“A Delicious Meal!”

Maurice Restaurant Fancais
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in South Paris
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
South Paris, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Delicious Meal!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This restaurant has been in South Paris for years, but it's never been better than now. The owner prepares original and tasty meals. The atmosphere is quiet and pleasant for fine dining. You feel comfortable dressing up or down and have a great meal!

Visited November 2012

Maine
“Great alternative to fast food on the way to Bethel!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were heading up to Sunday River on Saturday night, and I was dreading the typical fast food stop in Paris. Determined to have something nicer that included wine and a vegetable, I found this gem of the restaurant on Tripadvisor. We called in and made reservations just in case. I also asked if they had a kids menu. They didn't, but they said they would be happy to make something for our girls (11 and 8).

We arrived about 15 minutes early, but they sat us right away. The establishment is an an old house and we sat in what was probably the front parlor. The ambience is very homey and the servers were delightful. Yes, they do have baquet chairs and their silverware looks quite industrial, but they try really hard. They lay out a bunch of silverware, they lit a cute candle for our table, and they even served us an intermezzo of sorbet.

They were very accommodating to our girls. They made them some pasta and homemade chicken tenders.

My husband and I split their large caesar salad, which can be prepared in the kitchen or for a few $ more can be prepared table side. We saved our money and just had them bring it out minus the anchoives. The dressing was excellent, obviously homemade, but just a little too thick. Don't get me wrong, the salad was not drench in dressing as some caesars are, but it was just a little too much for us.

My husband got the Boston Haddock and I got their special that night, Haddock Piccata. We both ordered the petit portions. Mine was phenomenal and my husbands was just ok. They had a lot of other seafood and steaks to choose from so we will definitely go back.

When the bill came we were charged for the regular portions, not the petit. I didn't think we received the regular as they both came in small bakeware dishes about 6 inches long. The server stated they were the regular portions, but she gladly discounted the bill.

Oh, and thanks to the reviewer who mentioned the clearance wines. We turned to the back of the wine menu and found a red wine from Portugal for $20. It was outstanding!!!!!!

• Visited January 2013
“Wonderful meal, nice art , and good service”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Last year on our ride up to Sunday River we stopped at Maurice for a bite to eat, and couldn't wait to go back. It was such an unexpected delight when we happened upon it last year, we made sure to make a reservation this year.

The restaraunt is an old house, the walls are lined with some very good local art, originals and prints, at reasonable prices. It's a very comfortable setting, our server Hyla was extremely pleasant and accommodating. We inquired about the house premium wine, and she immediately offered us a sample. The wine was very good, and I promptly ordered a glass. After some hot fresh bread, a champagne sorbet is complimentary served to freshen your palette , a very nice touch. We both desired some comfort food and ordered the chicken cordon bleu, which we immediately knew was fresh when we heard the chicken being pounded in the kitchen . It made us laugh, as long as we didn't hear clucking. The meal was very good, with a nice cheese mixture of cream cheese and Swiss, giving it a unique signature. I had the scalloped potatoes, which were good, and with a little more attention to presentation would be above average. My spouse had the rice pilaf and thought his meal was excellent . We asked to compliment the chef, and were introduced to Casey, a creative young man with a promising future. I was served a much better meal than i had at the Bethel Inn- in fact it wasn't even close.

While waiting for the meal I was admiring the art. One particular piece caught my eye by Barbara Treyiconte. Barbara teaches a local art class and has some lovely pieces hanging at Maurice available for purchase. I've decided to make it a yearly treat to myself and stop for dinner a buy a piece of art.

Overall we left very happy.

Rowley, Massachusetts
“Fresh food & friendly service!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Both steak & haddock excellent! Although restaurant is small it is also very quaint & quiet. Great selections of wines & great variety of entrees.

Visited September 2012
asbury park, new jersey
“Really Surprised!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Don't go to Maurice with the expectation of haute French cuisine or high end airs. When we walked into the restaurant, we were greeted with stacked up banquet looking chairs and some hostesses running around in tight jeans and leggings. The people ahead of us were in shorts and the carpet looked a little worse for wear. My expectations were falling by the minute! I reminded myself that we were in a tiny nook in Maine and they had accepted our reservation on the fly. My husband and I were seated by the window and found a nice bottle of wine on the "clearance" section of the menu. That gave us a really good laugh to start the evening off right! We order the New England Clam Chowder, the Maurice salad, Coquille st jacques and the Swordfish special. Everything was wonderful! The swordfish could be one of the best steaks I've ever had. It was so fresh and beyond moist and delicious! My husband said the scallops were great and we both loved the clam chowder. The salad was extremely fresh and tasty and well presented. We wanted dessert, but there are so many wonderful ice cream places in Paris, Oxford and Norway that we opted for ice cream instead. This is a sweet little restaurant. The service was good and the food was delicious. That, coupled with an excellent $20 bottle of wine,....how can you go wrong! We will definitely go back.

• Visited August 2012