“Super 'Down Home' Maine Experience”

Pride Motel & Cottages
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband, 18 month old son and I stayed at the Pride Motel last night. We were looking for someplace reasonably priced and comfortable while visiting Portland for a friend's birthday. We were completely charmed by our accommodations in this small motel, which is conveniently located on Rt. 1 in Scarborough. The owners were very sweet and welcoming. Our son was smitten with their skittish bichon frise, Alex Trebek. He also enjoyed playing on the sturdy jungle gym, running around the expansive lawn, and checking out the hens in the cool chicken coop in the back of the property. We'd like to thank Dave, the property manager, for volunteering to show us the baby chicks! They were adorable! There is also a really lovely greenhouse on the property and it is obvious that someone has 2 really green thumbs. Our room was comfortable, clean and had plenty of room for our son's pack n' play. We didn't notice any traffic noise from rt. 1 and got a good night's sleep. We have already discussed returning to stay at one of the Pride's cute cottages for a long weekend this summer. The owners told us that they are opening the pool Memorial Day Weekend. I think this is the perfect spot to vacation affordably near Portland and the beaches. There are so many family-friendly activities near by and it is a nice place to spend some time.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank K8eWinkle

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We have stayed at the Pride twice before, most recently in October when our son was getting married. We had been so impressed with it from our first stay, that we recommended it to our siblings as a place to stay for the wedding. The price was reasonable and although it was worn, it was very clean and quaint. We are presently at the Pride for another visit to the area. Unfortunately, this will be our last stay. We arrived in our room to find it dirty. Thick dust covered everything. I wiped everything down in order to feel comfortable enough to unpack. The wet cloth was black when I finished. There were even rings on the bed stand where someone had placed a drink. There were items on the floor from the last tenant of the room. There were hairs in the bathroom. We honestly felt uncomfortable walking on the floors without shoes on. I went to the office to ask for the computer code for my laptop. When I rang the bell for service, a male voice from the back room loudly stated, "What do they want now?" On the second day we arrived back to our room at 5:00 to discover there had been no maid service. I called the manager who informed me it was provided every other day during the off season. I had to ask for fresh towels and we made up the beds. We were not informed of this policy change, as we had stayed here before off season, we expected the same services. Consequently, we spent very little time in our room. Our little mini school vacation get away had a definite damper on it due to the Pride Motel and its lack of hospitality. In a region rife with available housing for visitors, I suspect that the Pride, under its new ownership, will quickly lose its long standing reputation as a reasonable and quaint vacation destination. As I post this on Trip Advisor, I strongly urge anyone visiting the Portland area to avoid The Pride Motel and Cottages!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank zancooneymcd41769
helloguests, Owner at Pride Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

May 1, 2012

Needless to say that my wife and I, who are the new, proud owners of the Pride Motel, were devastated by the most recent review. We truly hope that the saying that you're never as good as your best review or as bad as your worst is true. One of the reasons that we bought the property is that we were impressed by its long list of good to excellent reviews. We regret that we let down the previous owners' good reputation.

Our intention in buying the property was to maintain its high standards and in what ways possible improve on them. It seems that we still have much work to do. Being in the midst of moving and settling in, we apparently were a little lax in our responsibilities. There was construction going on creating dust and being the off season we didn't worry about refreshing. We did learn one important lesson. A room that has been carefully cleaned on a Monday is no longer as clean the following Monday, even if it hadn't been used. We now know that, especially during the off season, that all rooms must be constantly checked.

We continue to make improvements. We added two gazebos and a glider swing. The drivaway was paved to keep down the dust. More flowers have been planted. We even added six chicks to our aging hen population. My wife, Jati, and her sister, Iing, and our manager, Dave, are always around to make you feel welcomed and to help you in any way that they can. If you have any flower questions, see me, Jerry. I have the greenhouse and am familiar with most of the plants that beautify our property. But we must give the O'Reillys credit for planting many of them.

The above review, as painful as it was, has taught us an important lesson. It's not your previous 42 good reviews that are important; it is your next one that must be the best. We will try to make all our future reviews the best. We will NEVER forget that lesson.

Your hosts,

Jati, Iing, Jerry, Dave, and Alex

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is a great family owned motel. We got a - for motel standards - pretty handsome room, that was also very clean. Noise from the highway was limited. There's a computer for use in the lobby. They don't serve breakfast, but there's coffee. The price was very competitive and could beat anything in Portland.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeV84
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I only stayed one night with my girlfriend, but we both loved the room. If you're expecting a 5-star hotel, you will likely be disappointed, but the room was clean, everything worked, and you had the sense it was more like staying in a small cabin then a motel room. Having a small kitchen was nice (though we didn't get to use it), and the cabins are set back just far enough from the highway for some peace & quiet.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place to anyone staying near Portland, though there may be a few places you could get cheaper if cost is a major issue. The prices here are quite reasonable, though, so if cost is similar I would definitely choose Pride! :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph A
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My new wife and I travelled around Maine for our honeymoon this past week and had not expected the Pride Motel and Cottages to be as pleasant as we found them! They were impeccably clean and the staff was wonderful! Great experience and we would be pleased to recommend and re-visit Pride Motel and Cottages.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the cottages and it was VERY clean and neatly organized.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travellingfoo33691
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We have been staying in Cottage #10 when attending my Libby Family Reunions every year - for many years. It's convenient not only to the Reunion location but also to the places where we like to shop and eat. Several of my extended family members also stay here when attending the Reunion.
We really like the cottage! It's quite cozy & comfortable. The fully supplied kitchen is a big plus! The cottage is roomier and much more private (therefore quieter) than a motel room.
We enjoy it enough so that we stay over a couple of extra days (after our function is done) and sit and relax.
We like having the chickens next to the cottage. They are fun to watch.
The cottage and the grounds are extremely well maintained.
Allen Humphries
Saugus, MA

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Allen H
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed in cabin 2 for 4 nights, while attending our son'e wedding in Portland. The Pride is conveniently located for many reasons. Staying at the Pride is a bit like stepping back in time....very retro. It is well-worn, but very clean. The cabins are well equipped. My siblings rented rooms in the motel, and each room had an efficiency kitchen. Off season, the price is the best in the area! We would definitely stay there again. We were slightly disappointed that the pool was closed already, as some of the days were in the 80s.

Room Tip: Off season rates are good. If you are looking for fancy this is not for you.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family