“Got evicted because we asked for a refrigerator”

Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“Got evicted because we asked for a refrigerator”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER! The hotel was staffed by a rude shady manager who called the cops on my girlfriend and I because we wouldn't sign a paper retracting our complaints. Full story below:

As soon as we got to the hotel they billed my credit card, and gave us the room keys. My girlfriend and I brought some food to keep in the frige so we didn't have to eat out every night. However, when we got to our room we noticed there wasn't a fridge. That wasn't the only complaint we had, the room had a tinge of an odor, and we were so far away from the wireless router our computers/smartphones/ipad couldn't connect to it. The odor and lack of wifi we could have lived with, but we were expecting a refrigerator (I thought they just came standard in hotel rooms, like TVs, but I guess I was mistaken). Nevertheless, we politely went down to the front desk to see if we could get a room with a frige and if possible one with better access to the wifi.

The woman behind the counter told us that they were pretty booked up, and the only way we could get a refrigerator is if we changed rooms every night. A frige wasn't worth that much effort, so we just decided to keep our room.

Ten minutes later the phone rings, it was the manager. In a very curt tone, he told us that we needed to come down to the front desk and sign paper saying that we didn't have any complaints. I found this to be an extremely strange and paranoid request, and refused to do it. At this point in time, I felt the not having a frige problem was our fault, I didn't know we had to request a room with one and I was prepared to live without it. However, the manager was very aggressive in getting us to resend our complaints. Nevertheless, I reminded him I already paid for the room, but I wasn't going to sign a piece of paper that put words in my mouth I didn't agree with. Upon reflection, I think that document was his way to protect himself from me doing exactly what I'm doing right now.

Five minutes after the first phone call, he calls back again. This time with an ultimatum: either we sign the document or leave. I get on my iPhone to start trying to find another hotel, because who wants to stay at a hotel where the service gives you ultimatums? However, my girlfriend nervous and scared goes down to try and talk to them.

She comes back on the verge of tears, and tells me that he accused her of trying to con her way into a discount (we never brought up money ever) and then tells her we have to leave because he thinks we are going to vandalize the hotel room.

Then the manager comes out of the front office after my girlfriend yelling at us that we need to leave the hotel right now. My girlfriend starts to pack up what little we unpacked as the unrelenting manager continues to yell at us to get out. While my girlfriend carefully packs her dress (we were in town for her cousin's wedding) and other belongings, he threatens to call the cops; as if that was suppose to scare us. I told him we didn't do anything wrong, and to call the cops if he wanted. So he did.

After we finished packing we went down to the front desk to get our money back. I told him that I wanted to go back up to the room with him as he looked it over to prove that we didn't vandalize the room. He told me that he couldn't go up to the room while we were still there. That was the moment I was happy the police were on their way. I was now scared that he was going to charge me for "vandalizing" the room after we left. If this guy wanted us out so badly he should have just agreed to my request and gone up to the room to notice that noting was wrong so he could refund me my money and we could be on our way. But no. He also said he wouldn't refund me until the cops came.

Eventually the cops came. After taking both our statements and running a background check on me, the cop went up with me to make sure the room wasn't vandalized, and then went up separately with the manager. After about ten minutes with the cop I had my refund and we were on our way.

We ending up staying that the Fairfield Inn by Marriott, just a few miles down the road closer to portland. It wasn't much more expensive; about 30 dollars a night. However, it was well worth it. The hotel was recently remodeled, our room had a fridge, HDTV, and wifi, and the service was very hospitable. It was an extremely pleasurable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mike C
, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I do apologies for inconvenience that you have experienced at Americas Best Value Inn Scarborough Maine. We tried our best to help you and want to make sure that you have a pleasant stay while you are here. That is our ultimate goal and due to that we have decided to have refrigerators in all rooms and we added refrigerator to all rooms.
Once again I do apologies that I was not able to help and satisfy your requirements when you were here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Great stay, yummy breakfast!
Absolutely great service

• Stayed May 2012
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2012

What a surprise.....exceptionally clean, pleasant owners and inexpensive! I Highly recommend! Gail & Norm

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MillbrookMotel A, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
I would like thank you for your time and was very happy that your stay was excellant at our location.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Short take: Clean, inexpensive, convenient, comfortable, no bad smells!!!!

Long version: We were very happy with our stay at this hotel. We were worried at first because it was a very good price ($52/ night, May 2012), and you know the saying: "you get what you pay for." But we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a room on the second floor (Non-smoking). The room was very clean. The bathroom was a good size and the tub and sink looked almost new. The room was comfortable. The staff was nice. The location was good in that it was just off of route 1, there was easy access in and out of the hotel onto route 1 and it was close to major highways. There were many good places to eat in the area including Indian, Thai and of course seafood. Just about a mile up the road is a good coffee house (Scarborough Grounds). The hotel provided a continental breakfast which was about the only thing we did not like. Overall the hotel was a good place to stay and we have stayed in many hotels in the US and abroad. We would definitely stay there again if we were ever in that area again. Next time I visit I would ask for the same room again (I would not reveal my room number for fear everyone else would try and book it). Anyway the owner seems to be interested in upgrading the place because I overheard him instructing the staff to repair and paint one of the rooms after the guest in that room checked out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary F
millbrookmotel, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for taking time and providing your feedback on Americas Best Value Inn, Scarborough Maine.
Vermont
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Found this lovely inn just by chance. Couldn't believe the quality with such a reasonably price! Clean, neat and newly furnished. The owners were so pleasant and very accomodating. Not directly on the beach but with the pricing and accomodating make up for it! Lots of good seafood restaurants nearby as well. I'm definitely recommending this inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joan M
Whittier, California
Reviewed March 30, 2012

The rooms are huge, the location is fantastic! I will never stay at another inn in the area besides this one. America's Best Value Inn lives up to it's name by literally providing the best value, particularly for a coastal area like Southern Maine. My expectations were exceeded by the comfort of the extra large rooms, the hospitality of the staff, and the convenience of the location (5 minutes to the ocean, or 5 minutes to shopping and restaurants.)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Eastport, Maine
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My wife and I and our golden retriever stayed one night at Americas Best Value in Scarborough Maine in late summer of 2011. Perhaps it was because we got the dog room that explains why it was so lacking in amenities. There wasn't even a coffee maker. The first impression of our room was that it was........ not new, perhaps a little dreary. But the room was clean, the wi-fi and TV worked fine. The beds and bedding were comfortable and overall we got a decent nights sleep. However with the lack of amenities, we were glad that we were only staying one night. We were unfamiliar with the area and had a hard time finding a place to eat. There was a lot of traffic and it's hard to maneuver and look at the same time. In the context of economy motels, this was a good value, a little above average for this type of motel. A decent nights sleep at a low price. Though a coffee maker, even for the "dog" room would have been nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Comfort Inn & Suites
Ramada Plaza Portland
#12 of 19 in Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,520 reviews
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland? Share your experiences!