“Excellent value and comfortable”

Howard Johnson Hotel South Portland
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Lahaina, Hawaii
“Excellent value and comfortable”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We (and others) had just checked out of the nearby Super Eight because it was dirty, unkept, and there was no heat in the rooms. The Howard Johnson's is only about a block away, but a world away in quality. It was very quiet, our room was well appointed, and we slept very well. There is a nice lounge on the mezzanine with big comfortable leather couches, and the "styrofoam breakfast" was ample. We paid $69.99 on a Friday night, with a coupon from a promotional book (for walk-ins only). It's a short drive to downtown Portland from here. I would recommend it as a real value in the high priced Maine market.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TRB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Not recommended! Receptionist sullen and sour, and it was hard to communicate with him. Non-smoking room reeked of cigarettes so the beds. At 2300 and then at 0500, appeared very loud noise of the shower, the noise woke the kids, hotel officials were unable to explain this noise. To sum up smelly and noisy hotel reception frowns depositor. You do not want to get close.

• Stayed September 2011

Travelers are raving about these South Portland hotels

Palmetto
Reviewed September 29, 2011

After dropping off our rental car, the HJ van was quick with a pick up and getting us to the hotel. Check in went quickly and we found ourselves on a smoking floor. Back to the desk to a clerk who was quick to change the room. The room was a basic hotel room with very comfortable beds. There was a 5am wake up call and a very friendly driver met us in the lobby for a return trip to the airport. The evening before two different employees were helpful with suggestions for eating. We used a delivery service as there are few restaurants within walking distance. There is a continental breakfast but we left too early. There is a fee for parking a car in the parking lot overnight.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor and it was fresh and clean. Our first room in the smoking section on...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My first mistake was not to check the room before I lugged my baggage up to the second floor. I had booked a non-smoking room - the corridors reeked of cigarette smoke - the room did have windows that opened - which I did. The next morning I went to make coffee only to find the remnants of the previous guest(s) coffee still in the pot and the grounds not removed either - pretty ugh moment. Breakfast consisted only of carbs, no yoghurts, no eggs, little to no fruit (actually a few apples). Later that day I went to make myself a cup of coffee only to find that my coffee cup had not been washed and was still on the bedsite cabinet. The hallways, for the whole 4 days that I stayed, were never vacuumed - however they did let me know that they had a vacuum cleaner by leaving it in the hallway for the day. On the positive side it is easy to find and great access to I95 and I295

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you take your luggage up
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to wedding we were to attend. I have to agree with the previous review that this hotel has terrible housekeeping. We also found out it has recently changed ownership so I would nix any older reviews here. Same things happened to us....housekeeping did not replenish toiletries and never cleaned out our coffeemaker. One day the towels given to us smelled mildewy! We stayed there for four nights and we were out a lot with family. One evening after a pleasant dinner with family we got to our room around 11 p.m. and our ROOM HAD NOT BEEN CLEANED AT ALL....BEDS UNMADE, DIRTY TOWELS ON FLOOR, NO TOILETRIES. You would think that you treat a customer who is staying numerous nights there with courtesy yet, when I went downstairs, I actually spoke with the owner himself and he tried to convince me that I had left the "do not disturb sign" on our door. I assured him I did not, yet he kept trying to make
me wrond and took zero responsibility for the bad service. I asked him to send someone to semi-clean and replenish our towels. A young, sweet man showed up and did the job housekeeping should have.

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AT ALL. YOU WILL END UP FRUSTRATED AND WASTING YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We checked in and they confirmed it was a non-smoking room. Well it wasn't. Stains on the floor and reeking of smoke. When we got back to the lobby we realized it smelled like an ashtray too. Their non-smoking rooms were booked (we booked through Expedia who somehow screwed our reservation up to say smoking) and kindly offered to let us use the computer to look for another hotel. Thanks for nothing. We had to drive an hour away late at night to a different hotel. Thanks for not being helpful and running a disgusting hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The people at the front desk are very professional, helpful and courteous. The issue I have with the hotel is its housekeeping services. Apparently there is no supervision or management of the staff who are suppose to be efficiently cleaning rooms. For several days my coffee pot in the room was not cleaned which I could have tolerated IF they replaced coffee, sugar and creamer. Also, towels were taken on two occasions and NOT replaced at all. How can you miss those? Also, other toilet items were not replaced when it was obvious to anyone noticing that supplies were near empty.

I would not recommend this hotel. Across the street and nearby are other lodging choices. If the hotel continues down this path of poor cleaning services the people at the front desk won't have a job at this location. No one will be staying there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Cleaning services are awful throughout the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#7 of 13 in South Portland
Fireside Inn & Suites Portland

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel South Portland? Share your experiences!