“Disappointed, was expecting more.....”
Review of Newick's Lobster House - CLOSED

Newick's Lobster House
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Newick's recently reopened in South Portland in a new location (formerly TGIFriday's)--near the Maine Mall. Everyone in Maine is happy to have this establishment back! Isay, It is in South Portland, Maine, in the location where TGIFriday's was for several years--740 Broadway. I have been to the "new" Newick's twice and would like to review it. Thank you.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had a hankering for fried seafood, we hadn't had any in a long while so we decided to try Newick's because we remembered the food being good at the old location when we went there about 20+ years ago.

We thought the seafood was good (we had the calamari, baby shrimp, whole clams and coconut shrimp), but fries were very bland and nothing special. My husband had a Mai Tai that he said was pretty good and I had coffee that was delicious.

We had a nice, friendly (young) server but since the place was dead she spent the whole time we were eating our meal sweeping the floor under all the empty tables around us, that's a major no no in our book.

The decor gets a big goose egg, too many empty walls and the only thing to look at is the parking lot outside the windows. I mean, come on you're a seafood restaurant in Maine, how about some pictures of great coastal scenery or boats or something, anything! I would suggest offering up wall space to local artists like I've seen in other restaurants.

There are lots of great restaurants in the Portland area and considering how empty the place was at 7:30 on a Friday evening in July, it looks like Newick's has some work to do to get in the competition.

Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Sat. Night very few people in the restaurant - we ordered various dishes and nothing was outstanding! My husband is from Maine and perhaps he has lovely memories associated with this restaurant - I see it as a poor imitation of an old fashioned seafood joint that sells high end spices on the side. I wish we could go back to simpler times, but we can't. This establishment appears to be out of their depths and perhaps it is impossible to run a seafood place and make money while maintaning quality and being 1950's casual.

1  Thank ShelleyinBoston
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We went for lunch at Newick's Lobster House - I was so excited to try out the new location (I had only eaten at the old Cap'n Newick's). What a let down. Very disappointing. I had a lobster roll and first of all it did not even taste fresh (and it smelled fishy - bad sign) so that was enough of a disappointment....but also the roll - what was supposed to be a simple hot dog roll was cold (not grilled like they said it would be) and it had too much bread (it was not a standard hot dog roll - more like a sub roll).
There were 3 of us in our group and no one was impressed. We won't be going back.
Oh - the service was nothing special either - but that would have been fine if the food was the same as the old Cap'n Newicks.

2  Thank snow_beach
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Seafood shepherds pie and 10 crab cake appetizer tasted very fresh, and were perfect choices for lunch for two. We're glad we took a chance in spite of other mixed reviews.

1  Thank Oobydooby
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Three lobsters for $30. They were cooked just right and were delish! Sam our server was friendly and made sure everything was perfect. We will definitely be back next time we are in Portland!!!

1  Thank Erin D