“Mediocre Atmosphere/Poor Service”

Dining options: Reservations
Rollinsford, New Hampshire
“Mediocre Atmosphere/Poor Service”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After giving this place a few chances, I've finally come to the conclusion that Isidore is not worth giving money to. Each visit, the service has been incredibly slow and unattentive even when there doesn't seem to be any other guests there. While the building seems charming upon first glance, there was pretty much a lack of decor and coziness that I found to be lazy and cold rather than modern. The only redeeming factor was the food, which wasn't bad. Unfortunately, that's not enough when there is Pepperland across the street (which is awesome) and lots more in Dover and Portsmouth.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank EvanServo

center harbor
“Holiday Retreat!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have passed this place many times on our way to Kennebunk where our mother lives, each time saying we must stop in. Well, we did on Black Friday for dinner and a relaxing meal. Nice atmosphere, cozy and clean. Our waitress Katie was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. We started with apps of mussels and rangoons, very nice. Drinks were good and quickly served. Our choices were burger and open faced steak, yummy and perfectly cooked. A nice touch after our meal as we were relaxing was the owner coming over to our table asking if everything was good. Yes, we dine out frequently and will be back.

1 Thank freddi g
South Berwick, Maine
“Isidore's - South Berwick Maine”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

So I will start by saying I'm a bit biased since I live in South Berwick. It's great to have a new restaurant that's has a little more upscale food selection and a nice atmosphere. Food selection is good and everything I've tried has been great - I recommend the wings and crab rangoon appetizers. Beer selection could be better - but it's South Berwick and I'm happy they have beer on tap. I recommend this place if you are cutting through town or happen to be in the area!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank AnnMarie J
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Best experience I have had in a long time. I work at a resteraunt with a similar concept as Isidore so I am super picky as to what I eat. This place exceeded my expectations and then some! I started with a pumpkin martini that had fresh pumpkin purée that could have been a dessert! I couldn't decide between the crusted haddock or the pork because they both sounded so good. Then our server told us about a tapas special that had pork, swordfish, and steak. I immediately jumped on that because I now didnt have to choose between pork or fish and I got the addition of steak! Everything was cooked perfectly and it was super hot which you don't find often! You can tell everything is made to order and there is a lot of love that goes into the food. The value is also unreal $14 dollars for the dish I order and could easily be priced a lot higher because I would have paid double for that. Our server was super nice and attentive and I loved the atmosphere! Can't wait to go back!!

Dover, New Hampshire
“Uneven”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The following is my opinion based upon my wife, son, his wife and I having dinner at Isidore on the Sunday before Labor Day. I had purchased my wife a gift certificate to Isidore several months prior, and I had been looking for the right time to try it.

I had been excited to see an upscale restaurant open in South Berwick, in South Berwick's small downtown, and had positive expectations upon entering.

Isidore's did a nice job of updating the exterior of the former store front, and is attractively decorated inside, although I thought it was a bit dark. We were promptly seated and greeted. There were about 10 - 15 other patrons there.

We started off with a round of drinks, and ordered the calamari appetizer, which was very enjoyable, having a cormeal type coating. I am a big micro brew enthusiast, and I was a bit disappointed at the draft beer selection.

When our server came to take our dinner orders, we were told that the restaurant was out of a number of meals. We were told that there was enough salmon for either one salmon entree or two salmon blt's and enough haddock for fish tacos, but could not offer the haddock dinner, and was completely out of lobster. Frankly, this was a big disappointment, to take your family out to dinner, and to find that so many of the dinner selections were either unavailable or so limited that only one in your party could order it. Maybe Labor Day weekend is a big weekend for eating out, but this is the one thing we will remember about Isidore.

My daughter-in-law ordered the Salmon BLT, which she loved. My son ordered the fish tacos, which he felt was very average. My wife just ordered the clam chowder. She is a big fan of clam chowder, but felt it was not one of the better clam chowders she has ordered. I ordered a special, which was a bbq trio of chicken, pulled pork and ribs. I thought it was ok.

Our meal, which with one beer or glass of wine each, the appetizer, and the foregoing meals, came to over $80.00. Three of the four of us were disappointed with Isidore for being out of so many items, and for the quality of the meals.

We may try Isidore again, but if we do, we will call ahead and make sure that they are not out of anything.

• Visited September 2012