“Coveside is a local favourite and it just got better.”

Coveside Marina & Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Everything about this place is the perfect Maine experience. Great deck and view. Food is definitely better and there is always something happening in the bar at nights. The locals always crowd this place in the summer for a reason. Good food, good views and friendly local folks. Great off centre beer collection that is always changing.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We love the setting for Coveside. Last year was a disaster in terms of food quality, so we approached with trepidation knowing they are under new management. We have been pleasantly surprised over three visits. The service has been friendly. Though there is sometimes a wait, the server has always been helpful. The food has been good. and sometimes more than good. The combination of a lovely view and pleasant food makes this worth a visit. They are under new management and it may take awhile to work out the kinks but it is worth a visit both for setting and for dining.

1  Thank summervisitor30226
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We own a house in south Bristol and have been to coveside on many occasions . A few years ago the food was amazing . Last year was the major disappointment and this year as well . We ate there last night and the food was NOT even cooked!!! We got chicken wings and the stuffed jalopenos wrapped it bacon . The wings were cold and barely cooked. The jalopenos that were supposed to be stuffed with crab meat had zero crab and the bacon was almost raw . This place really needs to get their act together . Will only return for drinks from now on . Sad considering it's the only restaurant on the island . You would think they would strive to have good food.

1  Thank Amiller93
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Last year was not good with a rude management and sub par food. New management, chef and a great staff. Operated by the Newcastle public house this restaurant has come back to life with great food and an enjoyable chef, manager and staff. Angry Al's oysters, scallops wrapped in bacon, chalkboard seafood specials, pasta primavera, great Caesar salad and an excellent blackened haddock sandwich. A little bit of fine dining and a pub menu available. This chef has talent. Come on back. Morings available for guests. hail on channel 9! Watch the sun go down on one of the most beautiful coves in Maine.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We are a family of 11 renting a house in Christmas Cove and were excited to be able to walk down the street to the restaurant. We called ahead to make a reservation for our large crowd. We arrived right on time and it was a surprise to them. The place was empty and we had to move our own tables and chairs. We ordered drinks and a bottle of wine. The server seemed flustered with our large crowd and took several trips to get all our drinks out. We ordered dinner. Several of us had appetizers. She asked if she could bring them all out with the dinners. I said no, I wanted my appetizer before the meal. My husband didn't hear her and never got his clam chowder. She said she was going to bring it out with the dinner, so he cancelled it. Why would we want an appetizer brought out with a meal? Never been asked that before. They had oysters on the menu and I asked if I could just have them raw. Plain raw oysters. "sure!" our server said, then brought me out a plate of the oysters with the spinach, bacon etc and explained they were only a little warm, not hot like the menu stated-hot. I returned them, and was eventually delivered a plate with 6, not 5 oysters. My daughter ordered them as well and only got 5 on her plate. The only clams on the menu were clam chowder. This is a seafood place on the water in Maine and there was not a clam dish on the menu. The lobster was $28 for a 1.5 pounder so they said. This was no 1.5 pound lobster. It was a regular chick lobster and it was $28 when the lobster prices in Maine are down under $5/pound. I received a very unattractive plate of steamed zucchini and summer squash, a few overly roasted potato pieces. By the time my lobster came, the veggies and potatoes were cold. My sister ordered the fish taco. The taco was the mini size, she got 2 with 4 small cubes of fish on the hard and overly microwaved taco. Disgusting. My father's swordfish looked promising. Probably the best of the bunch. Several got the stuffed haddock. It appeared frozen and there was far more stuffing than fish. The waitress forgot about us and our drinks went unfilled, we were unable to return food as we couldn't find her. Not only is this the worst excuse for a restaurant in Maine, it was a disgrace to have this person as a server and she obviously hadn't been trained or knew anything about waitressing. On several occasions, other staff had to help her deliver food. Our appetizer plates were never removed from the tables, we didn't received a bowl for our lobster shells or a wet nap to clean up with, I had to ask for crackers and a pick. To add insult to injury our bill came to over $300 when several members had just an appetizer for dinner. It's a true shame as it is probably one of the best locations going with amazing views. The casual plastic chairs and tables are tacky, but understandable when people are eating lobster outside. Many people pulled up in a boat to dine/drink. Give up the food and stay as a bar. You'll do better. It was the biggest disappointment I've had in dining....ever...

2  Thank Tracy O