“Like a home away from home!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Higgins Beach Inn

Higgins Beach Inn
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Montreal, Canada
“Like a home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

Everything about our experience at the HBI was terrific! We had gone there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and came away - more glad than ever - that we had chosen the HBI to mark that special date.

Although the Inn is creaky and quirky, given its age that's what makes it so charming. The room, too, had a lot of turn-of-the-century draw (including no phone or t.v.) that really make the whole weekend that much more relaxing.

Proximity to the beach, which was just a two-minute walk down the road, plus being so close to restaurants and shopping also makes it a premiere location to stay.

Owners Bob and Diane were extremely affable, helpful and accommodating – and the young ladies who served breakfast in the morning were extremely polite and very friendly.

I've had the good fortune to stay at quite few 5-star hotels throughout Europe and North America, but nothing compares with my time at the Higgins Beach Inn – and the beautiful beach town in which it's nestled.

If great value at a family-friendly inn, tucked into one of the best beaches in Maine, is what you're looking for then you can't go wrong with this seaside gem!

• Liked — Proximity to beach.
  • Disliked — Can't say that there was anything.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bigdog_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

The Higgins Beach Inn is the only game in town, and boy, do they act like it. I understand an old place is going to be small, a little poky, and sometimes inconvenient. What usually makes up for those things, however, are owners who strive to give you the best experience and customer service. No such luck here.
The owners of the HBI are inattentive at best, surly at worst. They seem to care only about 1) their huge, hideously misbehaving puppy dog, 2) their Higgins Beach neighbor/regulars sitting around shooting the [-] in the bar, 3)making sure they aren't inconvenienced in any way.
There seems to be no concept of wanting return customers who are not from the area.
That said, a few bright spots: The restaurant is great for both breakfast and dinner (well-priced, too), the bartender (Jill, I think) is a sweetheart who seems to be constantly apologizing for some faux pas of either the owners or their out-of-control dog, plus it's THISCLOSE to the beach.
In short, you must be oblivious to inattentive treatment (which you are paying for!) and must be extremely indulgent of bad animal behavior in order to have a good stay at the HBI.
We WON'T be returning to stay overnight. We may go to the restaurant.

• Liked — restaurant, location near beach
  • Disliked — inattentive staff, horrible dog
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LeaBostonarea
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

We enjoyed our visit last Saturday night (Sept. 27th). The inn is very charming and the room was very comfortable. There were three of us in the room with two twin beds. Fortunately, my wife and I were able to snuggle and fit in the twin bed for one night. My daughter had the other bed. The hotel was quiet at night so we slept well. We had to use a shared bathroom, but it was clean, there was a stack of clean towels, with shampo and soap in individual use containers. The shower had hot water, so I was happy. Our dinner and breakfast at the Garofalo were delicious (I had the lobster benedict for breakfast) and we enjoyed the staff. We had a great time walking the beach in the rain and watching the surfers. We enjoyed playing with Cash, the young golden retriever.

• Liked — It was a nicely decorated old wood building, with a comfortable reading room & great food.
  • Disliked — We had to squeeze two adults into a twin bed.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank brosenguy
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

I should have gotten a clue as to how this establishment is run when I made my first call there to inquire about making a reservation. The man on the line was distracted and rushed me through my questions and even asked me to call back later because he was 'running a restaurant' too.

When I did call back later I made a reservation for three adults in one room but needing two separate beds. I was told I would have to pay 50% of the total bill at that time and 50% when we checked in. We checked out the next day with charges of $166.

I checked my credit card statement after arriving home and found an additional charge for $21.40 was tacked on after we left. I just got off the phone with a combative person who told me the charge was for a cot for the third person. I was never informed that I would have to pay more for this....either at the time I made a reservation or from the clerk who checked us in. After stating this fact to the person I just spoke with on the phone, she minimized the clerks' error by stating that 'people make mistakes' and insisted that I would still have to pay for the uncomfortable cot even though we did originally book a room for three. Did the person taking the original reservation really think all three of us would sleep in one bed, or was his mind elsewhere??

I would never have paid $187 for one night at this bare bones, run-down flop house, and that $166 was way too generous for what this hotel has to offer. I had the worst customer service I've ever experienced at this hotel, and if I had to do it over again I'd stay somewhere else in Scarborough and then pay the $10 parking fee at the lot I saw on Ocean Street to be able to walk down to the beach.

• Liked — location to beach
  • Disliked — over-priced for what they have to offer, customer service, broken things in the room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank gnomead
West Coast USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

I really hate to do this, but feel I have a moral responsibility to tell it like it is/was. Three of us booked a night at the Inn in order to try it out for future stays. One night was enough. We wanted to spend time at Higgins Beach, which has a restrictive parking policy so we opted to stay at the inn for convenience and access to the beach. This turned out to be a very expensive parking spot.

The person at the desk seemed distracted and inattentive, as were all of the staff we encountered. We asked if there was ice on our floor and she acted as if it was the first time this question was posed. She replied that there wasn’t, but she could get us some if we “really wanted it”– an odd response to someone asking for ice. We went to our room and found only one queen size bed. We brought this to their attention and were directed to another room with two twin beds (for a couple) and a very uncomfortable, old roll-away bed that barely fit in our tiny room.

The rest of my party went to the beach, while I spent time in the room. They asked if beach chairs were available for guests, but only towels were provided. Again, it seems odd that a “beach Inn” does not have these kinds of amenities, especially when they cater to beach-goers.

In the room, I found that the toilet seat was broken and required considerable skill and steady hands to grip both the seat and the bowl (yuck) in order to stay on it. Next, I went to plug in my laptop to recharge it. I found only one two-prong outlet in the room, which would not hold a plug. The clock radio was blinking 12:00 and the lamp plug had fallen out. I was able to manage buy propping the adapter up with the Gideon’s Bible (praise the Lord) and the box of facial tissues on top of it. The other member of our party had a three-prong adapter, which they had to snake into the grounded plug in the bathroom. I understand that this is a quaint, old inn but in this day of rechargeable devices, it is reasonable to expect outlets in working order be provided to guests. The inn does provide wifi.

I went to switch on the overhead light, but before I did I noticed that it was one of those cool old fixtures with a flower pattern and two exposed light bulbs. I thought to myself, “I bet one of the bulbs is burned out.” Yep. That summed up the problem at the inn – a lackadaisical attitude and lack of attention to hospitality.

This was further born out when I went outdoors to sit in the shade on one of the picnic tables, where I found a burned down cigar laying on the bench and thought it odd. Later, I sat with my wife on one side of the porch, while the owner and two other men were smoking cigars and discussing business on the other side. Now, I smoke a good cigar occasionally, but I think it’s fairly common practice to be considerate of non-smokers, especially if you’re an innkeeper. But, it wasn’t the smoke that I found incredibly thoughtless as much as the language. “[--]” this and “[--]” that was flying about the porch with no regard to the families entering and exiting the inn.

I heard the restaurant there is good, but I wasn’t ready to gamble. This is a quaint, no-frills inn, complete with small rooms, with run-down or broken fixtures and a nice dog. Don’t expect much and you won’t be disappointed.

• Liked — Location, outside appearance and lawn, wifi
  • Disliked — Inattention, run-down conditions of rooms, insensitive hosts
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank hoseythat
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

The best thing about this place is that the staff and Bob (the owner) are so helpful. When the Sun is out it is a fantastic location only a short walk to the beach.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geoffg1972
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

We were married in the Higgins Beach area in 2001 and try to stay at the Inn each anniversary. The Inn is casual; the rooms are affordable (especially compared to other oceanside inns in the Scarborough area), but don't expect the Ritz, which they never claimed to be. That is why we like it so much.

The location is great. We like that we can park our car, spend time on the amazing beach (the best in Maine, in our opinion), eat dinner, have drinks in lounge, and we don't get back in our car until we leave. Very relaxing. Portland and Freeport are just a short drive away for visiting Old Port and the outlets.

The food is really good, especially the calamari. And the menu prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food. Our last visit, I got the baked stuffed lobster, and it was amazing.

We often recommend friends and family to the Higgins Beach Inn and will continue our annual visit for years to come.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcro74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Black Point Inn Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,269 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to Higgins Beach Inn? Share your experiences!