“Nice experience”

Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We were really impressed with our room. It was a bit dated but fit our needs. We had a coffeemaker and a refrigerator..which was really nice. Plenty of soap, shampoo, lotion and coffee. We had a coupon for breakfast in the restaurant next door.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bruce M
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Bruce, thank you for your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear the room fit your needs. All rooms have fridges and microwaves, as well as coffee makers in the rooms. If you don't feel like making coffee, we have a coffee bar in the lobby available 24 hours! We are currently working on making updates to the hotel and recently added granite counter tops to all the bathrooms. We are in the planning stages of updating the furniture and décor in the rooms, as well. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Very easy access to expressway & a short pleasant ride into Portland. If you are in need of a cost-conscious, family hotel near Portland this may work well for you.

The on-site restaurant had pleasant staff & a breakfast buffet (included). The outdoor pool is large.

Bathroom on the snug side. Standard room with some updates, on the flip side there were things I'd change.

Construction ongoing but no bother to us.

I overheard staff checking guests in and they were notably helpful to everyone who came in.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 5ForVacation

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate your business and hope when you travel in the Portland area you will stay with us again! We LOVE getting to know our guests and provide them with a superior experience!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were only staying here for one nite and ended up staying 4 nites. Very comfortable, everything worked great. Very quiet rooms. We ate @ the restaurant for dinner & it was terrific. My lobster was cooked perfectly. The outdoor pool was relaxing & clean. The breakfast, which you get vouchers for, was horrible. I was not happy with the cost for staying Friday & Saturday. I understand the cost would be more. I made the reservation for addl days @ the front desk. Had a did it online I would have saved $30 each day. I am planning on filing a complaint about that

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so happy you enjoyed the hotel so much that you decided to stay longer! I apologize you were unhappy with the increase in the rate on the weekend. You will find that the majority of hotels do have higher rates on the weekend. Sometimes, Best Western will run web specials when you book on-line that have to be booked on-line. Unfortunately when you book on-line there can be stipulations, such as you may be unable to cancel or make any changes to your reservation. At the Merry Manor, we will match on-line rates with Expedia and Booking.com if we are able to confirm the rate. If you would like to contact me at the hotel, I would be happy to look into your complaint.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a tough one, located right off the Pike, close to the Maine Mall, Cape Elizabeth, beaches, downtown, pretty nice resturant right next store and their gym was pretty good, they were somewhat disorganized with their construction upgrade. Now it might be me but I don't remember being told this when I made the reservation( had I it would have made me think twice) and I was ok when I came in on Friday but working on Saturday?? Really now I understand they want to complete it but when it's at the cost of the guest piece of mind and for lack of a better word pretty loud. I know life isn't always fair but this was just plain wrong and maybe i'm the only one who was bothered by it but when they are right outside your window and you have a do not disturb sign on the door and you come in from a long day how would you like it? The desk when I went down I got the customary apology which I didn't need to hear it 4 times as is the hotel it's self was nice in it's current state fromm what had been completed and I liked dining next door, the breakfast was rather good but what puts a damper on it and I know it's out of their control ( or is it) you should'nt be charging full price when your hotel has constuction equipment outside, in use early and late. When I went down to the desk and they say oh they are behind, yea no kidding thanks for telling me I'm sure it'll be really nice when it's completed but for what it's worth it could have been presented in a better way, signs aside saying it's being worked on, staff really should have a better understanding of this type of situation and how to respond than the canned response and you know what? If they were guests how would they have liked it, no next time for me

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately, there is never a good time to complete a construction project when operating a hotel. We try our best to not inconvenience our guests and we try our best to have all projects completed before our peak season begins. Unfortunately, some things are out of our control. We do our best to notify guests of the progress of the construction, I apologize that we failed you. The exciting part of any construction project is that it is to make improvements and updates for the benefit of our guests and we are very excited with all the changes we have made and will be making in the future, after peak season is done!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

if I could rate the comfort of the bed a 20! I would....the location to the city, the lighthouses and the shopping is fantastic! the staff is beyond professional and pleasant . My husband and I would never stay anywhere else while visiting wonderful Portland, Maine! THANKS, again and see you soon

1  Thank Robin K

Robin, we appreciate your top ratings for the comfort of the beds! We'll take the 20 rating! We can't wait to have you and your husband back to stay with us!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

For over 25 years we have been 'Welcome Home' members for the Lafyette Family's hotels; BW Merry Manor Inn is one of the hotels in the chain. We have seen many changes over the quarter century but the constant is the clean, comfortable rooms and caring staff. It is conveniently located to Portland's many sites, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is friendly. Recent upgrades to the facility mean that you must 'pardon our appearance' but the service remains exceptional. The new restaurant (Maine Table) offers fine dining and their breakfast buffet offers a variety of items.

2  Thank Lynda D

Lynda, "Happy 25th Anniversary at Lafayette Hotels!" We appreciate your loyalty to the Lafayette hotels and to the Best Western Merry Manor. You said it perfect, "We have seen many changes over the quarter century but the constant is the clean, comfortable rooms and caring staff." We love hearing from our Welcome Home Guests about how they love the changes we have made and are making to the property. We hope to continue a long relationship with you and your husband....for another 25 years!!!!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very nice hotel for my short stay (Friday and Saturday). Pleasant employees, room clean and pleasant. Hotel large. I found it difficult (walking difficulty) to get to pool, dining area. Hotel is very short drive to Portland and also the beaches. Free breakfast fine if you are traveling with children, otherwise you might want to go to nearby breakfast restaurant. Most important to me--cellphone left in hotel room; called two days after departing and it had been turned in. Hotel returned it to me. This honesty on the part of employees and kindness on the part of staff greatly outweighed any inconvenience the construction caused. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If pool and dining in are important to you, request a room close to them.