“PICK A DIFFERENT MARRIOTT IN PORTLAND”

Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Vermont
“PICK A DIFFERENT MARRIOTT IN PORTLAND”
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Arrived with a Marriott Rewards Elite member reservation. The reception at the front desk was BRUSQUE and unwelcoming. I got a better welcome from the competitor's reception desk when I stopped in for directions than I did at this hotel!!!! When I indicated that I had trouble finding the hotel, I got absolutely no response. Breakfast was set up in a bleak foyer, room configuration was okay and it was moderately clean, but I would've much preferred a different Marriott or the Hampton Inn nearby. Parking required me to cross two lots to get to my hallway entrance.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LAKR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New York
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Despite the very suburban location, this is a great place to stay! Our first family vacation with our infant son, the suite was perfect for us. We ran to the Shaw's across the street almost daily, stocked up the refrigerator and made ourselves a nice breakfast every morning before heading out for the day. The rooms were spotless and well appointed. The cable was great, we even had Noggin, so my son was happy in the morning. Didn't get to use the pool or the bbq, but it was really nice that they were available. I was especially happy to be able to do some laundry in the on-site laundry, clean clothes for the rest of our trip! My husband enjoyed the free wi-fi, the staff printed us out maps a bunch of times, and they were always friendly. A very nice atmosphere - the only negative is that it is a little outside of the city, but if you don't mind a quick drive it is perfect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank aabny
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We just stayed 2 nights at the TownePlace Suites in Scarborough. The room was clean, recently decorated and fine for a short stay. Our studio suite included a small kitchenette with a frig, stove, dishwasher and coffeemaker. The room also had a table, 2 chairs and another work/desk chair. The couch was hard and uncomfortable- not sure what it was made of as it was not flexible fabric at all. The bed was comfortable and linens were soft and made for a comfortable rest. We were disappointed that there were no vending machines to even get a drink in our building (building B)- we had to go across the parking lot to the front desk to get drinks/snacks as well as the grab and go breakfast in the AM. There are no elevators in the building which would be important if traveling with a family or a lot of luggage. Also- one night when the hotel was busy we got back around 11pm and could not find a parking spot as they did not push the snow banks back well in the lot so many spots were not usable. We had to park in the lot of one of the neighboring office buildings. Overall a decent hotel for the price but no frills.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyoness
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I stayed in the TownPlace Suites @ Portland for an extended period of 3 months during the most freezing times of the year. I was initially unsure about continuing my stay here. But the amenities available, the presence of a Shaw's SuperMarket at a walking distance and an extremely friendly staff that was always ready to help and guide a clueless foreigner made sure that I fell in love with this place. Extremely quiet, good Heating, a functional Gym, kitchen and superb (though Wired) Net connection overall made it a pleasing experience. If I ever visit Portland - Maine again (perhaps for a ski trip), I will definitely make it a point to stay at the TownePlace Suites Portland Scarborough.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank GMBADreamz
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My family stayed here for two nights in Dec/Jan, and had a great time. We had a 2 bedroom suite, which had a sofabed, so everyone had their own bed. The kitchen had everything we needed (full-size fridge, plates/bowls, glasses, silverware, and bottle opener/corkscrew :)

During the full day we were there, the room was made up and cleaned, which I wasn't expecting after reading some of the other reviews.

Breakfast was pretty sparse, some muffins, cereal, milk, juice, and coffee.

The location was ok -- 15 minutes to the Old Port, half an hour to Freeport. There's a Shaw's right across the street, Wal-Mart, CVS etc. within a couple minutes' drive.

Overall, the room was quiet and clean, plenty of room for the 4 of us, and we had a great time.

• Liked — The large, clean rooms.
  • Disliked — No indoor pool.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
pittsburgh pa
Reviewed September 28, 2008

The staff was friendly and helpful and there was a nice wall map of the area along with many brochures. The rooms were quiet and kept clean. Excellent location near RT1, I-95. Easy access to Portland, Lighthouses, etc..

Only negatives were small TV's and no breakfast seating area in lobby.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank donofrano
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I usually stay at Marriott properties because I can get a free stay using my credit card rewards program so I chose the cheapest Marriott in the Portland area and it happened to be this TownePlace in Scarborough.
This trip was for me and my girlfriend for a 4 day getaway from the Arizona heat. We've never been to Maine before so we decided to check it out.
The hotel was excellent! The check in was quick and all of the employees were extremely helpful and polite. They had a computer with internet and a printer in the lobby so that you can print your boarding passes before you leave. The lobby is modern and hip and has a nice area map and tips on where to eat and attractions. They offered a small complimentary breakfast that was cereal, an apple and a breakfast bar. They also offered coffee and juice. Not huge, but it's free and enough food to get you going in the morning.
The hotel is extremely secure as you must have a key to enter the hallways to the rooms. Which gave 2 female travelers peace-of-mind that not just any bum can get inside the hotel.
The room was quiet, clean and modern. We stayed in a studio which is just one room with a bed, sofa, kitchen, desk and a bathroom. The kitchen had everything we needed for our stay. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the rooms were quiet enough to be able to sleep in every morning.
The hotel is right across the street from a grocery store and gas station so it is convienent to stock up on things for your long stay.
I do wish that the rooms offered a dvd player in the room so you can rent movies though. Since it is an extended stay hotel, it should have dvd players in the rooms.
I highly recommend this hotel, we had no problems and I would stay here again next time we visit the beautiful state of Maine.

• Liked — Modern and clean
  • Disliked — No dvd players in the rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank krystennicole
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough? Share your experiences!