“Nice Stay”

Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We we were here for our son's wedding for 5 days. The service was great and the rooms clean. They were just dark and old. From the pictures I would have expected a nicer accommodations. The rooms are pretty small but all in all it was a nice stay. I have been in really BAD places and this was NOT bad...just not what I expected. Would we go back....probably so..because for the money it is good.

Room Tip: They do have a full restaurant on site which is very nice! We used it once but due to the wedding a...
1  Thank Deb J
Gayle C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you for staying with recently at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We truly appreciate you choosing us for overnight accomodations during your son's wedding. On behalf of the entire staff we would like to extend our Congratulations and Best Wishes to the new bride and groom. It is true we are an older hotel, but we do continuously upgrade and renovate our rooms and public spaces. Our management team is currently working on major renovation plans for our restaurant. The work is about to begin very soon. We are all excited about the new design. We take pride in our hotel, and the great customer service we extend to our guests. Thanks once again for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We hope you visit us again soon. The Southern Maine area is a great spot for family vacations and cozy couple getaways for all seasons.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We came upon this place by accident but the price was right so we booked a room.
The rooms were a littl outdated but the king bed was comfy with lots of pillows.
There was a massage chair in our room which we got a kick out of.
The shower was hot with a lot of pressure and there was coffee for the morning.
The restaurant is under renovations but still open so we ate there and there was a ton of food for the price. I didn't have the nachos but the people next to us ordered them and it was a heaping plate for $7.
We had a back room that faced into an empty parking lot so it was quiet.
No complaits at all. The staff was friendly and helpful and offered free cookies and punch on arrival.
Most definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank T J
Gayle C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn recently. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Many of our rooms with King beds have massage chairs. They are relaxing after a busy day of work or sightseeing. The next time you visit us in South Portland please try one of our mini suites for just $30.00 more. We have a Honeymoon Suite that has a hot tub in the room, massage chair, refrigerator, microwave, and fireplace. We also have the Relaxation Suite with a King sized bed, massage chair, microwave, refrigerator, fireplace, and a relaxing water fountain on the wall. We have two other mini suites that each have two queen sized beds, massage chair and a fireplace. If a special night is what you are looking for, we have two themed suites on our top floor. They are more expensive, but well worth the price. One is decorated as an upscale Maine Lake Lodge with many fun and surprising extras. It has the massage chair, large flat screen tv, hot tub, and an antler chandelier. When was the last time you saw one of those? The other suite is the Captain's Suite. This suite is tastefully decorated to remind us of the old sea captains of long ago, bringing back treasures from far away ports. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very disappointed with this hotel. We were here over ten years ago and unfortunately it seems that nothing at all has been updated on our most recent visit this August. The rooms are horribly in need of new drapery new countertops and new carpeting. There was a terrible smell in all of the corridors.
the restaurant attached that used to be called governors is now owned by the hotel and is extremely run down looking. We went one morning for their free breakfast which was basically inedible. Fake eggs (powdered maybe) and some sour smelling bacon and sausage and tasteless overprocessed home fries (frozen). Disgusting. We chose to pay for our breakfast somewhere elee instead of returning there after the first time since it seems to be the same buffet served every day. Cant imagine anyone paying for this food so its a small wonder that it is given away for free.besides the terrible food this place seems to be a magnet for men completely covered with tattoos whotend to bring at least eight children with them. We were practically driven insane by two couples with about ten children who took over the pool area from sun up to sunset every day that we were here.the children yelled screamed and ran amok splashing everyone in their vicinity with pool water. It was impossible to relax and read any of the books that we had brought with us. Of course there was no pool attendent anywhere in sight that might have discouraged this. The workers there all seemed unhappy and downtrodden. The mostly Islamic maid staff never looked anyone in the eye and were covered from head to toe in their traditional attire. Sorry but we found this a bit creepy. All in all Portland was a nice place to visit but stay away from here until they do the badly needed remodeling. The only positive was that the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Gayle C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. I am sorry your stay was disappointing. We strive to make each guest who walks through our doors feel welcome and hope everyone will have a great experience with us. With our unique year round outdoor heated pool, we are especially family friendly. In the summer months, we attract young families that want their children to experience FunTown SplashTown USA, Aquaboggin, Palace Playland and our many fine beaches. We are just 15 minutes away from family fun and memories the children will have for a lifetime. In the winter months, families enjoy our outdoor pool and local shopping as a short getaway from the winter blahs. We have been consulting with a designer for major renovations in our restaurant. We hope to begin the actual work in the fall. It will be exciting to see the finished results. I do want to assure you that we use fresh eggs and produce in our breakfast. It is strange that you received spoiled meat. The volume of breakfast food the restaurant serves ensures a fast turnover. We have never received that complaint before, but I will pass it along to the restaurant manager. As a 17 year employee of Lafayette Hotels, I can assure you we are all valued and respected as individuals by the owners and management staff. We respect each other as well. Thanks again for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for the second year in a row. I've been using Aeroplan points to book this hotel. Great location near Portland and the Maine Mall is just around the corner. The pool is heated and located outdoors.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We always love to see repeat guests. Thank you for choosing us in the Portland, Maine area for the second year in a row. As you mentioned, we are just a 5 minute drive to the Maine Mall and about 10 minutes to the Old Port. There are great restaurants and indepently owned shops that are unique to the Portland area. A couple of the Portland restaurants have been highlighted on the Food Channel and there are even "Foodie Tours" for those adventurous soles who want to sample the best food Portland has to offer. We are conveniently located off of Exit 2 of 295 or Exit 45 of 95. With a 20 minute drive north on 295, you will find Freeport, Maine - the home of LL Bean. Cabella's also has a store near here. Fall will soon be here. What better place to buy warm, comfortable clothing then right here in Southern Maine. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope you will choose us for a third year in a row.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed there with our two dogs in early August 2012. I travel a lot and, while this was not the most elegant hotel I've ever stayed in - in fact it's a bit shabby, it was clean (of course I checked for bedbugs, I do that compulsively regardless of how nice the hotel is anymore, and there were none). The staff was incredibly nice and a very nice breakfast, much nicer than those set out by some big chains, was included - in their restaurant. This hotel is part of a group owned by Lafayette Hotels and we stayed in another one on the trip and had a similar good experience. For the money we paid, we were very satisfied. If you are looking for elegant, it's not for you. If you are looking for clean, nice, and pet-friendly, you are in luck!

4  Thank Terry G

Thank you for staying with us recently at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We truly appreciate your patronage. I also want to thank you for taking a few minutes to let other Trip Advisor users about our hotel. As you mentioned, we are pet friendly. We do charge a $10 fee per pet per night and ask our guests not to leave their dogs unattended in the rooms. We have noticed that some dogs get upset when their human Moms and Dads leave them alone in strange surroundings. All of our associate strive to make each guest's stay enjoyable and stress free. Every year we renovate at least one portion of our hotel, and this year will be the same. We are also consulting with a designer to renovate our restaurant. At the moment, the restaurant is open for breakfast from 6:30AM until 11AM. Guests who pay the qualifying rate receive complimentary breakfast vouchers for each member of their party. This entitles the guest to choose from 4 made to order breakfasts. The restaurant is also open for light dinner fare from 5PM until 9PM, with a great selection of burgers, salads, sandwiches and fries. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you on your next trip to the Portland area.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here mostly because it was inexpensive and convenient. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was average -- about what we expected, but the free breakfast was excellent. Many, many options and all good. Both adults and kids left full and happy. The pool was nice too. Maintained well and shared with many other guests who also were quite happy. This was a nice place at a great price and we highly recommend.

Room Tip: Good family spot, the kids enjoyed the pool
4  Thank MidwestSailor83

We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. Our year round outdoor heated pool is unique to the Portland area. I only know of one other year round outdoor pool in the area, and that is at one of the ski resorts in Bethel. Imagine swimming under the stars in January in Maine. Our complimentary breakfast is available with qualifying rates. The restaurant serves breakfast from 6:30AM until 11AM. With the vouchers, a guests can choose from four made to order selections that includes pancakes, eggs, bacon, homefries and seasona fruit. The restaurant is also open for a light dinner from 5PM until 9PM. We are currently consulting with a designer to begin the restaurant's renovations. After the renovations are completed, we plan to expand the hours and the menus. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our first night the toilet overflowed twice and manager did not send up any maintenance people. The next night we had a different room, same problem. This time they did fix it but then the tub clogged up. The A/C unit acted up and switched from cooling to heating, we switched room again! The toilet wouldn't flush and room carpet had what looked like dog hair on the carpet. We complained to the manager the next morning to which she replied "Yes, I understand toilets and showers can be confusing to use"...ummm...basically calling us stupid and said if she had been on duty those things wouldn't have happened. Well she should have a staff well equipped at handling emergencies when she isn't around. I'd never stay here again, I'll spend my money elsewhere. If you can find somewhere else to stay do it!

1  Thank JMH0310
BWmgr, General Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear JMH0310,

I first must apologize for the miscommunication that my questions and concerns caused you during our conversation. I am so sorry you felt that I was insinuating anything based on my response. My intention was soley to determine the details surrounding your experience in order to get a better understanding of what had occurred during your stay with us. Unfortunately I was unaware of any issues throughout your visit until you brought it to my attention at check-out which I sincerely appreciate. I will be using your experience as a training tool to better improve the communication within our departments. I'm sorry you felt as though my comment regarding our tubs came across as, "I understand toilets and showers can be confusing to use" as you quoted, but reflecting back on our conversation I can understand how this was interpreted. Please allow me to clarify. Once you explained the situation regarding the tub failing to drain, my first thought was the confusion that some of our specific tubs cause some of our guests. A very few number of our rooms have tubs with a knob that needs to be pulled at the base of the tub in order for the water to drain. This is not a typical style for most tubs, and therefore we have received comments from some of our guests that it causes confusion. Again, I apologize if my response to your initial complaint was not made clear. I understand I am unable to reverse the mistakes we made throughout your visit, but I hope the complete refund we issued will ease some of your frustration. I appreciate your feedback and if I can do anything further to retain your business for the future, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at 207-774-6151.

Jessica Mooney

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland
2 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!