“Good experience”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Good experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed there with our two dogs in early August 2012. I travel a lot and, while this was not the most elegant hotel I've ever stayed in - in fact it's a bit shabby, it was clean (of course I checked for bedbugs, I do that compulsively regardless of how nice the hotel is anymore, and there were none). The staff was incredibly nice and a very nice breakfast, much nicer than those set out by some big chains, was included - in their restaurant. This hotel is part of a group owned by Lafayette Hotels and we stayed in another one on the trip and had a similar good experience. For the money we paid, we were very satisfied. If you are looking for elegant, it's not for you. If you are looking for clean, nice, and pet-friendly, you are in luck!

4 Thank Terry G
Gayle C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We truly appreciate your patronage. I also want to thank you for taking a few minutes to let other Trip Advisor users about our hotel. As you mentioned, we are pet friendly. We do charge a $10 fee per pet per night and ask our guests not to leave their dogs unattended in the rooms. We have noticed that some dogs get upset when their human Moms and Dads leave them alone in strange surroundings. All of our associate strive to make each guest's stay enjoyable and stress free. Every year we renovate at least one portion of our hotel, and this year will be the same. We are also consulting with a designer to renovate our restaurant. At the moment, the restaurant is open for breakfast from 6:30AM until 11AM. Guests who pay the qualifying rate receive complimentary breakfast vouchers for each member of their party. This entitles the guest to choose from 4 made to order breakfasts. The restaurant is also open for light dinner fare from 5PM until 9PM, with a great selection of burgers, salads, sandwiches and fries. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you on your next trip to the Portland area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here mostly because it was inexpensive and convenient. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was average -- about what we expected, but the free breakfast was excellent. Many, many options and all good. Both adults and kids left full and happy. The pool was nice too. Maintained well and shared with many other guests who also were quite happy. This was a nice place at a great price and we highly recommend.

Room Tip: Good family spot, the kids enjoyed the pool
4 Thank MidwestSailor83
We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. Our year round outdoor heated pool is unique to the Portland area. I only know of one other year round outdoor pool in the area, and that is at one of the ski resorts in Bethel. Imagine swimming under the stars in January in Maine. Our complimentary breakfast is available with qualifying rates. The restaurant serves breakfast from 6:30AM until 11AM. With the vouchers, a guests can choose from four made to order selections that includes pancakes, eggs, bacon, homefries and seasona fruit. The restaurant is also open for a light dinner from 5PM until 9PM. We are currently consulting with a designer to begin the restaurant's renovations. After the renovations are completed, we plan to expand the hours and the menus. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Houlton, Maine
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our first night the toilet overflowed twice and manager did not send up any maintenance people. The next night we had a different room, same problem. This time they did fix it but then the tub clogged up. The A/C unit acted up and switched from cooling to heating, we switched room again! The toilet wouldn't flush and room carpet had what looked like dog hair on the carpet. We complained to the manager the next morning to which she replied "Yes, I understand toilets and showers can be confusing to use"...ummm...basically calling us stupid and said if she had been on duty those things wouldn't have happened. Well she should have a staff well equipped at handling emergencies when she isn't around. I'd never stay here again, I'll spend my money elsewhere. If you can find somewhere else to stay do it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BWmgr, General Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear JMH0310,

I first must apologize for the miscommunication that my questions and concerns caused you during our conversation. I am so sorry you felt that I was insinuating anything based on my response. My intention was soley to determine the details surrounding your experience in order to get a better understanding of what had occurred during your stay with us. Unfortunately I was unaware of any issues throughout your visit until you brought it to my attention at check-out which I sincerely appreciate. I will be using your experience as a training tool to better improve the communication within our departments. I'm sorry you felt as though my comment regarding our tubs came across as, "I understand toilets and showers can be confusing to use" as you quoted, but reflecting back on our conversation I can understand how this was interpreted. Please allow me to clarify. Once you explained the situation regarding the tub failing to drain, my first thought was the confusion that some of our specific tubs cause some of our guests. A very few number of our rooms have tubs with a knob that needs to be pulled at the base of the tub in order for the water to drain. This is not a typical style for most tubs, and therefore we have received comments from some of our guests that it causes confusion. Again, I apologize if my response to your initial complaint was not made clear. I understand I am unable to reverse the mistakes we made throughout your visit, but I hope the complete refund we issued will ease some of your frustration. I appreciate your feedback and if I can do anything further to retain your business for the future, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at 207-774-6151.

Jessica Mooney
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,660 helpful votes
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel was centrally located. The rooms were very clean and in a good state of repair. The beds were amazing a great night’s comfortable sleep was had. The a/c worked great and was quite which is a big plus for me .the beds were very comfortable. The grounds were very well kept with beautiful gardens. With plenty of colourful flowers the staff were very friendly and accommodating and helpful during our stay. On check in we received a welcome pack containing a voucher for your breakfast, bottled water and biscuits (a very nice gesture); the TV was a 32 inch nice flat screen with plenty of good channel to view. The mirror behind the TV needs to be repositioned to another wall as the large TV hides most of the mirror, but this is the only tiny tiny fault that we could find so apart from that the Merry Manor inn is the perfect retreat while you are on your journeys
I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay...
We checked in after spending the week at Old Orchard Beach because it was close to the airport to return home to the UK (just a pity we did not stay longer ), We found the hotel easy to get to and the staff very welcoming when we arrived. The room we had was very neat and clean and the beds were comfortable lots of very clean towels soaps and shampoo. We made use of the outside pool which was very clean and a very good size long and quite deep they also had two hot tub indoors with disabled lifting equipment if required and had nice clean blue water. There is an inside toilet / shower room to use if you need to check out but need a little bit more time in the pool before you go upon your travels, We did however had to ask where the pool towels were (we kept walking past them as they put away tidy in a very nice old wooden cabinet, there was a sign on it but took no notice as it looked a piece of good furniture to store pool towels) (my own fault)
The hotel had a quite area to sit and read as well as the lobby area, the hotel lobby computer was great as it had a good size monitor and the internet connection was very good and very fast, it also was situated on a nice piece of furniture. The hotel was well decorated and well presented by its staff.
Plenty of local eating places to eat in from road side diners to nice restaurants in the area, we chose to go to Portland for the evening by taxi arranged by the front desk, which is about ten mile away and cost us $16 each way. Plenty to do their, bands playing in the old cobbled streets pubs restaurants abundant, fishing piers ferry’s whale watching tours etc.
Fresh coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby with fresh hot cookies about four o’clock. Very nice as well
Our breakfast was a nice surprise, the hotel has a restaurant built on the end of the hotel and this is where you have you complimentary breakfast, we were expecting the normal Best Western buffet but not at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, you got the works ……; dishes full of hot bacon, sausage scrambled egg, Texas toast pancakes as well as cereals toast home made fresh bread act. Just help yourself to how much you want. Fill your boots as it was lovely, still a self-service buffet but with servers to take care of you. A $1.50 tip is requested on the voucher which is well worth it.
A great hotel well worth the Best Western name with very high standards but at a reasonable price

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
28 Thank SUSAN H
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. Your words are very kind. I hope you had a great time visiting the United States and, of course, the great state of Maine. All of us here strive to give each guest a great experience, and I am so glad you had that great experience. You have already told the Trip Advisor users all of the amenities we offer, but I would like to add that our soaps, shampoos and conditioners are Bath and BodyWorks products, not your typical hotel brand. We also offer free wi-fi throughout the building. The Portland area is quite an exciting spot, but perhaps the next time you come to Maine, may I suggest there is a great deal of Maine left to explore north of us. The Bar Harbor area is breathtaking with Cadillac Mountain and its panoramic views of Frenchman's bay and its many small fishing towns. The Blue Nose Inn is an amazing place to stay in that area. Just be sure to include a night with us in Portland on your visit Thanks again for staying with us.
Guildford,UK
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Although the decor of our room looked a bit dated, it was very well equipped with quiet air-conditioning, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, free wi-fi, and large flat-screen TV. The one thing that let it down in my opinion was the plastic mattress protector, which spoiled what would have been a very comfortable bed, rustling as you moved in the bed and throwing heat back at you. Should be reserved for hospitals. The outdoor pool was nice, and a pleasant temperature, although I didn't find the indoor hot tubs very appealing. Also the restaurant definitely needs updating - rather a depressing room to sit in. Quick and easy to drive into Portland from the hotel to look round the old port area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tog
Thank you for taking a few minutes to write about your experience at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We know that the Portland area has many choices in overnight lodging, and we truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us. As you mentioned we do have coffee makers, ironing boards and wi-fi in each room. Most of our rooms have microwaves and refrigerators in them already, and others are available on request. We also have freshly brewed coffee in our lobby 24 hours a day, and serve fresh cookies every afternoon after 4PM. I am embarrassed to admit this but, we do not have plastic sheets on the bed. One of our housekeepers made a mistake and put the mattress protector on the bed wrong side out. I am so sorry. She has been told of her mistake. You are correct. Our restaurant does need updating. In fact, we are working with a designer and soon she will present us with her plans. Renovations will begin this fall. It will be exciting to see the final results. We are also planning on expanding the restaurant hours and its menus. Thank you again for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn.
halifax
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel was centrally located.the rooms were very clean and in a good state of repair. the beds were amazing.The a/c worked great which is a big plus for me because I love a cool room for sleeping.The pool and spa were very comfortable. the grounds were very well kept with beautiful gardens.The staff were very friendly and accomidating.I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 224 and 226 which overlooked a beautiful garden and were very private
2 Thank Ron S
Thank you very much for your kind words about the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. Each and every associate strives to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay. We hear quite often how comfortable our beds are. We even have a few rooms with temperpedic King size mattresses. 32 inch flat screen tv's will soon be in all of our rooms. I am glad you mentioned how nice you thought our gardens are. The associate in charge of them works diligently in the planning and maintaining of them. It is nice to hear kudos for him. Don't forget a complimentary full sit down breakfast is included in qualifying rates. Our outdoor heated pool is unique to the area. It is the only one open year round. You must come back in the fall or winter and swim under the clear stars in the brisk New England air. You can even swim outside with the snow gently falling. A trip around Christmas time would be perfect. A Victorian Christmas is celebrated each year in downtown Portland with carollers and horse drawn wagon rides - free of charge. The fall months have Pumpkinfests and Apple festivals. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope you will return on your next visit to Maine.
Presque Isle, Maine
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had stayed at the Merry Manor several years ago and were pleased with the accommodations. The hotel has not any updating since our last stay. It has good bones but is in desperate need for an update. The carpet in our room was very worn and didn't look clean and the paint in the spa/pool area was peeling off the walls. The breakfast buffet in the attached restaurant was adequate. Our room was on the same side as the pool, which was very noisy. The pool closes at 10 and this was enforced but we go to bed before then. If you want to get to sleep before 10, especially on the weekend, ask for a room away from the pool. The hotel and restaurant staff were very pleasant and the complimentary newspapers were nice but not enough to make us rush back to this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lori S
Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. We appreciate each and every guest who chooses to stay with us in the Portland area. We consistently do update a portion of our hotel every year. Last year, we put in new ceiling tiles and carpeting in most of our hallways. This year we are looking forward to a major renovation of our restaurant, and there have been discussions of renovating our lobby in the future. Breakfast in included with qualifying rates. Our breakfast vouchers entitle each occupant in a room to a hot sit down breakfast. The guest can choose from 4 selections that include everything from blueberry pancakes, egss, bacon, sausage and seasonal fruit. Don't forget we are conveniently located off of Exit 2 of 295 or Exit 45 off of 95. We are just a few minutes away for the Maine Mall, the Old Port with its many independently restaurants and fine shops. Thank you once again for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland
Fireside Inn & Suites Portland

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!