“Worth the Search”

Saltwater Grille
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located on the waterfront, overlooking the harbor and the Portland skyline next to a marina.Serving lunch & dinner, seafood is the specialty, but other menu items are offered. Great nautical atmosphere, with water views. Outside seating in warm weather, and a function rooms upstairs for private parties. High quality.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

They are a bit out of the way, but worth the trip. They are easy to find following their directions and our GPS got us there fine. If you can't find it you probably should not be allowed out unsupervised. We ordered the smoked shrimp egg rolls for the appetizer, it was really good, contrary to another review posted on this site. My wife had the grilled salmon and I had the fried haddock ,both were excellent.

The bartender is interesting, a bit abrupt but in a way that will grow on you. Our waiter had a thick English accent and being a bit hard of hearing I can honestly say I did not understand a word he said all night. My wife did fine and was able to translate for me.

We were told this was a good choice and were not disappointed.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We brought our relatives here on 7/5/13 and our food was served within 20 minutes and was delicious. The portions were perfect and everyone ate everything on their plate. We ate on the deck which was set in a marina with great views of the Portland waterfront. My husband is not easily pleased, and can always find at least one fault with anywhere we go and he left with a smile on his face.....

SWG_SoPo, Manager at Saltwater Grille, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you Horsta- I am so happy you were able to enjoy the beautiful view and do hope you'll visit us again.
Smiling too!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Planned to sit outside on deck,but was drissling out,so I was seated inside by window. Food is awesome,service is exceptional Definitely order the're version of the Bloody Mary!

SWG_SoPo, Manager at Saltwater Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you so much. I will share your comment with our Bartender, he developed that Bloody. I look forward to another visit on a sunny day so you may enjoy the deck.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

As part of a group of five, we had dinner on Saturday, June 22nd. Two of us ordered the shrimmp and pork "kabobs". Over cooked and dried out. Didn't complain at the time as part of a group.

Disappointing meal though the service was adaquate and view nice.

Won't rush back by any means.

Dear Thomas,
My most sincere apologies for your over cooked meals on Saturday. I so wish you had spoken up. It is hard for me to understand how keeping quiet ‘as part of a group’ benefited anyone. You left disappointed (and hungry). We would have gladly made you a new or alternate item – no one is more embarrassed than we are that this happened.
I have taken this to the Chef to share with his staff. We are re-thinking this item on the menu to see where it is failing and will have a solution or a replacement.
Would love the opportunity to make this up to you in some way.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We live in Portland and have been here many times because it really is the best view of Portland. Our food tonight was inedible. I sent it back once as the scallops were not cooked as I had asked. I waited 20 minutes for it to come back and it was still gross. Told the waitress the lobster risotto was inedible and she offered us a free desert or a free beer. We chose the free beer and she still charged us for it. We walked out of the place with a $110 bill and completely hungry and not fulfilled. I must more that the calamari is the best around. It did not let us down this time either. Sadly, we won't be back. Too many yummy places on Portland to drop $100 on a view and calamari.

SWG_SoPo, Manager at Saltwater Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

First let me apologize for the unsatisfactory meal you had here on Friday night. The server explained to me how we were not able to produce your requested for, well-done scallops to your liking. She offered the dessert as a way of making some conciliation for this – though she should have involved a manager from the beginning. As to the free beer- again we apologize for the confusion – it is illegal in the State of Maine to give away free alcohol. An establishment could be subjected to a fine of 1,800.00 for doing just that. I am crediting your card the your meal. It is my hope that this event will not overshadow all the great visits you have had over the last 13 years and you may again come in and enjoy that Calamari and view.