“Loved the Pirate and old ship models & the food was great!”

The Mermaid Restaurant & Pub at Homeport
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nautical theme full service pub & family dining room in an 11,000 sq. Ft. 10 Bedroom with private bath refreshed historic inn on the national register of historic places. Chef prepared meals specializing in fresh local seafood, angus steaks, grilled chicken, burgers, Lobster Mac & Cheese, Homemade Desserts, and kid's meals. Affordable for families. Large fireplace and 4 flat screen TV's in the pub. Easy listening music. Great food, service and atmosphere, air conditioning
Searsport, Maine
“Loved the Pirate and old ship models & the food was great!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recommend the ribeye & the fried clams! They were perfect. Service was excellent. Nice nautical interior in a beautiful historic building.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Josh S

Berwick, Maine
“Good food, Good prices, friendly atmosphere, will definitely go back!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I have dined at this fabulous establishment many times, Never had any problems with anything, my favorite dish would have to be the wild spring salad with salmon tips and second favorite is either the maple bourbon steak tips or the chicken Marcella.

1 Thank Jcmn81980
Portland, Maine
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our group of 8 chose from a varied menu with many reasonably priced options. Service was prompt and attentive (thanks Heather!). Six of the meals were very good, two diners ordered the shrimp and lobster linguini which was simply overwhelmed by a poorly chosen red sauce. Skip this entree and enjoy the rest.

Monson, Massachusetts
“Good except for the lobster mac & cheese”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

There were so many glowing reviews in TripAdvisor that we were looking forward to trying The Mermaid. One reviewer even said they ate there 3 nights in a row. I don't take it lightly when I have to write a less than awesome review, because I know businesses are struggling in this economy, but I know people depend on these reviews to help them make good choices. The first night we went there, we had the $6.95 Happy Hour Fried Haddock Dinner with hand-cut fries and coleslaw. It was a great value - my delicious Margarita cost more than my dinner! - large pieces of fish with just-right breading and very good fries. Came back the next night to try the lobster mac & cheese, highly recommended by reviewers and our waitress. My husband had the Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich, which he said was very good. OK, so I guess the only "less than awesome" part of this review is about the lobster mac & cheese. It was a huge portion, served in a large bowl - very soupy mac & cheese topped with lots of bread crumbs - not nice, crispy baked bread crumbs, rather the kind you pour from a box. The lobster was not good - too chewy and stringy, overcooked - when the waitress came around to see how we were doing, I didn't complain because I'd never had lobster mac & cheese and had no idea what it was supposed to look like or taste like. The soupy part had a decent flavor, and I was able to eat some of it, being careful to avoid the lobster. We took almost all of it home in a box, but threw it out. This time my dinner was $10 more than my Margarita, but the Margarita was better.

3 Thank mapless
“Felt mislead”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The porch with outdoor seating, though visible to passersby, was not ready for diners. We were greeted by a strong chemical smell in the dining room. The waitress was slow and complained about making the lemonade I ordered within earshot of my table. The clam chowder was watery and tasted like it came out of a can. The fried clam strips tasted like they had gone rancid. This was the worst restaurant on my whole trip to New England.

4 Thank Starlyric
Marcia C, Owner at The Mermaid Restaurant & Pub at Homeport, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our restaurant. We found it very shocking and I checked with the other owner that manages the restaurant with me. We manage the restaurant every day ourselves except for Mondays when we are closed. We do not recall any feedback from any of our guests while they were dining like what is noted in this review. We sincerely apologize for your experience. We are thinking that perhaps you have the wrong establishment? We don't have a porch for dining (we do have a stone patio with fountain for our inn guests that is not visible to passersby) and we do not serve clam strips. We use whole fresh clams which are also used in our clam chowder. Our clam chowder is made to order by our chef. We do not make it ahead of time as it is cream based and this delivers the best chowder possible. Please call us at the Mermaid - we want to make this right! Sincerely, Marcia.