“Lots of food for a reasonable price”
Review of Dunstan School Restaurant - CLOSED

Dunstan School Restaurant
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a restaurant in a former elementary school. All the classrooms are converted to dining rooms or a bar. It is a buffet restaurant with tables of hot foods, salads, cold foods and deserts. There is a carving station for ham and roast beef. The food is not gourmet but it is fresh and well prepared. You can add a lobster to your dinner for about $8. Great place to bring the family.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We ate here for breakfast on Sunday, 23 June. There are many separate dining rooms in this restaurant, and we were seated in the lounge, which has 8 or more TVs, all turned on to about 5 different stations, including an infomercial, news, sports, and cartoons (and one broadcasting sound), plus there was a radio with oldies music playing on top of the TV audio. While the lounge might be just the place for a Friday night drink, it was utterly without charm for a Sunday morning breakfast/brunch. This was a big negative for us. We were visiting from out of town and didn't know to ask for another, less noisy and media-filled, room.

The breakfast buffet is gigantic. There is a taco bar; an egg bar (with made-to-order omelettes, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, egg casseroles, and other egg dishes); a salad bar; a fruit and yogurt bar; soft ice cream; lots of cereals, bagels, muffins, donuts and breads; waffles and pancakes; biscuits and gravy; lots of meats - sausages, bacon, ground beef, corned beef hash, etc.; and more. I had the pre-cooked scrambled eggs, hot off their grill, and they were delicious, much better than most buffet eggs. The biscuit (without gravy) was too dry, though,even with butter on it. Spouse liked his egg dish (a casserole with mushrooms, I think), the meats, and the breads. The sign on the way in said that we could add a lobster for $8; not sure whether this is true for breakfast or only for the lunch/dinner buffet.

Coffee, tea and OJ are not included in the buffet price. Refills of coffee, tea and Coke products are free but you have to pay for them once instead of these drinks being included, as they often are with buffets. But at least the waitress told us this right away, before we ordered.

Service was good. The waitress was available, refilled drinks quickly, and was quick to remove used dishes.

This a very big restaurant, a good place to go with a group or a large family. Very kid-friendly. Not great (no ambiance, quite busy and loud) for couples.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Terrific food and all you can eat. The clam chowder was the best I ever had. Crab legs, clams, roast beef and turkey, ham, salads and a taco bar. Fresh homemade blueberry pie. Was great.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was a recent winner of a gift card from Dunstan School Restaurant on their Facebook page. My husband, son and I visited the restaurant on Saturday, June 1st, to use our card. The meal was very good (fried clams are the best I have had). Everything was fresh and hot and their was plenty of choices from salad, soup, to main courses. Dessert was plentiful (lemon cream pie was delicious). We were fortunate to have two waitresses, Cassandra and Jen (who was in training). Both were very courteous, attentive and made you feel welcomed. Thank you for our gift card and we look forward to visiting your restaurant in the future! Sharlene Myers, New Gloucester, Maine

1  Thank Sharfaye
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We recently went to Dunstan Schoolhouse. This is not the restuarant I remember. I hope that it is because it is still early in the tourist season. The food selection was minimal at best - very basic. The salad bar had very little items. The roast beef, mac and cheese and clam strips were good, but that was about it. The haddock was clearly made from frozen haddock.The lemon merinque pie was from a pudding recipe. Everything else was less than average. Such a disappointment. I so want to recommend this restaurant cause I have always enjoyed it; however, based on this recent experience, I would say it is an overpriced buffet and mediocre at best.

1  Thank BzzzMarch2013