“Served all courses together!!!”
Review of Newick's Lobster House - CLOSED

Newick's Lobster House
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Newick's recently reopened in South Portland in a new location (formerly TGIFriday's)--near the Maine Mall. Everyone in Maine is happy to have this establishment back! Isay, It is in South Portland, Maine, in the location where TGIFriday's was for several years--740 Broadway. I have been to the "new" Newick's twice and would like to review it. Thank you.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We wanted to try some of the famous lobster and chose this place. It was very odd service as it took a very long time for our chowder to arrive and almost immediately the server came out with our main courses and just plonked them down and walked off. The chowder was good and my lobster roll was good. My partner ordered a lobster pie which was not at all good, far too greasy and just ruined a perfectly good lobster. The prices were a bit steep considering, not sure i would bother to go back to this place again.

1  Thank xelhah

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We came before 5 pm to have a light dinner and to take advantage of the $1.00 per raw oyster Wednesday Special. We sat in the bar area and Sammy the Bartender/Waiter was terrific. We asked for two drinks, a dozen oysters and a bowl of their thick clam chowder to begin. We also asked for the small portion of swordfish (with fries and cole slaw) and an order of steamed mussels to follow.

The oysters were fresh, juicy and sweet. The clam chowder was thick and delicious. We asked for two spoons and Sammy graciously accommodated. To our surprise they brought us extra oysters on the house so we had more than a dozen. They apparently saw how much we enjoyed the local oysters.

My wife had the steamed mussels and I had the grilled swordfish. Both were delicious.

The total bill for all of this? $57.10 including tip. We will be back on our next trip to South Portland.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Not bad....but far less than it should be. In fact, for a local seafood place, I didn't find anything here that distinguishes Newick's from any other local or big chain seafood restaurant. Lets put it this way, I was disappointed. I have eaten at many a seafood restaurant around the world and this does not hold a candle to even the average seafood restaurants I've eaten at in Maine, New England, anywhere on the East or West Coast of the US. It is sad actually, the Newick's name is a few generations old and maintains additional restaurants in New Hampshire. Ok, the building is beautiful and just a few years old, but the place is dirty. The baked potato was embarrassingly overcooked and small....in fact it was awful. The seafood tasted like it had been cooked in either burned grease or perhaps old grease. Oh well, I am more disappointed for the owners than for myself. Operating a restaurant is tough to do and not every guest can be pleased appropriately. I am relatively easy to please, but not here.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been to this place several times and was always happy with my meal. Ofcourse, we used to get the fried stuff (back when I could eat it) and lately the lobster.
On this visit I got haddock and stuffed shrimp. I am not sure what that shrimp was supposed to be stuffed with...but it tasted like fried breadcrumbs. Haddock was nothing outstanding either,
I guess that if you get the lobster and fried dishes that they are famous for then you're okay.

One thing that I have noticed is that they never have is the onion nuggets. My husband and I got them once, about 10 years ago. Since then I have been there about 6 more times and they never have them. Come on... it's on the menu...you need to see that you have them. Can't blame it on the time of day either. We were there early every time.

Unless you want lobster or a bunch of fried stuff.... forget this place.

OH... and this time that I ate there I was seated in the bar area. There were two children eating in there who were under the age of 12. I thought that was against the law.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place should be named nitwits...if you are on your way turn around and find some place else. The food was terrible and the service even worse. We waited 55 minutes for our order and expected it to be correct considering we waited so long. Our server Bethanny was overwhelmed with tables and all she could do was apologize we felt sorry for her we grew tired just watching her run around trying to please everyone. The manager Ray is completely clueless a complete mutant and is in need of management training I would hate to have to work under his poor supervision. We approached him about our wait time and order and his response was "well what do u want me to do" Really Ray??? Is that the best you have? How about I apologize for the delay and/or making a nice gesture to ease our discomfort...thank goodness I was not corporate rating you on your management skills because you would have automatically failed. The food was terrible we ordered the original clam chowder that came right out of a can, the lobster was served cold with cold butter and try getting a refill. Definitely NOT the type of place I would recommend to anyone for good food or service its a shame we winded up eating here because to say the least it was not at all enjoyable...