“Slightly above average hotel but better choices close by”

Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Providence, Rhode Island
“Slightly above average hotel but better choices close by”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have always been curious about TownPlace Suites and wondering what made this hotel different from Residence Inns being that both are extended stay accommodations. Both hotels are on the same property near a Sam's Club, Cumberland Farms and Shaw's Supermarket (very convenient location not far from the mall and highway). I decided to stay at TownPlace Suites because of the competative rate. I now know why it is slightly less expensive than the others. There are very few amenties... little things like pen & note pad in the room, disposible coffee cups, and a bare bones breakfast without seating. The things that really matters like a comfortable bed, clean rooms, courtous service was par with the other Marriott hotels. I probably wouldn't stay there again for two reasons... The computer that sets the key cards was broken and the front desk had a very difficult time getting a key for me. There was a good chance that I was not going to be able to stay there and would have to move to the Residence Inn. (Somewhat problematic since it was 9:30 at night and I was tired from the long drive) And TownPlace Suites are like Residence Inn and Fairfield Inns that have very skimpy comfortors. I do not understand why these hotels located in New England give such thin bedding. I will go back to Hampton Inn down the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the TownPlace Suites in Scarborough Maine for one night while visiting family. I was pleasantly surprised at to how clean and well kept this hotel was. We have stayed at other hotels in Maine and this is by far the best we have stayed in and for the price. The room was spacious and comfortable. The kitchenette was perfect. This hotel is central to many things to do in Maine. We would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Portland area of Maine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were here for about 5 days. Everything was clean and adequate. Nothing special here. It is a decent size suite, but it is very plain. The staff was very nice and helpful with suggestions and directions. Pets are allowed, which may be a plus for some. One guest had a Huge (and I do mean huge) dog that she often brought to the lobby area. Not a comforting sight for some people, but the dog appeared friendly enough.

If you're looking for a nicely appointed hotel with amenities, this is not your place. If you just want a comfortable place to sleep, this is your spot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KennetteR
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This property is quite nice but for a few little things. The location is quite good - not too far from the Maine Mall and the airport and easy access to I295 and I95. The staff is very friendly. Breakfast is skimpy and makes you want to go to Dunkin Donuts which are all over Maine. The mattress in the room I had needed replacement unless you like rolling into the middle all the time. Ok for one person in the bed but difficult if you have a party of two!

I liked having a refrigerator and stove in the room even though I did not use them. That is a nice convenience for some people. Having free internet, either WiFi or wired is great. I will never understand why hotels like this one and similar ones can offer free internet and the 5-star hotels have to charge you for it on top of their high rates!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reumann
Portland, Maine
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My friends and I needed a vacation from our problems, so since we were coming from the area the location wasn't our biggest priority. Although our suite seemed smaller than the pictures, it was clean, cozy and comfortable! The shower curtain was cute and I didn't hate the wall art. All of our interactions with the staff were satisfactory. My only complaint is that the heater and the refrigerator made loud humming noises throughout the night, so light sleepers should come prepared.

Finally, if you find a good price on these suites, book it! I waited a day and the price went up almost $20.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Natick
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you are going to stay for more than week, this would be a great place. The staff was terrific, and the rooms were clean and equipped with everything you need ; including an oven. The internet required an Ethernet connection (supplied). While they advertised a breakfast, it may have been the poorest I have ever had. Despite that, if I was going to stay somewhere for a couple of weeks or more, this would be ideal. The Location is also good, not far from shopping or the interstate.

Room Tip: Plan to make a good breakfast in your room; there is a Shaw's Market within walking distance to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lisle, IL
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I felt very secure because the hotel was set in back from the main road and card key access was required at every entrance. The room was very nice and quiet with a complete kitchen. The location was really convenient to the airport and the expressway on-ramp. The breakfast was good, except that there was no choice of bagels, only plain. Also, the pool was supposed to be open the whole month of September, but it was locked when we were there from September 24 to 26. It was a bit chilly, but I still would have gone for a dip if the pool were warm and unlocked. I would probably opt for a hotel with an indoor pool next time.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough? Share your experiences!