“A HIDDEN GEM ON SEBAGO LAKE, MAINE”
Review of Migis Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Casco
Migis Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Casco
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My wife and I and our daughter 24, and son 21 just experienced most remarkable family vacation at the Migis Lodge. This place is a throw-back to a simpler time where true happiness was obtained through the enjoyment of the beautiful outdoors, and the trust and friendship of others. This is what makes Migis so special.
We discovered Migis by way of recommendation from a director of an overnight summer camp located in the area. My wife is a marketing consultant to the overnight camping industry, and as such, we have visited Maine for both pleasure and business for the past 20 years. We have stayed at a number of beautiful resorts, hotels, motels and B&B’s in Maine such as the Samoset Resort in Rockport, Harraseeket Inn in Freeport, the Meadowmere Resort in Ogunquit and the Portland Regency in Portland. However, no place epitomizes the essences of Maine as does the Migis Lodge. If you are seeking the lakes, the forests, the great seafood, the crisp fresh air with the sweet smell of pine both indoors and outdoors, the quiet serenity, then this place is for you. If you are seeking five-star accommodations with marble bathrooms and luxurious appointed rooms, I suggest you look elsewhere. In fact, the only luxury rustic resort I can recall is the Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, which by the way, is substantially more expensive than the Migis Lodge once you account for all of the meals and “freebies” provide by Migis.
Migis Lodge is a 90+ year old resort which tries to maintain many of its traditions which is not easy to do in our fast paced society. As my daughter would say, Migis is an analog place in a digital word. In that regard, Migis does not accept credit cards, does not have A/C in the rooms (except for the 6 rooms in the Lodge), requires men to wear jackets during indoor dining (which had A/C), and does not have outside locks on the doors to the rooms (this true for our room at the Lodge and I imagine the same for the standalone homes). While all of this seems shocking at first blush (particularly for a family growing-up in NY and NJ), it works at Migis. When we informed the management of our concern about not locking up our belongings including Ipads, laptops, and my expensive road bicycle, they assured us that nothing has ever been stolen at Migis. I am happy to say that nothing happened to our belongings. To further the Migis system of trust, all of their boats (every type imaginable), and fishing equipment are laid-out in the open for anyone to use.
As for the outdoor facilities, it appears to me that Migis has over a half mile of waterfront property. My typical activities included taking a row boat or kayak out for an hour following sailing for an hour and half. I also took some long and short swims in the lake. Tim, the owner, gave me a lesson on the stand-up paddle board, and I was paddling up and down the shoreline. I also played tennis with my daughter. The equipment provided by the resort is plentiful so there never is an issue of waiting for a boat or having a time limit on the usage. I did some hiking at Migis but found that the woods were a bit too dense and rocky for my liking. Instead, my family and I went nearby to Rattlesnake Mountain (don’t worry – there are no rattlesnakes) for a beautiful one hour hike. Since we went out of the resort during lunch, Migis packed us a beautiful lunchbox. I also took some early morning bike rides around Long Lake.
Our rooms at the Lodge were very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms looked brand-new. Either they were recently redone or they are meticulously maintained. The flooring in our room appears to me to be some type of indoor/outdoor tile and carpet. The furnishings and bedding are simple, dark colored and comfortable. Again, the rooms are appropriately designed for the rustic surroundings given that you are walking on dirt roads and trails all day. Note that rooms in the Lodge are located above or near the dining room. The setting-up of tables for breakfast at 7:30am can be heard in the rooms, and may be an issue for someone who prefers to sleep late. For us, it was not an issue since we are up early each day.
The meals at Migis are delicious and of top quality. We eat at many of the most popular restaurant in NYC and we were surprised on how good the food was Migis. I have an issue with garlic and the Lodge’s chef consulted with me prior to each lunch and dinner. Special accommodations were given to me which is something Migis can easily do since it is catering to only 100 to 150 guests at a time. In that regard, the service during the meals and at all other times was superb since the resort has 80 to 90 fulltime employees. That means that the resort is running almost a one to one ratio of staff to guests!!
Also note that many of the meals are served outdoors by the Lake. It is the most beautiful dining experience. Plus the bugs were never an issue given the dry air and the constant breeze.
Both the staff and the guests are very friendly. During our five day stay, we saw a family reunion of 50 people, young and old couples, and number of young families. Migis provides a supervised day camp for kids starting at age 5. Interestingly, certain of the guest were travel professionals who chose to spend their vacation time at Migis based on its reputation in the travel industry.
As for value, certain people complain on Trip Adviser that Migis is overpriced. For me and my family, I come to the opposite conclusion ( I am a CPA by profession). If you price the food, and the free alcohol which is served during certain days of the week, plus you add-in the free usage of the boating equipment, you may conclude that the “freebies” amount to $100 per day. If you subtract that amount from the daily rate, you may conclude that Migis is appropriately priced. Regardless of the price, I think you will conclude that Migis is one of the most memorable vacation experiences ever. We look forward to coming back to Migis again with our kids, and if we are so blessed one day, with our grandkids.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Neil T

Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed at Migis for two nights for a family wedding and loved it. Highlights were the lobster bake outdoors -- I grew up in New England and miss Maine lobsters and steamer clams -- and the extremely comfy cabins. This is a low-key place, sorta like a summer camp for adults but with nice accommodations. It is not a fancy resort; it is an extremely engaging, informal, and comfortable lodge for those who like the woods and lakes of New England. The staff was extremely nice, offering to fetch things for a guest who had left something in his cabin, and lighting the fire in the cabin for me. (Matches and I do not get along.) It was very early in the season and chilly, so I did not get a chance to take out any of the kayaks, rowboats, or canoes that are available to guests to use anytime.
(On my morning jog along the roads lined with lavender lilacs in bloom, I discovered the childhood home Nathaniel Hawthorne nearbyl it's now a museum and community center.)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank WildlifeFan89
Reviewed May 31, 2011

First everyone should know this hotel ONLY accepts cash (pretty shady if you ask me). I was forced to stay here because I attended a wedding and it was horrible. We got there a half hour before check in at 2:30pm because the cermony started at 5pm and the would not let us check in. Also check out is an hour earlier then most places at 11am. THERE IS NO LOCK for your door when you leave your cabin....yet you are supposed to pay only in cash when you leave....strange. Beware.

Bugs are everywhere. Comforters and curtains look like they've been there since 1976. Stay up the street in Naples, ME instead.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank TraveltheWorld60795
TimPortaOwner, Owner at Migis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

We are sad to learn, as we are sure the bride and groom would be, that one of their wedding guests felt "forced" to stay at Migis Lodge, a place that is special to them and where they hoped all their attendees would have a wonderful time. Migis Lodge has been around for almost 100 years, well before the invention of credit cards, and not using them has become a tradition inherited by each of the three owners in a century, including us. Guests are told when they make their reservation that we are happy to accept personal checks, which is what 99% of our guests choose to do. If our old-fashioned policies and trusting ways made this guest uncomfortable, we truly regret that too.

Tim and Joan Porta
Owners

Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Migis Resort this past August to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. I had been to Migis a long time ago as a child with my parents and some 15+ years later still remembered Migis!! That in itself speaks volumes about the resort. We chose Maine because it such a beautiful state. We are from New Jersey and wanted a change of scenery without having to get on a plane, customs, etc. We also wanted a change of pace from the usual Caribbean vacations. We did love the rustic feel this resort has. The views are gorgeous, lake breath-taking, grounds and cabins well-maintained and very cozy. My husband and I are both a little "woodsy" and this place definitely has that type of feel to it. Food was awesome as well. I love Lobster and was able to eat a whole Lobster just about every night! :)

There were a few drawbacks, but overall nothing that would hinder us from visiting Migis again down the road. The first being the price. I found the price tag a little steep...over $3,500.00 for 4 nights only. That's not including air fare either...we drove up from NJ. On top of that, the day we went to check out, they had never credited our advance booking deposit of $500.00 on to our account. They took care of it only when I realized it, but needless to say, that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

There were also a lot of children there. Not that it such a bad thing, my husband and I both love kids...however, we were the only couple there without children. I also found that we were the youngest people there, minus the kids. Most people there seemed to be middle aged couples traveling with 2-3 kids. We are both in our late 20's. This is more of a family resort...perhaps we will visit again down the road when we have our children.

I was also upset about was finding a tiny mouse in the kitchenette sink our 2nd or 3rd night there. At first I thought it was fake and my husband was playing a joke, but then it moved and I almost died. Luckily my husband caught the thing in a glass and let it out outside. We then called the office and told them about it. They sent out some kind of manager or assistant manager and he was a little bit rude and snotty about the occurence. He did place traps along the cabin and luckily we didnt have any more suprise critters. When I asked if there was anything more they could do for us in regards to the mouse situation, he was a bit snotty...saying "well this is the woods" or something to that effect. Well, yes we know that...that's why we came here. We also know that things like that happen in the woods, as we live on five wooded acres in NJ. However, I was moreso expecting a chipmunk getting in through the porch and not a mouse!

The last thing, we wanted a cabin with lake views. I was assured the cabin we booked had a lake view. It did, but barely, the view was very obscured by a thick tree covering.

Overall a nice place...expensive. It'll be a few years at least before we'd go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ReeRee1214
Reviewed September 9, 2010

i have travelled since childhood in Maine, and selected Migis based on its association with the Black Point Inn. Lovely setting, but definitely not worth the exorbitant price!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maddyvt
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I'm generally reluctant to write travel reviews on TripAdvisor, but I'm making an exception for Migis Lodge. Like many people, I have very fond memories of spending summers at camp in my younger days. As an adult, I've often lamented the fact that there's no summer camp for grown-ups (spas do not count). If you feel the same way, Migis Lodge is the answer. It's all here- the beautiful outdoors, sporting, group meals, rustic accommodations, friendly people- but no one is going to come down on you for breaking curfew this time around.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, the food (especially the Friday night lobster bake) is wonderful. My partner made the comment that even the eggs at breakfast were exceptional. As for myself, I preferred the seemingly-homemade doughnuts, and I'm seriously considering calling to get the recipe for their breakfast potatoes.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating without being obtrusive. Bonus points for having the fireplace ready to go by evening each night. When I found that our cabin lacked a corkscrew, they were more than happy to provide one.

My minor complaints (if you can call them that), are pretty silly: we had a chipmunk in the cabin our first day, our bathroom lacked a hair-dryer, and the Connect Four game in the living room lacked enough pieces to play. See? I told you they were silly. One thing that some people might have a problem with is the fact that the cabins lack locks on the doors. I got the feeling that this was a sense of pride for Migis Lodge, but it is a bit odd, especially considering that you're required to pay in cash. Maybe that's just the New York City in me coming out, and I suspect that's exactly what Migis Lodge was trying to exorcise.

Still, if you feel simpatico at all to my review, then I highly recommend the Migis Lodge. My partner and I will long remember the afternoon we spent rowing out on one of the lodge's boats to scout around the islands on Sebago Lake (not to mention my friend's beautiful wedding). Memories are priceless, and you'll certainly find them here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AlicePalace
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I went here with my fiance for a wedding and was pleasantly surprised. Honestly it was the best wedding food I've ever had. We both had an amazing time. He went kayaking and golfed with his buddies and I worked out in the outdoor covered gym (amazing) and played tennis. Our cabin (Sunset) was very upscale (I am a city girl so I was a little scared it might be like a ratty camp) but you still felt like you were in nature. We both can't wait to return. We both feel so relaxed. It was a nice break from Manhattan.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Poland Springs
Sebago Lake Lodge & Cottages
5 mi away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Windham

Been to Migis Lodge? Share your experiences!