“Reasonable sized room but comfortable”

Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Indonesia
“Reasonable sized room but comfortable”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel located 10 minutes from Portland and 20 minutes from famous Portland Lighthouse. However, it's just near the big shopping mall which easy for us to find food especially Asian food. The room is not so big but fit to accommodate four of us and it's clean and well maintained. Breakfast has several choice of hot entrees and cold ones. Coffee, milk and juices also available. What is nice about this hotel that the General Manager looked very friendly and greet us in the morning during breakfast. She also have some chit chat with all hotel guest. So far we are satisfied staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New Britain, Connecticut
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Property is a very good value for your dollar. The elevator was well worn, and placed in a unique location in the entrance way. The room was clean and adequate. Parking was convenient. Easy access to the highway, and to Portland which is a great city!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orono, Maine, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a hard review to write accurately, because in many ways this was a terrific stay! The property is very clean, the room reasonably sized for the price/level of hotel, loved having a microwave and fridge in the room. Breakfast had a great variety of foods to choose from, and although we didn't use the pool, it looked sparkling clean and we wanted to take a fast dip on the way out although time didn't allow. THe staff was friendly, and we never heard any highway noise at all. Unfortunately, room 212 had the worst beds I've ever attempted to sleep on. They seemed like they would be fine, but they are very soft, and when you sit on the edge of the bed, it actually sinks down. I was reading while laying on the bed, and had to get up after about 30 mins. as I'd developed a backache. Both my daughter and I felt these mattresses were too soft and jiggly, and she likes a soft mattress. I ended up sleeping right straight down the middle of the bed, with my head at the foot, as there was more support at the bottom of the bed than across the top. I awoke with an annoying cramp in the center of my back. My daughter, who thought she was going to get a great sleep, struggled all night. Not only did she not get much rest, but she developed a neck spasm from trying to sleep on this bed. I've stayed in hotels with not great, thin mattresses, and I am the person who volunteers for the sofa bed when we stay in suites, so I am not necessarily terribly picky about mattresses, but this one really was dreadfully uncomfortable, and almost un-sleepable (I was shocked that I was actually able to get some sleep on this bed). SO... while we really liked this hotel, we will not be going back. Hopefully for the Fairfield Inn, the mattress issue is isolated to this one room, but we aren't willing to take the chance on another uncomfortable night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
George
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Less expensive than staying in Portland. We took taxis into Portland (3 couples so asked for a taxi for 6) which cost around $20. Ask at the desk for a coupon. Small room but adequate for traveling. Nice pool and a very friendly and accommodating staff. Would stay here again when in the area. Free breakfast and a great sports bar across the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights. Location just outside of Portland was fine. The highway does run right by the hotel, but we never heard any highway noise. Staff were friendly. My husband and son appreciated the snacks that were left out in the afternoon. My son loved the pool and we swam a lot. The pool is heated.

This hotel has a couple of annoying quirks. First, as other low-rated reviews have stated, the sheets just do not seem to fit the bed. They are too small. Every morning we would wake up, and be sleeping half on bare mattress. Gross!!! There is a naked duvet sandwiched between two flat sheets. The duvet (which I doubt is washed between every guest?) is not actually enclosed in a proper duvet cover. Additionally, the "king" sized bed could not have truly been a king. It was a weird queen-and-a-half. Third, the hair dryer was found in a drawer under the tv. The bathroom counter is TINY and there is no room for a hair dryer. It was a very cheap mini hair dryer, with no "cool" button. Yes, I suppose being particular about this I should have brought my own. But for anyone else, forewarned is forearmed.

Breakfast and cleanliness were average and no complaints. Given there is no real space crunch here and that I have stayed in larger hotel rooms in Manhattan, I don't understand why the rooms are so small, but they are.

It's not the best. And they definitely need linens that fit the bed! But I suppose you could do worse.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Framingham, MA
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We used a free Marriott night, rolled in late at 11 pm and our room was ready, with a cot and a fridge as requested. The bed was comfortable, my wife is usually very picky about this and she had good things to say! Pool was warm, but small. We didn't do breakfast but it was free. Small lobby, parking in front and back. Pricey if I was paying for it, but would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my first ever stay at a Fairfield Inn. I wanted to stay in a nice hotel in this area. Location was great, hotel was nice and clean, staff was friendly, free breakfast (even eggs and turkey sausage [I think that's what that was]. Busy hotel, but i was very happy to not hear other people when in my room. Room was fine, but bathroom a bit small (shower curtain too close to toilet). Arm chairs in the breakfast room were comfortable, but took up a lot of room. I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank shelbyduncan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 13 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,246 reviews

Been to Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall? Share your experiences!