“Loved Merry Manor!”

Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed at Merry Manor July 16 and 17, '07. We chose it because they are pet-friendly and I like to travel with my dog whenever possible.It was also important to us that our hotel have a pool. The heated outdoor pool was heavenly (they keep it open and heated year round)and the indoor hot tub & waterfall are beautiful. Our room had a very comfortable king sized bed with lots of pillows, massage chair (fantastic), small refrigerator and microwave (we brought soda and snacks, and cereal and milk for breakfast-they don't provide dishes/utensils), coffee maker, TV armoire, desk and chair, free internet access and free local calls. Everything was clean, comfortable and attractive. The bathroom has bathtub/shower with massaging shower head, granite counter and two sinks, nice toiletries from Bath & Body works.
The Governor's Restaurant can be reached through hotel hallways so you don't have to go outside in bad weather. Restaurant is family oriented with good basic American food - we had a very nice lobster roll. - and a terrific bakery with lots of pies, cakes, cookies so we brought dessert back to our room after dinner.
When we bring the dog we expect to get the hotel's least attractive rooms but this was clearly not the case at Merry Manor. We were given a room at the back (very quiet) with easy access to the outdoors.
All in all, Merry Manor exceeded our expectations while being especially well located for access to everything Portland has to offer (we loved our trolley tour and harbor cruise). Old Port has lots of shops and restaurants. Portland Museum of Art is a gem. Outlet shopping in Freeport is only 20 minutes away. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed July 7, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights on July 2 & 3, 2007. I was able to book the room for $100 per night online and it proved to be a good value. The hotel location is a short drive into Portland or into Scarborough. There is a mall area a couple of miles away which has chain restaurants like Unos, Chilis, etc.

The room was clean and the queen size beds were comfortable. The best thing about the hotel is the pool and hot tub. There were usually several other guests enjoying both, but it was not overcrowded. There is also a nice fitness center room with weight lifting equipment, treadmill, stairmaster and a spinning bike.

The hotel also had one computer with Internet access available in the lobby free for hotel guest use, which was handy as I didn't have a laptop to use wireless.

I wish the hotel would include breakfast. Don't miss seeing the Portland Head Light lighthouse which isn't too far away.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Air conditioner made a racket. Room was not clean. Lots of dust. Sink clogged and toilet backed up and overflowed. When the maintenance person came in to unclog, we had to demand the floor be cleaned! The restaurant, Governor's, has mediocre food for fancy prices. We were visiting family and will not stay there again. The only thing going for it is its location but there are several others in the area (Holiday Inn was terrific) that are so much better!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jundanj2
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend on May 4th and 5th. I had booked the Honeymoon Suite, and was glad I did! The room was huge! There was a fireplace in one corner, a rather large jacuzzi tub in another corner, and a wonderful massage chair that I almost didn't want to get out of. I recommend putting the chair all the way back and doing the full body and the calf massage at the same time..very relaxing. Large king sized bed, with 6 pillows...very comfortable. There is also a loveseat, coffee table and a desk in the room, and 3 telephones! The bathroom was not very large, however there is another sink right outside the bathroom that is very helpful. There still is a sink in the bathroom also. Amenities in the bathroom were all from Bath and Body Works, something I have not seen in any other hotels. Microwave, refridgerator, and coffee pot...newspaper was outside the door each morning. Very, very comfortable and a quiet room. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant, or swim in the pool, so I cannot comment on that. Check in/check out was easy, fast and the staff was courteous.
I would stay here again, but probably only in this room, as it was just great!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank badsherry
Reviewed February 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed here the nights of 2/23/07 & 2/24/07 and we could not have been more pleased with our choice to stay here. We stayed in a Fireplace Suite, complete with massage chair which was used often. Swimming in the heated outdoor pool is a great way to start and end the day. Governor's Restaurant is next door and you get generous portions at a fair price, very family oriented. A newspaper was outside the door first thing in the morning and our room was well appointed with fridge, microwave, complimentary toiletries, thorough and timely maid service, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron board w/ iron. We slept well in the King bed and our room was quiet. We decided to make this trip three to four times a year and will always stay here.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank girl-on-the-go1968
Reviewed February 24, 2007

I first stayed at the Merry Manor because they were running a special in my local newspaper- the Bangor Daily News. I have stayed there many times since because of the comfortable, clean, remodelled rooms and the excellent pool area. I stay in a king room that has very comfortable mattress and 6 fluffy pillows, on my most recent visit there was a massage chair in the room, fantastic! Swimming in the outdoor pool is a treat for the senses you get the steamy feel of the pool itself and the refreshing winter air. It is spa-like. The waterfall hottub is also very relaxing. Governor's Restaurant can be reached by walking through the hallways of the hotel, and is a reasonable option if you don't feel like driving anywhere. However there are lots of restaurants within a five minute drive. I have brought nieces and nephews to this hotel for birthdays- be forwarned you cannot get kids out of that pool! I will definitely be choosing the Merry Manor whenever I go to the Portland area.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dianaducky
Reviewed September 12, 2006

What a delightful experience! Coming into the lobby is kinda like walking into your family room at home.....there are lots of comfy chairs and sofas, book-shelves with books you can take to your room, a computer that you can use for 30 minutes at a time, cookies on the counter in the evenings, and coffee going all day! The rooms were terrific, beds comfortable, lots of towels, good tv; washer/dryer on the premises for a nominal fee, and a great restaurant next door that had great breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and desserts to die for. We stayed 2 nights and had a wonderful time talking to other travelers in the lobby or visiting the pool area. I would highly reccommend this Best Western for all travelers!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#10 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!