“Christmas Gift”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Old Town, Maine
“Christmas Gift”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

For Christmas this year we took our grandchildren to the Polar Express in Portland. I was told about this Hotel by a friend., and she was right, what a great place to take the family, the hotel was wonderful from the time I called to make reservation to check out. We traveled a few hours to get there and I had asked about early check in for my 3 year old darling needed a nap before the train ride. The hotel was great we were able to check in early , gave us adjoining rooms for us stay so we could be close to my sons family. The POOL, A++++, what a life saver in Decembers weather, a heated pool that takes you outside, the grand-kids loved this more than the train ride itself. The Restaurant was great the food excellent plus a kids menu A+, The continental breakfast another A+, I was expecting cereal, bagels ect.... but they served hot food,egg,bacon ect.
The staff was so helpful in every aspect , Laura signed me up for the Best Western reward card for free and YES!!! I will be back have told everyone going to Portland for anything this winter to stay at this hotel, especially families with kids!!!! cookies and coffee at the desk for free and newspaper the only other thing I might suggest just because I had my grandchildren would be hot coco for them at your coffee station at the desk although they did have candy canes .
Thank you for making my Sons family and my Christmas gift to them Perfect!
Diana McKay
Old Town
Maine

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Diana, we are delighted that we could be a part of making your family's Christmas a success! We try our best to accommodate all our guests needs. We are so happy that we were able to fulfill all of yours. The heated outdoor pool is a big hit with kids, young and old. The hotel is centrally located to downtown Portland and the Maine Turnpike that getting to the many attractions that Maine has to offer is easy. We hope to see you back soon, for a winter getaway. Happy Holidays from all of us at the Best Western Merry Manor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Merry Manor and had some last minute convoluted detail changes to my reservation. Laura, the front desk staff, provided me exceptional service - she was very efficient, helpful, flexible, patient, and understanding with the up-to-the-minute changes that were occuring. The Best Western chain is very fortuante to have someone of her caliber working for them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Clare for recognizing the excellent customer service you received from our front desk associate Laura. She is wonderful at providing our guests with great suggestions for things to do around town or finding the perfect room for you. She is a valued member of our team and I will pass along your kind words to her. I know she will be elated to hear that she had such a huge impact on your stay. We hope to see you again soon!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I really loved the pool at this hotel. It was so cold out side and swimming in the out door heated pool was so relaxing with the mist coming off the pool it was great. the room was great. I myself didn't like the bed. It was temper pedic ,which I don't like, but my sister loved it.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
So glad you enjoyed the heated outdoor pool after a long day of shopping. We have a few rooms with Temper-pedic mattresses and the rest of the rooms all have Serta mattresses. Next time you stay with us, please request one without a Temper-pedic. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, we hope to see you again soon!
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We expected more from this hotel being that it's a Best Western. Our room was large and neat, but had a terrible odor from cigarette smoke. Additionally, our room was located in the "older" section of the hotel... we could tell that by the way the hallways intersected leading to the adjacent restaurant. The breakfasts were nice with a good selection and the hotel staff very polite and friendly. Additionally, the lobby serves cookies and hot coffee throughout the day which is an added plus.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Our hotel is 100% smoke-free. I apologize if there was an odor of cigarette smoke. I am glad you found the hotel to be clean and the staff polite. We work hard at providing great customer service to all our guests. We are an older hotel but we are continuously making improvements to the property. We will be adding a new pitched roof, new granite counter tops in all our guestrooms, and repaving the parking lot in the coming months. We are very excited about the enhancements we will be making and invite you back to check them out!
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Twice each winter we drive from Providence R.I. to South Portland Maine to enjoy the indoor-outdoor heated pool, hot tub, and terrific service, including free breakfasts next door, to the Merry Manor. For eight years, the staff has been consistently warm, efficient, helpful. Extra room equipment, change of room to get best available pool view, late night cookies and early morning paper and coffee in the spacious great room in front of the check-in. They even scoured the Inn to find my missing piece of jewelry, and checked to find a favorite sweater I mistakenly left. This past week, Chelsea, Brian, Cathy, Laura, Jack, Anthony: the staff there; warm and friendly. Can't believe the feeling of being cared for. Can't believe the great price.

Room Tip: Ask for equipment in room, view of pool or of Maine woods.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Daniel for your continued business. We love that you come twice a year to enjoy all the amenities the hotel has to offer. Your review is an excellent example of the great customer service that our staff provides to all our guests. We go above and beyond to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. It is always a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to your return visit!
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed December 6, 2013

quiet space to unwind after a long day of sitting in a hospital. restaurant food for dinner was very good , our server was very knowledgeable and attentive. wished I had time to check out/ and or use the pool and spa area. it was great to be able to get a cup coffee in the lobby on my way to my room.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am happy that we could provide you with a quiet, restful place to stay after sitting in a hospital all day. We hope that everything is okay with you and loved one. We hope that you will come back to enjoy the pool and hot tub during your next visit.
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel was perfect for my stay in S Portland. The room was clean, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the included breakfast buffet was incredible, better than any hotel breakfast I've ever seen! They had a huge variety of breakfast foods, hot and cold, and it was all delicious. I was pleasantly surprised by the refrigerator and microwave in the room, and the tv was huge! It all made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable. This hotel is pet-friendly and that was a huge plus because my dog travels with me, and my dog had a comfortable stay as well. They have grass area to take pets to and rooms with easy access to those grass areas. This hotel is also close to anything you need, including a big mall less than a few minutes away. We were able to find any store or restaurant we needed within 5 minutes of this hotel. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. For the price, you just can't beat it. Best hotel I've stayed at in a long time, mainly due to the friendliness of the staff and how willing they are to meet your needs. If I return to Portland I will be staying here again for sure!

Room Tip: This hotel has some exterior entrance doors around the back on the bottom level (like a motel) and t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for the glowing review! We are delighted that your needs were met and that you and your dog had a comfortable stay. We hope you will visit us again when visiting the Portland area. As you said, we are close to everything!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
The Westin Portland Harborview
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!