“Stayed in 2011 and just Rebooked & 2012”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Searsport
Searsport Shores Oceanfront Campground
Toronto, Canada
“Stayed in 2011 and just Rebooked & 2012”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family stayed here last July. We found the owners very friendly and helpfull. The property is very clean and kids area well looked after. The view is amazing and you are able to take the whole family dog included on the beach. This is by far our favorite spot to camp.

See you in July!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank vacaguy9966

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hermon, Maine
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Have camped at Searsport Shores three times over the last three years. Have camped there in boboth a pop-up and a 24' camper. Lots are on the smallish side. Not completely cramped but Minot really enough space to not feel somewhat cramped. Beautiful views of Penobscot Bay. The beach is rocky but that's just a typical Maine beach. The kids enjoy it and it is nice to take a lawn chair down to the beach and relax and watch the waves. If you're looking for a party place this is not for you. Quiet day and quieter nights. Nights around the campfire can be a challenge. Small fire rings on small camp lots. I suspect that's by design so you can't have too big of a fire. Don't bring any firewood as they will not let you burn it. The State of Maine government is against bringing any wood in state lest it has emerald ash borers or other non-indegenous species of insects. This campground would rather confiscate your wood and sell you their overpriced bundles of firewood. I did bring wood that I cut on my own property NORTH of Searsport. They wanted to confiscate. We settled on keeping the wood in the back of my covered truck. Lots are pricey but I understand you're paying for a view. I'm just not sure that $70 a night is worth it. Great location for a campground. Close to many activities. Just not my cup of tea after three visits.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Eric F
warren me.
Reviewed September 7, 2011

They were very helpful here for us being a first time rv'r. Steve was very helpful with my eve questions and even came and helped me dump it! Now that's service!!! Grounds were clean and the beach area is pretty. We were there during the hurricane and they had a bonfire that night to welcome it. My only complaint would be that you sent allowed to bring in fire wood you have to buy theirs at seriously inflated price of $6 a bundle. Thank the state for part of this they don't want wood brought in from other states. This was our test trip with our camper..... i live 8 miles from them, i didn't buy my wood out of state????

• Stayed August 2011
10 Thank gillagon
Zionsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I've been to a good bunch of campgrounds in Maine through the years, each has its pros and cons....we were very very pleased and happy to have found Searsport Shores and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there...Steve was very friendly and accomadating as well as the other staff...from the gorgeous views, complete peace and quiet at night, and tons of activities for the family to do (I got two young children) and areas to hang out/play in/explore..the gardens are beautiful, and the weekly artist studio is a pretty cool idea, unfortunately I missed the wood turning expert by a week...they have lots of information on current local events to keep you occupied the whole time there, we missed out on the lobster bake unfortunately..we'll definitely be returning there next year...traveled in a pop-up

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank bighoofty
Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Many campgrounds I have been to in the past have been loud and full of screaming kids, this was not. This campground is quiet, clean and very peaceful. The sites right on the ocean are pretty close but the others (oceanview) are really nice. We stayed 5 days and traveled in a pop-up and it was great. The showers take some getting used to being that you can shower and hear a mans voice if one is in the shower bays but they are very private. There are only 5 shower bay but we never had to wait. The facilities are cleaned often and the staff is very helpful. Price for wood and ice are a bit high but it is what it is. Great place to stay and if I ever do go back to Maine I would definately stay here

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank bubba-tsn
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I wanted to go to Maine for lobster, hiking and camping so after a little bit of searching on the internet, I came up with this campground. It is on the Penobscot Bay so it is not wide open ocean (the only bummer for me) but there were still waves to stare at and listen to :) and it also keeps the water more calm for swimming and kayaking.

This campground is for RVs and tents - they are separated of course. The tent sites are not drive up- you park in a small lot, take a cart (which is essentiallly like a big wheelbarrow) and load up your stuff to cart to the site. It's really easy and actually nice not to have the cars around - keeps noise and exhaust and dust down! We had an "adult" site, which means you are limited to the size tent and number of people you can have, no kids. That was just what I wanted - quiet (no groups or loud children). The sites have a fireplace and a picnic table and are mostly shaded. They all vary in size and configuration of course but the only one I would not want is the one closest to the parking lot, just for my own personal preference. But that one is also closest to the bathrooms...

Speaking of that -there are bathrooms that were kept mostly clean that I saw (you just can't help some rude people leaving their stuff all over- the staff certainly tried to keep up as I saw many times), showers that are also regularly cleaned, and a camp store that sells firewood, ice, goodies and other stuff (including marshmallow sticks!). Although I didn't have children with me, I can say that there was a lot for kids to do (just check out the website). They also rent kayaks and they have a lobster bake every Saturday night that was not only delicious but GREAT fun!!! We thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. It certainly was not roughing it :). Even though the site was completely full on the weekends, the evenings were all very quiet - I did not really hear much from the other sites so that was nice too.

I love Acadia National Park and thought this place was closer but it was about an hour drive, and that coupled with the traffic and slower speed limit, I would say it took about 1-1.5 hours to really get to the park. That might be the only reason I might pick another site to go to next time. Having said that, on one day we went south instead of north to a different place for a hike so if you don't have Acadia in your sights as I did, there are plenty of other hiking options.
Also, even though there are all those amenities I mentioned above, I thought it was a wee bit pricey for a campsite ($50/night for the ocean front site, $39 for one that is set further back). This does not include the lobster bake although I thought $48 for a whole lobster, clams, mussels, corn, potatoes, fresh made bread, dessert and soft drinks was worth it! Of course I also have not exhaustively looked at costs for ocean front sites so maybe this is the same. Overall, the only reason it got a 4 instead of 5 rating is the price but I would have given it 4.5 because we really had a fabulous weekend.

Room Tip: For $11/night more, you get water front. It was worth it to me but there are other places to stare a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank WineLover0717
New Hampshire
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I almost hesitate to write about how wonderful this campground is because I'd hate to see it become overcrowded and hard to get into! This was not the case on my three-night visit last week. It was not overcrowded at all for a weekend, and I can't wait to go back.

I don't RV camp, but if I did it would be a great place for it. The RV area, to me, seems too close together, too crowded for my tastes. Then again, RV's take up a lot of space.

I thought the tent sites were perfect. Some are better than others as far as the view. You will get what you pay for and it's well worth the extra money spent to have a beautiful unspoiled view of the ocean. Well worth it.

The campground was exceptionally clean (except around the dumpster area - that needed a bit of maintenance) and also exceptionally quiet. I appreciated that the owners and employees check you in, explain a few things to you, and leave you alone. I've been to campgrounds where they are constantly monitoring the sites, making the campers feel uncomfortable. This was not the case at the Shores - although it is obvious that the owners are very aware of the activity within the property and are constantly maintaining it - yet in a low key way.

I was offered help if I needed it setting up my tent (I was alone), got help carrying down my rented kayak (very reasonable rates as well) to the water and back, and found everyone to be smiling, helpful, and friendly. SO appreciated was the distinction between the adult only campground and the family ones. Though sound does carry well through campsites, it was not excessive from the family campground and a cheap pair of earplugs will block out most noise.

This campground is in a perfect location and offers easy access to all the best parts of mid-Coast Maine. Kayaking, fishing, shelling, hiking, biking, shopping, etc. are all right there. The views around the area are stunning.

Yes, for tent sites you must park and pack your gear into good-sized garden carts that serve this purpose well. It's a short hike up a small hill to the sites. It's a good workout and right in line with what you are there to do - camp. If vehicles were allowed these sites would turn to crap. They are delicate and it shows - I felt lucky to be there.

Last, to the reviewer who recently posted that the beach at this campground is rocky and covered in seaweed, I can only say, did you realize you were going to a Maine beach? They are all like that. If you need a sandy beach or even a lake for warmer water, they are very nearby. All the beaches are lovely in their own special way in this area. But tropical they will never be. That is Maine. I love it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
12 Thank Jen_XNH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Searsport
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
#1 of 8 in Belfast
Captain A. V. Nickels Inn
Captain A. V. Nickels Inn
#2 of 4 in Searsport

Been to Searsport Shores Oceanfront Campground? Share your experiences!