“Worst place in our New England Travels”

Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Tucson, Arizona
“Worst place in our New England Travels”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We have been traveling all over New England and found this to be the worst place that we stayed at. We normally follow Trip Advisors ratings and are unsure of how others rated this so high. First of all, the motel is not as the picture appears on the internet. I will try and provide a clear analysis of our visit. First, At best, I would give this a 2 star. The hotel is old, and very basic. The price is very good, location is ok. When we pulled up, it appeared ok but not great. We went to the office and were told that our King Bed rooms were only available on the 2nd floor. They have no elevator so I explained that my wife was handicapped and unable to climb the stairs. We asked to see other rooms and were shown a twin double room. Very old and it smelled. We were shown another room and it also smelled. It was apparent they had an odor problem as several rooms had their windows wide open. We asked to cancel our reservation and the receptionist (Meena) that we would have to call America Best Value Inn to cancel. I did this and was told by them that the Hotel would need to cancel. I went back to Meena and was again that America Best Value Inn would need to Cancel. I again called the company and they said that the individual hotel was sent a cancellation but they would need to stop the charge to my credit card. I again went to Meena and she said she couldn't read any emails and that the owner Jay Patel, would need to do this and he wasn't available. After going back and forth, we left and went down the street to Comfort Inn. Very nice, a little more money but we slept well and had a nice breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rbemiller
Jay P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
It is very disapponting 2 rooms was not charged although the cancellation policy was passed and at time of checking in we canceled 2 rooms without charging to guest.
I would let the guest know when you book reservation with third party, you can only cancel room with them, that way we avoid paying commissions to third party.
We have all our king rooms on second floor only, which was not acceptable so we try to help them by providing room with two beds on ground level. We leave windows open to circulate air and we have two windows in our motel rooms which circulate natural air and not due to odor problem. To get fresh air is one reason why people visit great state of Maine.
In my opinion to paint picture (guessing) without color (actually staying) is not a good idea. Yes this guest did not stay for whatever reason and I do apologies for any inconvenience to them. We help people to make their stay enjoyable and not force them to stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melrose
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here one night and were quite satisfied. The room we had was quite large, a king sized bed, and two arm chairs, and a refrigerator. The bathroom was quite large. The entire place was very clean. Breakfast was just basic - coffee and packaged danish, but that was fine. The price of the room was half of what it would have been in downtown Portland because of the marathon.
The check-in person was friendly & efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I liked the location of this place because we were driving into Portland most days and it was very easy to get there from here. (Portland hotels were too expensive) I also liked that it was set off by itself on a neighborhood dead end street. We walked down this street several mornings for a pleasant stroll. We felt very safe here.
The place was clean and a good size. The beds were comfortable, everything worked, and we even had a refrigerator.
They offered a simple breakfast of cereal and Danish with coffee, juice, and tea which we ate several mornings, nothing special but eatable for a quick bite.
There was a nice bench outside our room we sat on and there was plenty of parking. The staff lady was pleasant. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor allow you to park right in front of your room. The second floor requires...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AnnaItaly2014
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was nice place to stay and staff was friendly. Nicely located on US 1, closely to where we need to visit. Well kept grounds and nice flowers. Clean large room was plus with refrigerater. Will return.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank GreatLarry
Maine
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Firstly I had very nice and pleasant conversation with some lady employee over the phone who quoted the price and potential "AAA" discount. So, we made a reservation.
When we showed up manager (Jayesh) seemed to be in a very bad mood and very rude from the very start. Then I mentioned possibitiIy of "AAA" discount. He immediately accused me of lying and saying that he wants us to get out. I said that it should be no problem and we'd like to stay for a regular price. He was still fuming and said that we should leave.
We left and found another clean and decent property within 5 minutes.
Now we realize that we were lucky comparing to what other "guests" experienced with this person.

So for us the lesson was: to read all previous Tripadvisor reviews more carefully.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank plunger007
Jay P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I do apologies for inconvenience you experienced while you were at Americas Best Value Inn Scarborough Maine. Since you booked room online at rate which was lower than AAA rate I have no authority to reduce your lower rate. I would suggest you to book on www.americasbestvalueinn.com in order get your desire rate. We have few different rates available there.
Once again I do apologies and regret that I was not able to meet your expectations
Goshen, Indiana
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Clean place, everything as advertised. She brought us extra towels and was helpfull when asked about local restaurants Its located in a nice area and there is a micro brewery close by .Portland is real close and kinda expensive and Kennebunkport .in the other direction is real expensive .Nice big and clean bathroom and just hard to beat for the money. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here last October while shopping and exploring the area. The service was great, the room was extremely clean and comfortable. I am returning this year with girlfriends! Highly recommend! It is central to many of the shopping areas, and close to lots of amenities!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Comfort Inn & Suites
Ramada Plaza Portland
#13 of 19 in Portland
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland? Share your experiences!