“So sad”

Ted's Fried Clams
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Shapleigh
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Saco, Maine, United States
“So sad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

So sad. I guess the economy is affecting even good folks like Teds Fried Clams. I pride myself on my knowledge of food. In this case I had a Seafood Platter, combination of fried clams, scollop's, Maine shrimp, haddock and fries. First off the haddock, all five pieces still had the blood line giving it a more than mild fish flavor. Next were the scollop's. Bay scollop's are what there were and for anyone in the know, that's a no no for an almost $30 plate. The shrimp seemed to taste like Maine shrimp and were small like Maine shrimp. That being said, Maine shrimp is out of season so they must have been frozen, hence the toughness. The clams were defiantly Maine dug steamers but were some of the smallest I have seen in long time. Sort of like little necks. So there it is in a nut shell. Sorry folks but I have to tell you I was truly disappointed...

• Visited July 2012
5 Thank Ron S

Mansfield, Massachusetts
“Awesome food at good prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I always get the clam chowder. The onion rings and french fries are so AWESOME. Every year I go here before the Acton Fair which makes it an even more awesome day.

• Visited June 2012
Venice, Florida
“OK food, overpriced - plastic forks and paper plates??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The food is OK, not worth the prices. What really irks me is the cheap plastic forks that bend or break after a few bites and the flimsy paper plates. Really.. for the prices they charge at least give plastic forks that last through the meal. Contemplating bringing my own silverware if I ever go back.
It is clean, and well kept- but not my favorite seafood place.

• Visited May 2012
8 Thank Papabear0276
Sanford, Maine
“Cutting Corners Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

A few years ago, when the third generation took over running the restaurant, they started to cut corners. Ted's was always known for their small, sweet clams that, I always heard, were gotten from upstate near the Canadian border. All of a sudden, they were serving big, nasty clams. Business fell off and they went back to the nice small, sweet clams. Well, they are cutting corners again. Tonight I was served huge, tasteless nasty clams. I shouldn't say tasteless, they actually had the taste of chlorine. I Ted's food is not cheap. If I am going to pay good money for seafood, I want good seafood. I have been going to Ted's for almost fifty years. What a disappointment they have become.

• Visited May 2012
6 Thank J M
Portland, Maine
“Horrible clam chowder”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I will never go back again. Thick, gooey, salty, yucky clam chowder. Totally inedible. Brought it back to the counter and asked for my money back and was refused. Ugh. Terrible. Horrible. Never again.

Visited September 2011