“Extremely overpriced”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We ordered three lobsters. The price was about $10.00 per lobster. These were not big lobsters, just one to one-and-a quarter pounds each. We found out the next day that there is currently a glut of lobsters. You can get a cooked lobster at Hanniford's down the road for half the price of Ted's. Admittedly, the lobsters tasted good and the girl who served us was very nice, but the price! Don't go there if you can help it.

8  Thank thomasonthelane

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My children and I stopped into Ted's on Thursday for our summer ritual "Thursday Night Rock House Ice Cream Night". Before going I checked their website where the Thursday ice cream special is still advertised. After being overcharged I asked about the Thursday pricing and was told "Ted's doesn't run the special in the summer anymore". I requested to talk to someone to ask if they would honor the pricing advertised on their website. I ended up speaking with the owner who refused to honor the advertised price, and he abruptly/rudely walked away without allowing me the opportunity to inquire why the advertised price would not be honored. There were other customers waiting - they were also shocked by how rude the owner was to me for simply asking him to honor the pricing advertised on his website. Clearly customer service is not high up on his priority list. We'll find a new ice cream shop for our summer ice cream nights out. BTW the food isn't great, which is why we only stop in for the ice cream.

14  Thank ADH1974
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ted's is an institution in the Shapleigh/Sanford area and has been since 1950. My Father-in-law grew up in Sanford and tells great stories of how when he was a kid, he and his buddies used to hitchhike from downtown up to Ted's for the fried seafood.

Ted's is much larger now with an attached ice cream section. Lot's of parking. And seating inside and out is available, but both fill up quickly around dinner time, and almost all the time during the summer weekends. Pricing is pretty average for the genre of food, but the portions are pretty huge. You won't go hungry! The lobster and steamers section is separate from the main ordering counter, so if that is what you are looking for, head in the front door then go to the right and back to the rear of the seating area to order those delicious treats. Anything on the menu is good, in my opinion, but the fried scallops have always been my fav.

Enjoy!

1  Thank David J H
Reviewed July 5, 2013

On the recommendation of a relative in Maine, I stopped by Ted's for the first time today. Dating back to 1950, this roadside eatery offers a vast selection of seafood with clams at the forefront. Not being a real fan of whole belly clams, I sampled the clam strip roll. Overflowing the roll and very tasty! Reminded me of the great clam strip rolls I enjoyed at HoJo's through the years or at the now-defunct (most unfortunately) El's Fried Claims in Cape Neddick. Whole belly clam lovers will enjoy their favorite as well. New England Americana buffs note: Like El's, they have preserved the original shack from which they served many a clam lover for years. It's set off the the side at the edge of the parking lot.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was very clean, and the portions were good sized. Seafood is expensive, so I'm prepared to pay as long as the food tastes good, and it does at Ted's.

1  Thank Betty C