If you're visiting southern Maine, you can find dozens of cheap motels on Route 1. The hard part is avoiding the real flea bags and some of them are occupied mostly by transients and welfare recipients, so watch out.
Pride Motel, on Route 1 about a mile beyond the Saco town line, is a good bet for a relatively clean, quiet and safe stay. It's family run and has well-manicured grounds, including an outdoor pool.
The buildings have been a motel for nearly a half century, though, and the wear and tear shows. I stayed there three Monday nights in a row on job related travel and there was always something awry - one night the cable tv connection didn't work, another night, the room had the essence of a little more "eau de motel carpet" than I prefer and a third, hot night the electric heat seemed to be on as the room was always 15 degrees hotter than the
outdoors. The air conditioner had to be run at full to bring the temps down. But at least there was a good working air conditioner and the other guests were respectable, regular, quiet tourist types.
There's no morning coffee, but they give you a stove, refrigerator and full complement of cooking utensils, including an old fashioned percolator, as well as dishes. It looks like the old fashioned vacation type motel for families, aimed at people who might want to settle in there for the entire vacation week.
Prices during peak summer months, and are probably too much for the condition and noisy Route 1 location, (if you're paying around $100 a night, why not just go to a reliable chain hotel?) but are a bargain off season, and I was able to get an off season rate until the end of June.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pride Motel & Cottages in Scarborough, Maine offers ten uniquely individual cottages and seven motel rooms comfortably appointed with cable TV, air conditioning/heat, private bath, fully equipped kitchens, daily maid service, and sleeps 2 to 8 people. If you're planning a Maine vacation, we hope you'll consider staying with us - we have spacious grounds with picnic areas, a heated pool, and a recreation room with laundry facilities. Uncrowded Maine beaches, amusement parks, and fine restaurants are all nearby. We are also centrally located for day trips to outlet shopping in Freeport and Kittery, touring inland and coastal vistas, or exploring all that Portland, Maine has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire and Travelocity so you can book your Pride Motel & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pride Motel And Cottages
- Pride Motel & Cottages Hotel Scarborough
- Pride Motel & Cottages Maine/Scarborough