwarned you cannot get kids out of that pool! I will definitely be choosing the Merry Manor whenever I go to the Portland area.

• Liked — room, pool area
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
#1 of 12 in South Portland
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!