“Disgusting! A very disappointing stay” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Peoria, AZ
“Disgusting! A very disappointing stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past five years and it was fine for the price, nothing fancy, but courteous staff. However, our last visit, on June 8, 2012, was horrible. Upon arrival in the room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. When we called down to the front desk we were advised that we weren't smelling smoke - it was the room heater (really? I think most people know the difference between cigarette smoke and heater). When we went into the bathroom, there were multiple hairs on the sink and a lot of hair in the bathtub. We had a room with two queen beds. Between the bed and the nightstand, there was all kinds of crumbs and dirt - very obvious it hadn't been cleaned for a long time.

The worst thing, though, was when my daughter pulled back the duvet and sheets and exposed the inside of the bedding. There was a bunch of hair. =( It was one of the most disgusting things I've seen - and I travel extensively. We called the front desk and the lady who brought up the new bedding was rude and certainly not apologetic.

The icing on the cake was when we were getting ready the next morning. Check out time is at noon. At 10 a.m. a houskeeping staff member walked right into our room - didn't knock or anything. Thankfully we were clothed. She said the front desk told her we had checked out.

A miserable experience - I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Extremely small rooms and bathrooms. No closet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Belinda17
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I have met with the team as well as maintenance department & resolved the housekeeping & maintenance issues. There is no excuse for any of the issues that you experienced during your stay. If you would contact me directly here at the hotel I would be happy to reimburse you for your stay. The phone number here is 207-883-0300.
We can only get better by finding out where our faults are, thank you again and I look forward to assisting you further.

Ariel McDonald
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed here on the first night of our honeymoon.
Beds were comfy, rooms were clean, and my husband really enjoyed the large HD tv since we've had no cable since Christmas!! Not to mention that they serve lemonade, coffee, and chocolate chip cookies in the lobby all day :)
In the morning we went to the continental breakfast and were offered the special "honeymoon waffles"! This was by far the best continental breaksfast we saw in four hotels over the past week. Lots of selection, something for everyone and fresh waffles delivered to your table! Also received a nice card from the front desk staff congratulating us on our marriage.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie-Ann C
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have stayed at Fairfield Inn's before but by far this one has been the best. When we checked in the lady at the front desk let us know that they were having chili in the dining area, which was perfect. It was cold and raining out. What a perfect way to warm up and relax. The rooms are fabulous. Great size and the beds are the most comfortable. The breakfast the following morning was also awesome. There was a gentleman there that made your waffles for you so that you could make the rest of your meal and he brought it to you. The staff is AWESOME. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arvaco35
PATRIOT4657
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

My family and I stayed here for one night after flying into Boston and we were staying elsewhere in Maine and did not want a very long drive in just one day.

We got to the room about noon after a midnight flight to Boston. We were pleasantly surprised that they had a room ready for us. After checking in we went to a nearby Walmart to stock up on some essentials for our trip.

The next morning we went down for breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs, egg mcmuffin, cereals and i think waffles. It was all very good

The only problem we had with the room was that the fridge was not working. We did not complain but did mention to maintenance who happened to be in the corridor as we were leaving to check out. As we were checking out in the lobby the same maintenance person came down and said there was a kink in the hose in the back of fridge and that was why it was not cooling. He told the front desk to take some money off our room bill. I declined as I only mentioned for the next guest who may stay in room. They insisted that I at least grab a bottle of soda and a couple of waters for the road. I agreed and said goodbye.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area as well as the Mane Mall across the street.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PATRIOT4657
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

When I received my credit card bill I noticed an additional charge for $250.00. Upon calling I was informed it was a Smoking Charge. I do not smoke, and will only stay in non smoking rooms(at least 50 nights per year) and have never had anything like this issue.
do not stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JOSEPH41616
Fairfield Inn P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Good Morning Joseph,

I am glad we were able to chat yesterday about the error we made. I apologize again for the mistaken charge on your account. Unfortunately we had the wrong contact information on file which contributed to you not receiving our call about the suspected smoking, which we have now figured out where it came from. I am hopeful that you may return and give us another chance, the incidence of someone smoking in one of our rooms is extremely rare as Marriott has a very strict policy. I am very sorry for the confusion and this was my fault. As I told you the charges were credited on our end and you should see this reflect in the next day or two on your account. I hope you have an Excellent day!

Ariel McDonald
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,223 reviews
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Been to Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall? Share your experiences!